Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Actually Larry, my Walker is unique...

As I am the only one in my market with one...

This is just because I recently moved to my market and always ran Walker so it's what I am comfortable with and what I love...

And do you know what?

Clients LOVE the fact that I collect. They didn't know that having somebody take care of the lawn could mean that there would be no clippings left behind.

They also didn't know that their lawns could look like Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park.

So while I agree with you about finding a "Niche"...... I disagree with you about everyone having a new ZTR and it not being unique. Because my company and my unique ZTR IS my niche....
Most fellers don't even know what bagging is all about, good work making homes look real nice sets you apart from the rest.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All depends who is doing the math, I suppose...
I am sure the creative accounting is just getting started.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Guys just doing some thinking truck ,trailer,mower,blower,trimmer this is easy 30 grand. Minimum wage near 10$ an hour, workers comp,state taxes, federal taxes,insurance,license,fuel,health insurance. These are cost no matter were you live. So if you still want to tell people what they want to here and not the truth then so be it. It will be a testament to the lack of seriousness to this forum. So feel free to give it some thought and maybe get a little serious about running a business and not a hobby. This is not meant to insult anyone so squash the grade school insults. I do this to help raise my kids and pay for my house ,not to just buy beer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
Guys just doing some thinking truck ,trailer,mower,blower,trimmer this is easy 30 grand. Minimum wage near 10$ an hour, workers comp,state taxes, federal taxes,insurance,license,fuel,health insurance. These are cost no matter were you live. So if you still want to tell people what they want to here and not the truth then so be it. It will be a testament to the lack of seriousness to this forum. So feel free to give it some thought and maybe get a little serious about running a business and not a hobby. This is not meant to insult anyone so squash the grade school insults. I do this to help raise my kids and pay for my house ,not to just buy beer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you think your the only one doing this to pay for your families expenses. I'm not sure what your obsession is with this. I thought this thread was dead. Does anyone actually bid jobs to lose money. Look I think it's pretty difficult to make what your saying you can make when just today I got a lawn sold and two hours later she called back and said her grandson was going to mow haha it's incredibly annoying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
So what do you do in a weeks worth of mowing
Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Call 911! We have an "unsustainable" here!
Posted via Mobile Device
Here we go again...

Folks don't seem to understand, we get paid a certain amount per hour.
No, I mean what *I get paid* to work, is so much dollars an hour because as a worker *I* get paid by the hour.
That amount should not vary, it is my labor cost.

What varies is the equipment cost.

Once we add equipment and labor costs together, that determines your hourly rate.

Quote:
Guys just doing some thinking truck ,trailer,mower,blower,trimmer this is easy 30 grand.
I'm sorry to hear that.
I don't think mine add up to 10, what you just numbered off, my truck's worth maybe a thousand blue book.
But it's paid for, and that's insurance and payment costs my customers don't have to cover.

Quote:
,not to just buy beer.
I'm sorry to hear that as well.

Last edited by herler; 04-12-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Make that three thousand four hundred blue book Private Party, Sixteen hundred Trade In, Fair condition.

Wow, that's more than what I paid for it 7 years ago, I am really amazed how expensive everything has gotten.
I ain't never heard of a vehicle increasing in value, especially not your average daily driver.
How do you people survive?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Here we go again...

Folks don't seem to understand, we get paid a certain amount per hour.
No, I mean what *I get paid* to work, is so much dollars an hour because as a worker *I* get paid by the hour.
That amount should not vary, it is my labor cost.

What varies is the equipment cost.

Once we add equipment and labor costs together, that determines your hourly rate.
I understand that I said 30 for labor That is just the man not the equipment
That same guy running a skid then its 30 + 75 for the skid per hour
I pay the guy 15 and I make 15 when he runs the skid then I make 90
Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Guys just doing some thinking truck ,trailer,mower,blower,trimmer this is easy 30 grand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Only wish I had 30 grand in my setup Just sitting on trailer is 30 grand in 3 mowers
Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't understand this dollar a min?? Are you bagging all these lawns? If you are charging a dollar a min then I thing you are way low. In one hr one of my crews is able to cut, trim, and blow off all concrete surfaces of a 200 unit town home plan. Now this is 3 guys. So by your guidelines I would only be charging them 60 for all of this?? I would be out of business in a week if that were the case.