Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

permits

I am located N. of Austin and planning on starting a lawn care co. to just mow, I know I will need a tax # but can anyone tell me if I will need a permit or license to operate in Texas. I noticed several other states require one.
I am also looking for a good used 34"-36" walk behind.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Clark,

I see on your website that you are @ $30 per man-hour with a $90 minimum.

Do you have many problems with the minimum? I am at $36/man-hour on labor. Last year we had no minimum. This year, I am adding a $50 minimum.

http://www.meierslandscape.com/resid...nt/view/11/31/

Also, how are you handling estimates for the non-recurring work like shrub trimming and bed clean-ups?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 02-09-2006, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello N. Texas,
I am very new to the business so bare with me. I just started last May(2005) and was originally just going to do mow and go services, but I have loved landscaping since I was in my teens. (currently 29). I have about a dozen medium scale landscaping jobs under my belt that have made some decent money. I find that landscaping is where the good money is, especially for me being a weekender at the moment. My challenge is that I am now getting alot of " its too expensive" responses on my quotes. This is obviously discouraging, but if I know my work is good should I re-asses my pricing?? Any ideas guys. I can attach attach a couple of my recent quotes.
I just started a site in hopes of driving sales. It is very simple, and still adding pages..........any help at all is greatly appreciated as I am quite discouraged at the moment.....

Daniel Macias,Jr
Green Elegance Lawn & Landscape
www.green-elegance.com
Old 02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Daniel,

Welcome and Good Luck in the business! I started last March 2005 so I am new too. All my accounts are in Plano, Frisco, Allen, and Mckinney. I think you are leaving money on the table with those mowing prices. You are probably like me and don't have any overhead. Everything I make I put back into the business. Yes, it is true, I don't pay myself but think it will payoff. I won't mow a yard under $25 and my average is $35. Good luck! There is plenty for all of us.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DFW,

I have seen your site and like it. I like the disclaimers you have about "complaints" on bush trimming. Very straight forward.

To answer your question: We do loose lots of business over our "$30 per hour 3 hour minimum" for work other than mowing. This actually works out better for me. I am not into the "mow and go" type yard for the extras, as we make more than $30 per man hour "mowing and going".

Also, I don't give estimates for any extras on a "mow and go" type yard. I have even been on the "mow and go" crew once and had a home owner come out and talk to me about extras, I just told her to "call Jeff". Yes...I am Jeff, but she didn't have to know that!

To sum it up, the "extra jobs" are a waste of our time on these smaller yards.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Clark,

I think I may have seen you before over at Lesco in Southlake. Do you buy there?

I totally understand where you are coming from. I loathe everything about the shrub crew with the exception of my shrub crew leader. The equipment I have to buy & maintain for the shrub crew is unreal. The chipper is damn near impossible to keep running and if it's down, we can't work. Of course, without it, we'd need a free place to dump and I don't have that. I already know these residetial clients won't pay the disposal fees I'd need to charge. I will probably have to end up shelling out another $1,200 for a spare chipper this season. The dealer keeps telling me I should be ok with just one because it is commercial grade, but we have had it in the shop 4 times now since we bought it in July.

Worker injury is probably, like, 10X more likely with the shrub crew than it is with a mowing crew.

Then, there is the ridiculous nature of up and down demand for these services throughout the year. Everybody wants their shrubs trimmed in March & April but by September we will have very little in terms of demand.

On the flip side, if I told all my customers we don't do that stuff, I think many would find an LCO who does. What drives me nuts is the thought of a client who has a lawn mowing company calling me for the shrubs because their lawn mowing company doesn't do it and I come running. That thought makes me absolutely sick because the regular mowing is the easiest revenue to manage. At the same time, if my shrub crew doesn't have enough work to do, I suppose I'd be crazy to turn down work.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 02-11-2006, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DFW,

Yeah, I am in the Lecso store at Southlake every now and then. Wish I had know it was you...it is nice to put a face to a name!

I agree w/ you 100% about the pains of a "bed and bush" crew. Do you keep your "bed and bush" crew busy all season? I use my "Clark Landscape" crew on Saturdays to take care of these pruning requests. It is really just over time for my guys.

Do you run any "full service" crews?

What's your game plan for the year? Adding any crews?

My game plan is to add about 150 mow and go accounts. My only fear now is labor, as my H2B visas have been delayed by the government until after April. I will be scrambling through March on labor I am sure.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Would anyone be interested in doing sub-contract work in Mckinney, Frisco, Allen, and Plano for chemical application (herbicide, pesticide, fire-ant) and what would you charge?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Fire fighter,

your p.m' s are disabled. e-mail me jason @ Goodmanserviceslawncare.com

spray truck for sale http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=366891
Old 02-12-2006, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Equipment for Sale

I'm getting out of the business because of a bad back.
Selling off my
(1) 5x10 Hallmark Enclosed Trailer, 3 Trimmer Racks, Side Door & OH Light
(2) 32" Scag Walk Behind, 15Hp Kawasaki
(3) 21" Honda Commerical Lawnmower, HRC216KSXA
(4) Stihl Stick Edger, FC75
(5) Echo String Trimmer, SRM2100

All power equipment had Preventative Maintenance Service at Frisco Lawn & Power, receipts for service available.

If you're interested let me know by responding to post or call Scott @ 214-529-4318