Register free!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Fiberglass vs Poly Spray Tanks

I am in the market for a skid sprayer for my lawn and shrub spray company I am starting here in Florida. Poly tanks are so much cheaper vs fiberglass. Any recommendations on tanks would help greatly. Has anyone had any issues with either type of tank? I am planning on getting a 200gal tank for the lawn and a 100gal shrub tank on the same pump and hose with a switch between the tanks.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't do it--too much chance for cross contamination; weed killer in the tree and shrub hose is a huge risk.

Poly tanks are fine. Not as easy to put fittings through the tank. Not usually suitable for a paddle agitation system. They are a bit soft in the summer and a bit hard in the winter. They are subject to slow fading and slow destruction from the effects of sunlight and ultra violet. Don't stand on a poly tank; it may cave-in. A poly tank could eventually develop a crack where the end is heat-welded on. My 400 gallon tank in the picture of my truck is about 20 years old

For the first year--you can use a backpack chemical mist blower for shrubbery, and mosquitoes--if you have any in your part of the world.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-11-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks. Local spray equipment dealer is pushing fiberglass which is what I have used mostly in the past. I don't see too many poly tanks in my area either. I have a couple plans in mind.

1. 200/100 split tank set up on same pump and reel for ease inside my enclosed trailer

2. 200 and 100 gallon tanks with separate motor/pumps and reels. $$$

Space is limited inside the trailer but its more of a security and weather reassurance to protect the rig from the elements.

anyone have any setups inside an enclosed trailer for 2 tanks and 2 pumps? seems like it would be difficult to fit 2 pumps and reels in the side door access.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Find you a FMC Stainless Steel Skidsprayer I have 200gal FMC and I can spray 60-70 ft trees
Held up well to its 33 yrs old I can set in back of a truck but I have a trailer made for it
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
For the first year--you can use a backpack chemical mist blower for shrubbery, and mosquitoes--if you have any in your part of the world.

LOL I think Florida means Mosquito is some other language. I definitely need a 2 tank rig for the amount of insects and disease in such a sub-tropical climate. mostly IPMing, but still need the option of soil drenching and blasting off scale from the underside of the leave and the infamous Asian scale on sago palms.

Tags
lawn pest tank