Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Smile Thinking about moving to Florida

This is something I may be interested in. I have been contemplating moving to Florida. My business in Pittsburgh runs smooth for the most part without me, there are a few things that require my attention but nothing I cant handle over the phone. What does your business consist of? What percentage is maintenance and what percentage is hardscape or installs?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where in Florida do you plan to move?

I service a suburb of Tampa, it's mostly middle and upper middle income housing. I cater to the upper middle income clients as it's more efficient and rewarding. I'd say most of this area is middle income housing, smaller yards that people want mowed for 20-25 bucks a cut. You're going to have to seek out good clients, and in my experience, it's not easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have I got some swamp land for you. Special price for cash sale.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I am looking into Tampa/Clearwater. I do have a few leads from HOA's and condo associations. It may just be a pipe dream but something I figured worth looking into.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

South East Florida is where it's booming right now. Sarasota/Bradenton/Ft Myers is pretty hot once again but these are all a little spotty saturated with no real income jobs. South East Florida is pretty stable with good industries IMHO. Central FL is lower income jobs and industry but there is a lot of it more than anywhere else in FL. Central FL is spread out compared to other areas and littered with toll roads which are unavoidable and will kill you with gas trying to have to large of a service area. Tampa is good to but doesn't have a real industry so it to is saturated with lower income jobs and is a large spread out area with lots of water in the way of having a compact route. This is a very price driven market and people will cut you over 50 cents literally. We house I think 75% of rapist and felons for the entire nation now so lots of those guys are cutting grass and trees because they can't get a job.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a lot to be said about smaller towns/markets. There might not be as much business but there isn't as much competition either. The Big Box Boys consider these areas as training ground and give those routes to the New Guys. IMHO the smaller the town the greater WORD OF MOUTH works.

Not everyone has a upscale Country Club home and yard. Working class people take pride in their home and need service also. In most cases you can make more money doing work that isn't as demanding. Case in point is my second work truck. While my cab-over does upscale L&O work, my 200 gallon Pickup truck only does Fire Ant Control. Fire Ant control is 85% pure Profit while L&O is only 50% and requires a lot more equipment and chemical inventory. Fire Ant Control requires a lot more advertisement and has a large percentage of As Needed Customers. so there are draw backs to every market Plan.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add my business is Fert & Squirt. Therefore I am effected more by the Big Boys than residential Mowing.

With the penning merger of Brickman and Valley Crest. The question is not if Commercial work is going to change. But Whether that change is GOOD or BAD for the small guy?

True Care (TG/CL) mowing came into my area with super low prices and were gone by the second year. They are still around in larger towns but I hear very little or nothing about them any more.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoohn18 View Post
I am looking into Tampa/Clearwater. I do have a few leads from HOA's and condo associations. It may just be a pipe dream but something I figured worth looking into.
HOAs will dump you over ten bucks. A lot of it comes down to good ole boy tactics. Such as free mowing for board members for favored status. Residential is all about numbers and saturation. Neither comes quick. There are plenty of turn key ops for sale that might be had if you know your numbers and stick to them. Most are way overpriced, overvalued and waiting for a sucker to come along. Are you above working for a CPO and earning your license? That could lead to a bigger end result overall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You couldn't pay me enough to move back to Florida. Just sayin'.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan