Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

PVC Sizing

Hi all,
I am not a professional irrigation installer, but was wondering if I could seek your help with a irrigation question for my own home? If not, I apologize and moderator please delete this thread.

Here is my question:
I have a well that puts out 10 gpm at 50 psi. I have a cycle stop valve installed so I have a pretty consistent 50 psi. I am wanting to install a valve box 150' from my well. I am wanting to minimize pressure drop along this stretch so I was looking at installing 1.25'' schedule 40 pvc from my well to the valve box. I only have a 1'' schedule 40 line coming out of my well though. So, will going from a 1'' PVC to a 1.25'' pvc back to 1'' at the valve box cause issues? I will be running 1'' 200 psi for each zone lateral. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
Hi all,
I am not a professional irrigation installer, but was wondering if I could seek your help with a irrigation question for my own home? If not, I apologize and moderator please delete this thread.

Here is my question:
I have a well that puts out 10 gpm at 50 psi. I have a cycle stop valve installed so I have a pretty consistent 50 psi. I am wanting to install a valve box 150' from my well. I am wanting to minimize pressure drop along this stretch so I was looking at installing 1.25'' schedule 40 pvc from my well to the valve box. I only have a 1'' schedule 40 line coming out of my well though. So, will going from a 1'' PVC to a 1.25'' pvc back to 1'' at the valve box cause issues? I will be running 1'' 200 psi for each zone lateral. Thanks again.
I'd prefer 1.5 as the loss is less, the fittings and pipe are about the same price as 1.25 pipe and fittings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, will look into that. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

1-1/4" SCH 40 would lose about 1 psi over 150' vs. .5 psi with 1-1/2" both at 10 GPM. You are probably alright with either.