Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

When I got started in this market there was no lawn forums I had no idea so I guessed at it. I was using a 52 hydro. The business grew and I thought ok I'll get a 60 zero turn rider and I was now making 60 a hr were before I was about 50. So in my scientific thinking I determined that the 52 just had to make 52$ an hour and the 60 was 60$hr. The 60 pricing worked great but the yards that needed the 52 I had to settle for 45$hr. This pricing was almost 20 years ago not much has changed I try to at least hit around the 75$ range but it doesn't all ways work out that way. Some times I do much better and sometimes not. So I've learned there are three words that will make you a liar every time and they are all ways and never.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

When I got started in this market there was no lawn forums I had no idea so I guessed at it. I was using a 52 hydro. The business grew and I thought ok I'll get a 60 zero turn rider and I was now making 60 a hr were before I was about 50. So in my scientific thinking I determined that the 52 just had to make 52$ an hour and the 60 was 60$hr. The 60 pricing worked great but the yards that needed the 52 I had to settle for 45$hr. This pricing was almost 20 years ago not much has changed I try to at least hit around the 75$ range but it doesn't all ways work out that way. Some times I do much better and sometimes not. So I've learned there are three words that will make you a liar every time and they are all ways and never.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Striving for/quoting/wanting a "dollar a minute" is an arbitrary statement for guys that don't understand the economics of business. Knowing and controlling your true cost of doing business is where you begin. I love the guys that say I have no overhead because all my gear and truck are paid for and I operate out of my garage. Their motto is "whatever I makes, I keeps". That's called a hobby and whether or not it makes money is incidental. BTW mid 30s per man hour is considered good in this business. Remember to take into all aspects and expenses of running a legit business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 04-09-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Striving for/quoting/wanting a "dollar a minute" is an arbitrary statement for guys that don't understand the economics of business. Knowing and controlling your true cost of doing business is where you begin. I love the guys that say I have no overhead because all my gear and truck are paid for and I operate out of my garage. Their motto is "whatever I makes, I keeps". That's called a hobby and whether or not it makes money is incidental. BTW mid 30s per man hour is considered good in this business. Remember to take into all aspects and expenses of running a legit business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your condescending tone really isn't needed.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Who told you that?

Mid 30s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The "dollar a minute" myth was probably one of the first discussions here on LS, so what does that tell you. No two businesses operate the same or have the same expenses and costs of doing business. A blanket statement like this has no relevance. It's been hashed many times here the approximate numbers of a solo, single and smaller sized operations are known. Market prices are not any big secret and there are only so many hours in a week.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Who told you that?

Mid 30s.
Posted via Mobile Device
If your're making less than that you don't need the extra man yet. If your solo you're struggling.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...t=manhour+cost

Here's just one thread that might help.

Last edited by Patriot Services; 04-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Your condescending tone really isn't needed.
Wasn't my intention and certainly wasn't aimed at anyone posting on this thread.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If your're making less than that you don't need the extra man yet. If your solo you're struggling.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...t=manhour+cost

Here's just one thread that might help.
I know what I charge. It is no where near mid 30s. That's why I'm trying to figure out why it is acceptable.

I guess $30 is fine if you want to stay solo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I know what I charge. It is no where near mid 30s. That's why I'm trying to figure out why it is acceptable.

I guess $30 is fine if you want to stay solo
Posted via Mobile Device
Post clarification. No where did I state that's what I charge.