Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
You stated that 35 an hour was your target if you cut a lawn and a half an hour at a $35 an hour rate thats 17.50$ i'm not trying to make you feel bad but you understand what trying to make a living at this But understand you have to be sustainable and $35 an hour for an operator is not sustainable
Posted via Mobile Device
If a lawn will take me 30 min. I'm not going to charge $17 you know that we all have a minimum. So once again my main business is pest control where my profit margin is higher than most anyone could obtain with cutting grass. I'm only doing the lawn care to fill in time that I'm not treating houses. It's better to net $20 per hour mowing than waiting till the next day to go spray 3 or 4 houses. In a couple years I'm hoping not to be mowing anything, and only doing pest control.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I was making a point that $35 an hour is insanely low. And nonsustainable
Posted via Mobile Device
Really? Don't know what your market is like...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think every market is completely different, as well as every house. I service 2 small homes and bag with a 21" Snapper and exceed 1.00$ per minute. Wish that's all I did.

Bottom line is a Dollar a Minute will net you about 300 to 350$ per day, if you can find the work. Reality in my aera is closer to 40 to 45 and even lower. Much lower than 35 its not worth the trouble.

I occasionally net 1500$ in a week, but not every week . I have other stuff going on that nets me a few bucks without doing much for it.

Its not an easy business.

Its BY FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO KNOW YOUR REAL EXPENSES, than to guess as to what you can make in a minute. Most Lawn operators have no idea whatsoever what their expenses really are.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I think every market is completely different, as well as every house. I service 2 small homes and bag with a 21" Snapper and exceed 1.00$ per minute. Wish that's all I did.

Bottom line is a Dollar a Minute will net you about 300 to 350$ per day, if you can find the work. Reality in my aera is closer to 40 to 45 and even lower. Much lower than 35 its not worth the trouble.

I occasionally net 1500$ in a week, but not every week . I have other stuff going on that nets me a few bucks without doing much for it.

Its not an easy business.

Its BY FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO KNOW YOUR REAL EXPENSES, than to guess as to what you can make in a minute. Most Lawn operators have no idea whatsoever what their expenses really are.
Like +1
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Cmo I've got to be a little blunt with you if you truly understand the cost of doing business you would know that 35 an hr is losing money especially when you have a pesticide lic. When you bid at. 35$ hr your bidding against people with families that are around the. 70per hr on up . I can't be like some on here and just tell you what you want to here I was rude and I apologize but let's make it work so your here for years to come.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Really? Don't know what your market is like...
Posted via Mobile Device
Ohio state taxes approx 6% fed emp tax 15% not to mention workmans comp, bus ins, fuel etc. these are expensive no matter were you live.the first two takes over 7$ an hr. A low rate runs every one out of business. I've been at this for a long time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Cmo I've got to be a little blunt with you if you truly understand the cost of doing business you would know that 35 an hr is losing money especially when you have a pesticide lic. When you bid at. 35$ hr your bidding against people with families that are around the. 70per hr on up . I can't be like some on here and just tell you what you want to here I was rude and I apologize but let's make it work so your here for years to come.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have many things that I want to reply to in your post, but I will first ask if you read my reply to creative when I said what I'm doing in an hour at this point a 10 year veteran could most likely do in 30 min. It has nothing to do with time it has everything to do with what it costs me to be at the house, and the amount of free time I have at that moment. I'll say this one more time THE PAYMENT THAT IM GETTING AT THE END OF THE JOB IS THE SAME PAYMENT THAT MOST OTHER LCOs WOULD BE GETTING IT JUST TAKES ME LONGER. This is my third business that I've owned and the other two have been successful I know how to run numbers your not talking to some uneducated trailer trash push mowing dude.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Ohio state taxes approx 6% fed emp tax 15% not to mention workmans comp, bus ins, fuel etc. these are expensive no matter were you live.the first two takes over 7$ an hr. A low rate runs every one out of business. I've been at this for a long time
Posted via Mobile Device
An applicator can most def. Charge more than 35 bucks an hour...What's the cost of living in Ohio? I've got 2 mil in liability and workers comp...been at it 35 years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

35 an hour for most guys is not unsustainable...just might not grow beyond one crew . And that low rate has broadened the number of people able to afford lawncare
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Most hire illegals with the blessing of the Federal Government.

Alabama passed laws that made it impossible for illegals to work in our state, every thing passed was no different than Federal Laws on the books.

The Federal Government sued Alabama and its been in Federal Court ever since.

As I say its not an easy business to thrive in.