Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
Have the newer Exmark decks gone to a smaller discharge size?

I was at my local Exmark dealer the other day just browsing and was a little surprised at the size of the discharge chute opening. It's not nearly as large as Scag or a lot of other brands out there and it seems that a smaller discharge opening would hurt the amount of suction generated by the deck since a a smaller discharge opening would be like an obstruction in the exhaust. Surely, I'm wrong and Exmark knows exactly what they are doing. I do know one thing they goofed on and that was the single bolts sticking out holding the anti-scalp wheels on the deck. Everyone is going to hit something with those wheels some time and that bolt is going to bend when that happens.
1 Echo SRM-210
2 Echo SRM-225
1 Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had 3 of them and never bent a wheel stud.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The only issue with the smaller deck opening we have are with the walk behinds. They tend to clump a little more than the Lazers. We've never had any issues with any wheels and that's from hitting stuff to falling into gopher holes and everything in between.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
I was at my local Exmark dealer the other day just browsing and was a little surprised at the size of the discharge chute opening. It's not nearly as large as Scag or a lot of other brands out there and it seems that a smaller discharge opening would hurt the amount of suction generated by the deck since a a smaller discharge opening would be like an obstruction in the exhaust. Surely, I'm wrong and Exmark knows exactly what they are doing. I do know one thing they goofed on and that was the single bolts sticking out holding the anti-scalp wheels on the deck. Everyone is going to hit something with those wheels some time and that bolt is going to bend when that happens.
Exmark has always used a small discharge and a very tightly baffled deck. It creates a huge amount of lift and small clippings. Down side is it has a hard time processing large volumes of grass and wet grass. Its a trade off...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the main reason I switched to Scag. Ex marks ultra cut cannot hold a candle to scags velocity deck when it comes to the thick wet stuff. Period. I got so tired of clumps the size of footballs and scraping decks every ten minutes.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
This is the main reason I switched to Scag. Ex marks ultra cut cannot hold a candle to scags velocity deck when it comes to the thick wet stuff. Period. I got so tired of clumps the size of footballs and scraping decks every ten minutes.
Same here, not being able to cut nice lawns till 10:00 also sucked and if it rained you were done for the day.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Same here, not being able to cut nice lawns till 10:00 also sucked and if it rained you were done for the day.
Exactly!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
I'm guessing you are cutting mainly bermuda, fesue will clump way worse than bermuda. If the grass is thick and the humidity is high expect an Exmark to clump in fesue. Bermuda is much easier to cut for the most part.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I'm guessing you are cutting mainly bermuda, fesue will clump way worse than bermuda. If the grass is thick and the humidity is high expect an Exmark to clump in fesue. Bermuda is much easier to cut for the most part.
I do cut some Bermuda but have many others as well, including the good ole weed ridden "crap grass" with Bihalia thrown in the mix. You mix that with bi weekly service and you've got a nightmare! Lol
Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Removing the discharge baffle helps with clumping a bit.