Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Taping flyers to front door/garage door

I have heard more then a few people on here talk about actually taping fliers to doors. Whether if be front door, garage door or whatever. I am wondering how the reaction to doing this was. Did people see notice it more and did you get a higher response rate? Did people get mad because you taped something to their home and they thought it might wreck something? Even if you did get some mad people calling, was the response worth it? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I taped 150+ postcards to front doors two weekends ago. Most homes have a storm door with glass. Tape easily peels from it without leaving damage. I had zero calls. Not from potential clients or complaints. It's been a little disheartening. It's my first year of business and I can't get a response.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalLawnCareNJ View Post
I taped 150+ postcards to front doors two weekends ago. Most homes have a storm door with glass. Tape easily peels from it without leaving damage. I had zero calls. Not from potential clients or complaints. It's been a little disheartening. It's my first year of business and I can't get a response.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's better to talk to the people about it. Any flyers/advertisements that come in my mail or that are on my door go into the trash without reading them. If you go out on weekends and interact with all the potential customers then you can begin to build a relationship with them and they are gonna want to hire you.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your first year in business you should definitly talk face to face with people. ive got a nice customer base now and no time to go do face to face advertising like that.

we use a very catchy post card every year that offers deals for services if presented to us upon quote. we also only do targeted marketing with these no blind bulk mailing. i have a realtor go through tax database to get houses over 300k in value in towns i want to advertise in then we map it out and hit all the nicest streets. doing this i sent out 500 cards already got 5 customers and have 2-3 calls per day on it so far.

next now that we have 1 or 2 customers in those nice areas when we go for spring cleanup we will go on a saturday to do the work so people can see our trucks and guys out working and put a yard sign in front of the house we did the work on. and within 2 weeks we will flyer the area again with the good old hey we are servicing your nieghbors property..... so on so forth. they get that and see our yard signs at these nicely maintained houses and that will usually pull 2-3 more customers from that street/area.

the biggest thing is keeping costs low. i did the postcard and i only spent $230 bucks on it and landed 5 customers which will bring in $200-$400 a month in mowing so all that advertising is paid for.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you tape something to my door I would be pissed. I am not the norm probably. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as you use duct tape.. oh yeah. they will never forget you then. lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
If you tape something to my door I would be pissed. I am not the norm probably. Good luck!
Me to. Actually, if I had to peel it and clean it,I'd probably have a few different people call you to set up appointments @ bogus adresses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
X2

Anything taped to my door, mailbox, door hanger, etc goes straight in the trash.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
No. I'd be a lot more pissed than you. I guarantee it.

That ranks up there with touching my vehicle to put your crappy flyer under my wiper in a parking lot, or putting them in a baggie with a rock and throwing it onto my drive because your to damned lazy to walk.

The more I hear people talk about flyers, the more I understand where "No Soliciting" laws originated.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalLawnCareNJ View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't be happy if someone taped something to my door! I would dislike it more than the darn door hangers people put out! Those hangers are one of two things........someone is pointing out that I am not home............or I have to pick up 2 off my lawn or flower bed because the wind has blown them off! Mine and my neighbors! I have a mailbox on the house for a reason! Please use it for it's intended use!

Last edited by Tuttled; 04-08-2014 at 11:09 PM.