Old 12-05-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Question about Leaves

Hi All,

Just wanted to see how everyone handles the cleanup of leaves on your properties in the winter months here in Florida...do you all include it in your year round pricing or charge extra?

Thanks, Joanne
Old 12-05-2014, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj216 View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to see how everyone handles the cleanup of leaves on your properties in the winter months here in Florida...do you all include it in your year round pricing or charge extra?

Thanks, Joanne
I factor it in my price. Having said that I clean up what's on hard surfaces and mulch the stuff in the grass. I'm sure though that in South Florida leaves aren't as bad as compared to North Florida. If there were more to clean up I'd charge a cleanup fee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Joann, since your in JAX I can understand since my friend also named Joann just had me up for a visit to make Two reductions on her Maple tree. The reductions went well, however when I started to use her Toro shredder vac machine to collect the leaves she told me to stop since the driveway and side walk would be covered by the morning. She was right much to my surprise!. Because JAX is not really far enough North for deciduous trees to completely loose all of their leaves in the fall the volume of leaves lost during this time until Spring is pretty constant. If I had monthly accounts in JAX I would factor the leaf drop during the entire winter season and charge accordingly for other one off customers.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do not include leaf clean ups in regular service since each property is different.

Some folks properly maintain their trees others don't. Some years are worse than others. Some have you do leaf clean ups on a regular basis (as needed) others whenever the next solar eclipse might happen.

Some trees or leaf types are worse than others. Clients seem to call right after a few days of rain and now there is four inches deep of wet leaves.

There are just too many variables in leaf clean up to include unless you have years experience on the property and feel comfortable in adjusting the annual monthly price to include needed leaf clean ups.

Otherwise, it's best to estimate per job.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I factor it in on the year round customers. The few that I do by the cut, get charged accordingly at the time of service.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
I do not include leaf clean ups in regular service since each property is different.

Some folks properly maintain their trees others don't. Some years are worse than others. Some have you do leaf clean ups on a regular basis (as needed) others whenever the next solar eclipse might happen.

Some trees or leaf types are worse than others. Clients seem to call right after a few days of rain and now there is four inches deep of wet leaves.

There are just too many variables in leaf clean up to include unless you have years experience on the property and feel comfortable in adjusting the annual monthly price to include needed leaf clean ups.

Otherwise, it's best to estimate per job.
Good points.

I think the overall idea is that leaf cleanups will vary by Florida region greatly.

I ONLY do monthly accounts no per cut so at the very least I'm at properties every 2 weeks in the winter.

My properties that generate the most leaves it's easy for me to mulch the majority of them up or back 1 or 2 mulch bags worth. Usually I'm not trimming or spraying much so I don't mind spending those 5-10 minutes doing that.

Now, if I had properties where it would take multiple hours, yes, that would def. Be extra
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For you guys that "include" this in your price, especially in central and northern fl how do determine what you should charge? I am interested to hear how you accurately estimate the time it will take to clean everything up. Running over the mower on the turf is one thing, but how so you account for the beds or is that not "included" because dependent on what is growing above you could have a damn mess on your hands. Many beds can not be cleaned out with a blower because you will remove all the mulch in the process, so again are you hand raking these in your included price? Many beds are so dense and will often be shade and have plants like oyster plants that do not do well with high winds, yet the are so dense...how do you know a year in advance on how much litter will be in those beds?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
For you guys that "include" this in your price, especially in central and northern fl how do determine what you should charge? I am interested to hear how you accurately estimate the time it will take to clean everything up. Running over the mower on the turf is one thing, but how so you account for the beds or is that not "included" because dependent on what is growing above you could have a damn mess on your hands. Many beds can not be cleaned out with a blower because you will remove all the mulch in the process, so again are you hand raking these in your included price? Many beds are so dense and will often be shade and have plants like oyster plants that do not do well with high winds, yet the are so dense...how do you know a year in advance on how much litter will be in those beds?
If you keep accurate records simple arithmetic is all that is required.
Number of hours spent per month times your hourly rate equals how much to charge. This is based on year round accounts. For one off customers just your hourly rate time the number of hours on the job. Some people are better at estimating than others.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
If you keep accurate records simple arithmetic is all that is required.
Number of hours spent per month times your hourly rate equals how much to charge. This is based on year round accounts. For one off customers just your hourly rate time the number of hours on the job. Some people are better at estimating than others.
easy-lift guy
How do you do this on a account that you have never seen the drop. How do you account for a year in wish trees drop sever amount of leaves compared to warmer years where there is very little. All of my accounts are year round and I could not begin to accurately guess what the leave drop is going to be this year. Are the oaks going to bury us or not? I fully understand man hours and how to charge appropriately, what I fail to understand is how anyone can look at a property and accurately know within reason how bad the leaf fall will be this year, how much clutter will be in the beds. Do you charge for leaves that might blow in from the neighbors yard? If not why not. I mean dependent on what type of trees they have and wind direction you could end up picking up a majority of the leaves that fall off that neighbors trees.
I would guess in any case most people are either over charging the customer if they are giving accurate estimates to the customer to ensure they maintain a healthy profit or the most typical lawn boy way is that they are screwing themselves and saying "well it is winter and I am getting paid the same for less services" SMDH

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
How do you do this on a account that you have never seen the drop. How do you account for a year in wish trees drop sever amount of leaves compared to warmer years where there is very little. All of my accounts are year round and I could not begin to accurately guess what the leave drop is going to be this year. Are the oaks going to bury us or not? I fully understand man hours and how to charge appropriately, what I fail to understand is how anyone can look at a property and accurately know within reason how bad the leaf fall will be this year, how much clutter will be in the beds. Do you charge for leaves that might blow in from the neighbors yard? If not why not. I mean dependent on what type of trees they have and wind direction you could end up picking up a majority of the leaves that fall off that neighbors trees.
I would guess in any case most people are either over charging the customer if they are giving accurate estimates to the customer to ensure they maintain a healthy profit or the most typical lawn boy way is that they are screwing themselves and saying "well it is winter and I am getting paid the same for less services" SMDH
I think it will boil down to customer expectations. Do they want leaves removed every week no matter what? Are beds to be completely clean every week or each visit? As I stated before I will blow leaf litter into grass and mulch it up. Whatever is left over or can't be done that way is raked and bagged. This is for minimal stuff and it is factored into price. This is also done EOW. IFor it was expected to be done weekly we are talking a whole other ballgame.
Posted via Mobile Device