Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2003, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. Thanks for the link. I book marked it.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 04-11-2003, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just started using the labor camp in Plano. I have had the same guy for a week now he is great and I pay him cash.

Jason
Old 04-15-2003, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Outrunjason,

++++I just started using the labor camp in Plano. I have had the same guy for a week now he is great and I pay him cash.++++

Do you plan to list the cash as an expense when you do your taxes? Do you plan to 1099 the expense?

I was considering this, but this scares the S--- out of me:

++++Despite the advantages, many businesses are wary of using ICs because they have heard about or experienced the consequences of misclassifying as ICs workers who are, legally, employees. And it's true that the consequences can be economically devastating. A business must pay the IRS all back taxes owed, with interest, plus a penalty of 12% to 35% of the tax bill.++++

http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/ency/a...A7DE4254733BE3

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 04-15-2003, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I don't know what I am going to do. Most likely I am not going to let the IRS know anything. There is know way they would know wether I have an employee or not. I pay that guy cash. No Records except for what I put in my computer.

Jason
Old 04-16-2003, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

The problem is not just not letting the IRS know that you paid cash. They won't care because you will pay the taxes if you do not show it as an expense. YOU want to report that you paid someone that money so that you don't pay taxes on it.

Look into it.....you can pay up to $600 in contract labor and are not required to call them your employee.

Adrian
Old 04-17-2003, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will have to look into that I had no Idea. I know I spend a lot more than $600 but I guess I could just show that much.

Jason
Old 04-18-2003, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Aviation to Lawn Care -- Dallas

Hello everyone--

As many of you know the aviation market has hit the bottom. I'm going to consider starting a lawn care and maintenance company. Can anyone give me pointers on what to do and not to do. I'm going after residential and some commercial accounts (have a few friends that own their own business). What is the standard rate per acre or better yet, how do you determine what to charge a customer? Also, what sort of license do you need to perform commercial work in the state of Texas? I already understand the business start-up requirements i.e.. Sales Tax ID.

Would you recommend I go to an irrigation class?

HELP!!!!!

Thank you,
Lonestar
Old 04-22-2003, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I am looking for any mowing jobs in the Mesquite, parts of Garland, Sunnyvale, Forney, Talty, and Combine area.

I also have to drive to McKinssey once a week and am looking for jobs along the route to McKinney.

Thanks,

I will pass on any landscaping and irrigation jobs that I receive.

Thanks,

Brian Kinsworthy
Old 04-27-2003, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Aviation to Lawn Care -- Dallas

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Hello everyone--

Also, what sort of license do you need to perform commercial work in the state of Texas? I already understand the business start-up requirements i.e.. Sales Tax ID.

Would you recommend I go to an irrigation class?

HELP!!!!!

Thank you,
Lonestar
You won't need a license to perform commercial work. You'd need a license if you want to legally do fert. and weed control. Also, a separate license for irrigation work. Commercial work usually require different amounts of insurance coverage. The more you can afford, the more commercial work you'll qualify to bid on. As far as a irrigation class goes, if you have the time and money, I say go for it. It always helps to learn. Good luck
Old 04-29-2003, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site but have been in the business for the past nine years. Looking to grow it big this year. Add new equipment and aiming to have 50+ customers. Currently have 13 weekly or Bi-weekly customers. Live in Bedford and my area is pretty much here in Bedford but also do one in S. Keller. Looking to get more there around Davis and N. Tarrant in S. Keller and N. N.R.H. Also picked up two in Roanoke off an ad, don't know if they will go permanent or just an occasional basis but wouldn't mind having more in that area. Nice yards, not too big, nice neighborhood, can usually charge more in those areas. Also have a few duplexes, anyone else have some of those or know how much to charge for them. Concerned that I may be charging too much for them. Don't want to lose them but don't want to cheat myself either. Also looking to get a trailer. Found a brand new 6.5 x 12 landscapers trailer. Tandem 3500 lb. axles, 2 x 2 mesh lock box one weed eater rack, 4' mesh sides and ramp. New dealer trying to start up in the area selling it for $1525, made by stagecoach and has a one year warranty. Anyone know about stagecoach and how good they are? Checked prices and an equivalent trailer from Big Tex is $2449. Thanks in advance. Happy Mowing!

Brandon Moore
Just A.S.K. Lawn Service :blob3: