Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Using a string trimmer just invites a lousy appearance if you have an inexperienced worker and even the old hands can mess-up or get lazy. Ragged edges invite crabgrass, dallisgrass, etc and breakdown your pre-emergent barrier. Grounds maintenance is a profession for some folks and sloppy work yields minimum wage results. Whatever happened to a work ethic and doing your best? Oh yeah, it got contracted-out with poor specs to the low bidder...
Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Professional View Post
Using a string trimmer just invites a lousy appearance if you have an inexperienced worker and even the old hands can mess-up or get lazy. Ragged edges invite crabgrass, dallisgrass, etc and breakdown your pre-emergent barrier. Grounds maintenance is a profession for some folks and sloppy work yields minimum wage results. Whatever happened to a work ethic and doing your best? Oh yeah, it got contracted-out with poor specs to the low bidder...
Want to know something funny?

I have a Brickman contract sitting here. It specifically says they will NOT allow string trimmer to be used when edging. As well as there should be a one inch trench
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Professional View Post
You are correct it takes a professional to make a nice edge with a trimmer. I say bull to trimmer affecting pre-m more than an edger that throws up a big bunch of dirt. We got 37 years and 10s of thousands of yard done with trimmers only and NO COMPLAINTS?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're really good at it, you can use the string trimmer and make it look as good as a stick edger or walk behind edger. Also amazes me how a lot of you on here don't edge weekly. Here edging is a major necessity
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlawncaresvc View Post
If you're really good at it, you can use the string trimmer and make it look as good as a stick edger or walk behind edger. Also amazes me how a lot of you on here don't edge weekly. Here edging is a major necessity
I edge everything when ever i mow. Some i do every other week but for the most part it is every week. Not sure how you can do it like once a month
Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Get an "Edgeit". You won't be sorry.

Mike
Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
What is a cage?
I pull up to the job and get out the truck grab the edger I edge and trim before we mow depending size of the lawn small lawns One guy is trimming and 1-2 guys edging smaller jobs 1 mow 1 trims 1 edge
Back ups I run 3 trimmers I run 3 edges I run 3 mower and 3 blowers. One breaks down and its going take time get parts I'll buy a new one and be done with it.

Stick edger you can run with one hand and walk or even run with it (I had a guy did that )
I like to see you free hand that trimmer for 5 hrs straight on one job for edging and there no way you walk as fast as I do with a stick edger I have a wheel I push.
I 'll be edging still when you are adding line to yours trimmer
I am with you.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Exactly! Anybody ever notice an edger doesn't leave a crisp line of grass? Yes the dirt is clean and crisp but an edger does not cut the grass that lays over very good like a trimmer does. Maybe it is just the northern turf that it doesn't cut cleanly because northern turf is very limp where as southern turf is tough and stringy. We edge with an edger once or twice a year and use the trimmer the rest of the time.
Actually faster for me to edge vertically and walk backwards....with a string trimmer. Looks better and my clients rave about my edging. First edge of the season or a new account I typically use my Echo PAS 280 with the edge attachment and/or my Tanaka TLE 600 WB and/or my McClane. Then I go back and edge vertically with a string trimmer to clean out the groove. I prefer Echo Crossfire 0.105" for this duty.

I would not hire anybody unless they could do the same. This limits the hiring pool dramatically. More aps...less mowing is the future.

Sadly most grass cutters here don't even run edgers of any kind. Typical burned up scalped edge with a touch of moss clinging to a sliver of turf.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
One machine is called an edger and the other machine is called something entirely different.

Both machines are named for the job they were designed to perform.

Some of us edge the edges with an edger and some of us use a trimmer to edge but one thing is for certain...no one uses an edger to trim.
Its trimming the edge though so it works out in the end. We use stick edgers for along sidewalks, but for flower beds and what not we use string trimmers flipped
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I use whatever works best for the property , one of my lawn's is about 4 inches higher then the sidewalk and just looks better when edged with the trimmer . On long stretches I prefer using a edger simply because of feeling uncomfortable . ( physically )
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Scott's Lawn Maintenance; 04-17-2014 at 09:31 PM.