Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz37 View Post
Passing is not an option for me. I'll recommend spraying the grass and weeds....followed by fabric....them mulch it. It's not ideal I know, but it can look good for long time that way. Without knowing any better,I did my house that way 6years ago and it still looks very good. Spreading the mulch Will be easy as there are few plants to work around...just some trees. I was planning on bidding 2100 on the mulch alone...I'll add 400 for the spray and fabric. See what she says.
Posted via Mobile Device
$60/yard on the mulch? Good grief...

Lowball city.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

ZTR 655
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

lowball huh? 2 things for you to consider......1st my mulch only costs $15 per yard from a local producer. 2nd even at $60 per yard quotes (mine actually range from 50 to 68 depending on size and difficulty in getting to the work areas), i only get about 1 in 4 jobs quoted. I guess in central ky, asking for $60 per yard installed is asking to much? I still make decent money, i just dont get enough jobs.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
lowball huh? 2 things for you to consider......1st my mulch only costs $15 per yard from a local producer. 2nd even at $60 per yard quotes (mine actually range from 50 to 68 depending on size and difficulty in getting to the work areas), i only get about 1 in 4 jobs quoted. I guess in central ky, asking for $60 per yard installed is asking to much? I still make decent money, i just dont get enough jobs.
That could be due to poor sales strategy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
hey guys....i met with a lady who wanted alot of mulch put down. She has a property that is 30 years old and the old landscaping from 10 years ago is barely visible. She wants these 7 areas remulched. Currently there is weeds and grass growing in these old mulched areas. You can tell the outline of what was once there...but now its mainly just grass there. She just wants the mulch installed without doing anything to the existing grass/weeds. She did say she would consider me spraying grass killer first. I told her the grass killer would only work for several weeks....but i doubted it would last. So long story short.....How can i guide her on this? She doesnt want a bunch of prep labor.....and considering the job is 35 yards i stand to make a nice profit...but i dont want to just install mulch over grass and 2 months later it look like crap. Somebody guide me please. How can this job be done with minimal prep work , but still be decent looking for years to come? Save the hate, i need guidance.
thanks guys, i need this job
Agree to the job. Go 2 days before you start and have your guys weed-eat all the beds, then do an overspray of round-up over the entire area to be mulched. Give the Roundup 2 days to kill the weed systems, then mulch over the area. Take a picture, get your check, be done with it.

You're wasting your time and your clients money with landscape fabric. The fabric does NOT do what people imagine it doing. We just installed 180 yards of mulch, not a single piece of landscape fabric.

Never allow your customers to dictate to you how the job is done. YOU are supposed to be the professional. It's your company, you do the work according to generally accepted best practices. Most of the time, clients have stupid/incorrect ideas how to do the work anyway. That's why their yard needs help in the first place.

The way I said above is the minimal prep, easiest for you, most economical for the client. There's no way the job will look good for years to come, unless you maintain the beds and keep coming back and installing mulch every 6-9 months. That's just the facts of landscaping.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spray round up then weed up. Not weed eat then round up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think your price is a little low, 400 for weed fabric and roundup for an area that needs 35 yards of mulch? Id say that will be close to that just to buy the stuff. I would say 2400 for the mulch and then an extra 600 for weed fabric and roundup. and thats only because you said its mostly wide open.

x2 with what was mentioned about about weedwacking it first a couple days before.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Spray round up then weed up. Not weed eat then round up
Posted via Mobile Device
interesting, Ive always done the opposite. Why do it in that order? Is it so you dont spread the seeds and stuff that havent been killed yet? Ill start doing it that way this year and see the difference
Old 04-13-2014, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Passing is always an option.

Your customer is a dangerous cocktail of both cheap and clueless, I never take jobs from these types.