Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Pennington Lawncare's Avatar
Pennington Lawncare Pennington Lawncare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
Posts: 678
Have the newer Exmark decks gone to a smaller discharge size?

I was at my local Exmark dealer the other day just browsing and was a little surprised at the size of the discharge chute opening. It's not nearly as large as Scag or a lot of other brands out there and it seems that a smaller discharge opening would hurt the amount of suction generated by the deck since a a smaller discharge opening would be like an obstruction in the exhaust. Surely, I'm wrong and Exmark knows exactly what they are doing. I do know one thing they goofed on and that was the single bolts sticking out holding the anti-scalp wheels on the deck. Everyone is going to hit something with those wheels some time and that bolt is going to bend when that happens.
__________________
15 Scag Turf Tiger 61" Vanguard 35 hp
09 Bob-Cat Predator Pro 61" Subaru 40 hp replacement
2 Husqvarna 323L
1 Echo SRM-210
2 Echo SRM-225
1 Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 AM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 4,405
I've had 3 of them and never bent a wheel stud.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 2,442
The only issue with the smaller deck opening we have are with the walk behinds. They tend to clump a little more than the Lazers. We've never had any issues with any wheels and that's from hitting stuff to falling into gopher holes and everything in between.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
I was at my local Exmark dealer the other day just browsing and was a little surprised at the size of the discharge chute opening. It's not nearly as large as Scag or a lot of other brands out there and it seems that a smaller discharge opening would hurt the amount of suction generated by the deck since a a smaller discharge opening would be like an obstruction in the exhaust. Surely, I'm wrong and Exmark knows exactly what they are doing. I do know one thing they goofed on and that was the single bolts sticking out holding the anti-scalp wheels on the deck. Everyone is going to hit something with those wheels some time and that bolt is going to bend when that happens.
Exmark has always used a small discharge and a very tightly baffled deck. It creates a huge amount of lift and small clippings. Down side is it has a hard time processing large volumes of grass and wet grass. Its a trade off...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM
MTenterprises MTenterprises is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 326
This is the main reason I switched to Scag. Ex marks ultra cut cannot hold a candle to scags velocity deck when it comes to the thick wet stuff. Period. I got so tired of clumps the size of footballs and scraping decks every ten minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 4,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
This is the main reason I switched to Scag. Ex marks ultra cut cannot hold a candle to scags velocity deck when it comes to the thick wet stuff. Period. I got so tired of clumps the size of footballs and scraping decks every ten minutes.
Same here, not being able to cut nice lawns till 10:00 also sucked and if it rained you were done for the day.
__________________
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 PM
MTenterprises MTenterprises is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Same here, not being able to cut nice lawns till 10:00 also sucked and if it rained you were done for the day.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 4,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
This is the main reason I switched to Scag. Ex marks ultra cut cannot hold a candle to scags velocity deck when it comes to the thick wet stuff. Period. I got so tired of clumps the size of footballs and scraping decks every ten minutes.
I'm guessing you are cutting mainly bermuda, fesue will clump way worse than bermuda. If the grass is thick and the humidity is high expect an Exmark to clump in fesue. Bermuda is much easier to cut for the most part.
__________________
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
MTenterprises MTenterprises is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I'm guessing you are cutting mainly bermuda, fesue will clump way worse than bermuda. If the grass is thick and the humidity is high expect an Exmark to clump in fesue. Bermuda is much easier to cut for the most part.
I do cut some Bermuda but have many others as well, including the good ole weed ridden "crap grass" with Bihalia thrown in the mix. You mix that with bi weekly service and you've got a nightmare! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 AM
sjessen sjessen is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 2,274
Removing the discharge baffle helps with clumping a bit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Grand View Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.07997 seconds with 10 queries