Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Calling all ferris users

I have a few ferris IS mowers and loved the ride, cut was questionable . Now the have changed the decks and have smaller units.

I am currently looking into the 600 series 44" and 48"
And 700 series 61" units.
These units I am only concerned with the ride . I know they are not a smooth as the IS machines so I ask
Does the suspension truely work?
I mean the pivot front axle of other brands smooths the cut by contouring better does the front spring actually help the rider at all? My interest grew as the prices are 4600.00-4900 and 5900. I am looking, considering these machines to be a posible upgrade on 1 acre and less lawns. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post
I have a few ferris IS mowers and loved the ride, cut was questionable . Now the have changed the decks and have smaller units.

I am currently looking into the 600 series 44" and 48"
And 700 series 61" units.
These units I am only concerned with the ride . I know they are not a smooth as the IS machines so I ask
Does the suspension truely work?
I mean the pivot front axle of other brands smooths the cut by contouring better does the front spring actually help the rider at all? My interest grew as the prices are 4600.00-4900 and 5900. I am looking, considering these machines to be a posible upgrade on 1 acre and less lawns. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Why in hades don't you just pick a brand mower and buy that…you're all over God's Creation with 2 of these mowers and 3 of those mowers…

Sure you are not buying them as a straw man and exporting them to a rich uncle in Nigeria?

Ferris has a walker-like quality to the mower.

It's not as fast as others, but the sum of the parts of the whole mower, enables it to finish certain lawns, with certain characteristics, faster, than a machine that runs quicker speeds.

so yes, how ferris accomplishes this is the suspension.

Areas you might have to cut multiple times from multiple angles, or go back and weed whack or might scalp with another mower, or have to cut with a smaller deck, you can just do it with a larger deck ferris at a steady pace.
The end result is a quicker time.

The iCD deck is better than most, if you get a Ferris with an iCD deck…
Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

TPendagast- it's not as big of an issue as it really appears. Currently I have 3
Dealers, that's it and one of those is the gravely dealer I am yet to buy from.

My primary dealer is great and until gravely asked me about going with them I had no reason to even consider that third guy.

I mentioned needing a well built, balanced, small cut mower to my main dealer whom sells us Husqvarna units and he said he had the ferris units at the prices I listed, this is why I asked, as the non independant suspension may not be a true benefit , in reality another wear point.

Just no experiance with the class ferris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2013 3100 z and love the ride a cut quality. My ferris also has a suspension seat so it is like riding on a cloud. I have driven many mowers with suspension seats but will never compare to Ferris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So no one has real experiences with the solid front axle on the the smaller class units.??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally don't think the solid front axel is as good as the true independent suspension
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I personally don't think the solid front axel is as good as the true independent suspension
Posted via Mobile Device
This is my fear, I have used the 3000 and 5000 I have for 9 years???
It was year one of the cat diesel 72" 5000( now they call it 5100)

They still ride smoother then 90% of the compition as old as
They are.

I fear the non-independent solid axle can't really absorb shock just limit the travel of the front as it sways durrin th impact ( just isolates the impact a bit )

I would love to hear from some guys running the solid axle and see how they feel it rides. Impaired to say a front caster with suspension built in.

Is the machine softer riding then a flex fork mower or is it ferris way of having a "look like the big boys " while mowing your personal or maybe a way to keep the brand looking identical
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not to go off topic, but have you looked into Exmark and their fleet buying program? You could probably save gobs of money. I like my Walker/Wright dealer a lot, but it's always in the back of my mind to go with Exmark just for that reason.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My main dealer is a Toro dealer as well and he discounts every mower below the actual dealers who sell just the exmark/ toro brands

He sells me every mower at his cost. Not one dime markup.

I really am looking at low investment machines with high manufacturing standards. The 44" units to fit in standard pick up truck beds and small lawns and then the 48" and 60" as a upgrade to lower grade equipment, while giving us a "the only one in town with it" look.
Ferris is not a popular mower in most of the towns we work
I don't want to look like every guy out there (most popular- exmark/toro, hustler, bad boy, John Deere, cub cadet, Husqvarna .... Ferris, Snapper pro, Walker

Understand it's the summer kid with moms mower look we don't want to have but at the same time we don't want to blend in with the big guys either ( trying to find out own look)
No disrespect to the guys starting out, just don't know how to write it out differently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

ferris 'solid front axle' design on the smaller Zs is essentially the same as the Evolution.
So Yes, I personally own that suspension and they work just like I described above.

I personally prefer the smaller units to the IS3100 we ran, which I called a "fat lady on a water bed"

the weight of the machine was too much for the shocks IMO…the whole thing was too soft and it just rolled around with no real feeling of precise control.