Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if you use a trimmer to edge sidewalks and beds or if you switch to a edger for edging? I know that it saves time to edge with the string trimmer and if you do it enough you can get really good at it. I don't use a edger because it takes to much time to switch over to a different machine for something that one machine can do.
I run both If it needs edge then I use a edger

Nothing looks better then a edge that's done by a edger

To me its faster

I seen guys do it with a trimmer I can say they can edge good but If We had a foot race on edging My stick edge would win
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I think it looks terrible when people use a trimmer to edge.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree 100%. But no need to edge every time. touch up with trimmer for three or four weeks, then edge again!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
It really boils down to what you're working with. (the turf, not the equipment)
If I edged every week, you know what the blade would do? Nothing. It would be spinning along an already established little "trench" doing nothing.

The grass isn't creeping into that established edged, nor does it magically fill with dirt - not in a week, not in two weeks, not in a month. Not where I'm working anyway.

Once I cut an edge, it stays that way for a while and a trimmer line makes quick (and neat) work of the few blades of grass that are "falling over" into the edged area.

Exactly! Anybody ever notice an edger doesn't leave a crisp line of grass? Yes the dirt is clean and crisp but an edger does not cut the grass that lays over very good like a trimmer does. Maybe it is just the northern turf that it doesn't cut cleanly because northern turf is very limp where as southern turf is tough and stringy. We edge with an edger once or twice a year and use the trimmer the rest of the time.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

As a solo operator or maybe a two man show its not a big deal to use the string timmer. But when you start to add crews and are no linger on site everyday I can guarantee you will eventually end us with a small trench next to the concrete. I see guys all the time walking in the grass edging 1-2in off the concrete.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Exactly! Anybody ever notice an edger doesn't leave a crisp line of grass? Yes the dirt is clean and crisp but an edger does not cut the grass that lays over very good like a trimmer does. Maybe it is just the northern turf that it doesn't cut cleanly because northern turf is very limp where as southern turf is tough and stringy. We edge with an edger once or twice a year and use the trimmer the rest of the time.
Never notice that here in Midwest on cool season grass you must not be running it at full throttle
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis.landscape View Post
As a solo operator or maybe a two man show its not a big deal to use the string timmer. But when you start to add crews and are no linger on site everyday I can guarantee you will eventually end us with a small trench next to the concrete. I see guys all the time walking in the grass edging 1-2in off the concrete.
Posted via Mobile Device
^ i agree. I will absolutely lose my religion (almost) if i see one of the guys edging from the grass and not pulling against the concrete. Never say never, we may one day go to edging everything with edger for the above mentioned reason. But right now when right; trimmer is faster and more efficient looks just as good. my .02
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a stick edger the first week of mowing to establish the groove. For the rest of the season I use the Edgit PRO. One of the best investments I've made in the business.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuH4ekzddgU

Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I used a stick edger for the first part of last year, but found that a trimmer is easier to control and can give you a better defined edge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I seen guys do it with a trimmer I can say they can edge good but If We had a foot race on edging My stick edge would win
And how will you go to your truck unlock the cage put up your trimmer and get your edger lock the cage gas the edger and it won't start now what? I would have the edging with trimmer before you got to th end trailer. And the sad par t is you got two unique pieces of equipment and no backup for either.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
And how will you go to your truck unlock the cage put up your trimmer and get your edger lock the cage gas the edger and it won't start now what? I would have the edging with trimmer before you got to th end trailer. And the sad par t is you got two unique pieces of equipment and no backup for either.
What is a cage?
I pull up to the job and get out the truck grab the edger I edge and trim before we mow depending size of the lawn small lawns One guy is trimming and 1-2 guys edging smaller jobs 1 mow 1 trims 1 edge
Back ups I run 3 trimmers I run 3 edges I run 3 mower and 3 blowers. One breaks down and its going take time get parts I'll buy a new one and be done with it.

Stick edger you can run with one hand and walk or even run with it (I had a guy did that )
I like to see you free hand that trimmer for 5 hrs straight on one job for edging and there no way you walk as fast as I do with a stick edger I have a wheel I push.
I 'll be edging still when you are adding line to yours trimmer