Register free!

Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

thinking of moving to southern part of florida.

I currently have a lawn care/hardscape/snow removal company located in West Virginia. I have been successful with the business and have made good contacts. However the past few years the snow season has been really stressful all the way around. I have really been considering getting out of snow removal and relocating to Florida to do landacaping year round and have a better quality life for me and my family. We are considering the west coast (Estero, Sarasota) or Vero Beach area on east coast. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this is a big decision for us. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sarasota is a good choice. However expect heavy competition. You generally have to fight for the business. It won't just come to you. Don't believe the rumors that the cost of living is lower here. No gas or heating oil but that electric bill in the ac months is a killer. Also a pest license doesn't just transfer over either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Sponsor

East coast is much faster pace, younger population with a great deal more traffic issues to deal with year round. West coast is just the opposite. Patriot Services is correct about Sarasota. If you do plan on renting first before buying make sure the house has decent windows, insulation and a central air system less that 10 years old. Otherwise the electric bill could prove costly.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You want traffic? Come to Tampa. I'm sitting in it now wondering why.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it must be nice being in the warm tropical weather. as for the rural areas, is there cheap land down there like 20 acres?
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 12-06-2014, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
it must be nice being in the warm tropical weather. as for the rural areas, is there cheap land down there like 20 acres?
Yea, but wait until mid may till end of September....you would be singing a different tune. Everybody who lives in the land of snow sees Florida in the winter as paradise. Unless they live here year round, it is far from that.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would suggest that anyone looking to relocate to S Florida from the north think about Georgia, North and South Carolina instead. If you still have family in the northern state that you want to visit you will soon get tired of the ride from S Florida. Many of the recent transplants here are from Florida. They moved here trying to get a little closer to family but still live in a relatively warm climate. They call themselves "half backs" for half way back home. Obviously starting a lawncare business in any state that you choose to relocate to will not be easy. It takes time to learn the area and to get people to trust you. That said, when I relocated here from Maryland I purchased an existing company. Makes it a lot easier.

Last edited by RussellB; 12-06-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya if you don't mind working in the summer heat and humidity.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I would suggest that anyone looking to relocate to S Florida from the north think about Georgia, North and South Carolina instead. If you still have family in the northern state that you want to visit you will soon get tired of the ride from S Florida. Many of the recent transplants here are from Florida. They moved here trying to get a little closer to family but still live in a relatively warm climate. They call themselves "half backs" for half way back home. Obviously starting a lawncare business in any state that you choose to relocate to will not be easy. It takes time to learn the area and to get people to trust you. That said, when I relocated here from Maryland I purchased an existing company. Makes it a lot easier.
Out of those 3 I would move to NC. Nice seasons, winters that aren't harsh, etc. However, I don't know which areas would have good economies for landscaping and maintenance.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Out of those 3 I would move to NC. Nice seasons, winters that aren't harsh, etc. However, I don't know which areas would have good economies for landscaping and maintenance.
HINT.......The Myrtle Beach metro area has the highest number of new building permits in the country. Retirees do not want to mow their lawn. That said, if someone has kids you can bet they will fly the coop pretty quickly to look for an area where there is money to be made ie. a northern state. Many things must be weighed and factored into any decision to relocate.