Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Big mulch job requested...not sure

hey guys....i met with a lady who wanted alot of mulch put down. She has a property that is 30 years old and the old landscaping from 10 years ago is barely visible. She wants these 7 areas remulched. Currently there is weeds and grass growing in these old mulched areas. You can tell the outline of what was once there...but now its mainly just grass there. She just wants the mulch installed without doing anything to the existing grass/weeds. She did say she would consider me spraying grass killer first. I told her the grass killer would only work for several weeks....but i doubted it would last. So long story short.....How can i guide her on this? She doesnt want a bunch of prep labor.....and considering the job is 35 yards i stand to make a nice profit...but i dont want to just install mulch over grass and 2 months later it look like crap. Somebody guide me please. How can this job be done with minimal prep work , but still be decent looking for years to come? Save the hate, i need guidance.
thanks guys, i need this job
Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It can't be done. If you're licenses to spray. Spray it then rip it out.

Put mulch down. Then snapshot.

If she insists on no prep throw it down collect check lol.

We'd be about 2500 for no prep
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$3500. ma'am. Make the check out to cash, thanks.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

If she is insistent on not doing the prep work then write out a contract for the whole thing saying you will be only mulching and not responsible for any weeds that grow through. I agree, spray it, throw it down, take a picture and take the check. And never tell anyone you did it because it is gonna look like crap afterwards. ditto on it being around 2500. That depends on how much your paying for mulch. we pay about 35 a yard.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spray and fabric then mulch. If she is trying to be cheap with no prep and that much grass may be better to pass. Never know if she will blame it on you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you're newer in the business...if the person is a good existing customer then I'd work with her on it and try to get her to understand that shes wasting her money just having you throw mulch down with no prep. Try explaining that although the initial investment here is going to be quite a lot, in the future with regular maintenance the cost won't be nearly as much and it will look much better. If its a "cold call" customer, personally I'd say thanks but no thanks. I've got bigger fish to fry and I also learned a long time ago that although theres money to be made there jobs like that don't really look to good on your reputation. Yes, you know that the customer wanted it half-a55ed and they know that, but the neighbors walking by or other people driving by that might see your truck there think thats just how you do work. Not good for your image. Like is aid, I'd probably just walk away from it if she is hell bent on having it done that way.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like maybe this is just for a special event? Home appraisal, putting it in the market, someone special coming to town? If so, good luck getting her to pay for proper prep work.

As others have said, this will not be great for your reputation... But if your truck and trailer have no lettering, and you need the business... We don't always get to do things the way we'd do it at our own house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you, I think I'll have to pass on this one.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Passing is not an option for me. I'll recommend spraying the grass and weeds....followed by fabric....them mulch it. It's not ideal I know, but it can look good for long time that way. Without knowing any better,I did my house that way 6years ago and it still looks very good. Spreading the mulch Will be easy as there are few plants to work around...just some trees. I was planning on bidding 2100 on the mulch alone...I'll add 400 for the spray and fabric. See what she says.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fabric is really a joke. It doesnt last long. Spray and then add preen as long as the plants are fitting for it. Use preen twice a year and it should stay pretty well weed free. If you put fabric down it will just grow ontop of it.
Posted via Mobile Device