Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not here to run anyone down the road or say look at me. I would like to be able to help someone. A guy can grow his business solo and make a decent living as long as the rains are steady and his equipment holds up . I realize that people in the cities probably do better money wise than in the rule areas. Treat it like a business and not like a lemonade stand. I apologize if I've offended anyone it was not my intention.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father Lawn Care View Post
Here is the issue on low ball bids. Why is it called a low ball bid when you are a one man operating the business. 76 year old Helen is not going to pay "Joe blow lawn care" 600 bucks to a crew who can do the job in 60 minutes. She doesn't care bout your thousand dollar set up or the big ford pulling it. She only wants a good job for a fair price. Some people don't have the big overhead costs like myself. I don't mow way to many people doing it. Just because someone is in debt don't hide the costs in your estimate to her. That's not low balling. People use that all the time on this site. I've been doing this 16 years and I charge 50 an hour x estimate on how long it will take. You see companies with 8000 dollar mowers cutting in the morning when the grass is usually wet from the dew. Dull ass blades and cutting way to low. His 7 dollar an hour helpers meanwhile are waving a 400 trimmer like Jason Vorhees digging up the dirt. Then 6 minutes later on to the next catastrophe all day long. The point is if your just starting out do what you know and don't be in debt to 30k for equipment. Smaller trailer smaller truck Helen could care less. All she wanted was for the leaves to get picked up today. She never cared bout 1 guy doing it or 8. She cares bout price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your right I don't go after Hellen's grass or maintenance she's not a profitable customer. Sometime you have to pass on work
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's kind of like apples and oranges

Two guys start out this season... They are both solo and they both have the same truck/trailer/and equipment.

They have been planning this and collecting equipment so they are both at zero in terms of debt or credit... Modest pick up truck, 14 ft. open trailer, used 36 Walk behind, used 60 inch Zero, and they splurged and bought new hand helds..

They are both married but guy A's wife is a stay at home mom and guy B's wife is a nurse.

Guy A loves the outdoors and can see himself doing this type of work until he physically can't anymore.

Guy B loves the outdoors too but not quite as much as guy A, Guy B would really like to build up the business so he has plans to find some reliable people and start another crew as soon as possible.

And this is where both these guys path's split. Chances are, they will both remain solo for the next couple years, Guy A because he wants to and Guy B because he needs to in order to save up for expansion.

But yet both Guy A and Guy B will come on this forum and chime in on not only what they are charging but their costs as well.

People should give disclaimers before they pipe in with what they charge... Often times guys come on here using words and phrases like "The Industry Standard" and "Lowballing." These are such subjective terms that I truly believe that's why these conversations go round and round. Because Guy A and Guy B are talking and debating about two completely different things and trying to convince each other of two completely different things.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoohn18 View Post
I don't understand this dollar a min?? Are you bagging all these lawns? If you are charging a dollar a min then I thing you are way low. In one hr one of my crews is able to cut, trim, and blow off all concrete surfaces of a 200 unit town home plan. Now this is 3 guys. So by your guidelines I would only be charging them 60 for all of this?? I would be out of business in a week if that were the case.
The dollar min thing is per man so you have a 3 man crew you should be charging $3 per min that's how that works They way I see it
Old 04-13-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Overhead is just part of the business world. I have 8 full time maintenance crews running and 3 hardscape crews out full time. Not to mention that I have all 11 trucks running during the snow season. So for me it makes sense to have new equipment. I cannot afford to fall behind because of breakdowns and maintenance. Plus if you know anything about the snow removal business, it is a killer on the trucks. It makes sense to me to have newer reliable equipment. I'm not saying that I have always run brand new equipment, sure in the beginning I made due with what I could afford like we all do. I don't think its a good idea to be running liability insurance when you are out in business among the public. Anything can happen at anytime, especially in our business. I would defiantly go with full coverage.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

So I should be charging 3$ a min??? That is still way low.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Overhead is just part of the business world. I have 8 full time maintenance crews running and 3 hardscape crews out full time. Not to mention that I have all 11 trucks running during the snow season. So for me it makes sense to have new equipment. I cannot afford to fall behind because of breakdowns and maintenance. Plus if you know anything about the snow removal business, it is a killer on the trucks. It makes sense to me to have newer reliable equipment. I'm not saying that I have always run brand new equipment, sure in the beginning I made due with what I could afford like we all do. I don't think its a good idea to be running liability insurance when you are out in business among the public. Anything can happen at anytime, especially in our business. I would defiantly go with full coverage.
You did read the first word of the thread title.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I think that a lot of the guys on this site would probably benefit more working for a company, rather than themselves. Just because you know how to do the labor does not mean you know how to run a business. If you truly want to be in business for yourself, do your homework, test the market, research the market, identify who your target customers are, figure out your overhead costs, figure out what your time is worth, write a 5yr plan. Consult accountants, lawyers and people in the business world. Give yourself a fighting chance.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I did.......
Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
So I should be charging 3$ a min??? That is still way low.
I know but if the solo guys charging $1 and big guys need charge at least $1 per man on the crew

Only you would know your per min fee