Register free!

Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Engine oil

I'm currently using SAE 30 kawasaki engine oil and buying it by the case. 12 quarts in a case. I'm being charged $42.99 which isn't bad but if I can save a buck a will. So I've been looking into buying by the 5 gallon barrel and found one from Traveller heavy duty SAE 30w for $50. Simple math says thats a great savings. But wanted to feel it out and see if A) this is a good oil co. B) Kawasaki is the way to go and C) if any one else has a better ideas to help stream line the company.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

5 gallons, 640 oz. $50.00 divided by 640 oz = 7.8 cents per oz

Just bought 2 five quart jugs of Valvoline Max life on Amazon delivered to my shop for $18.79 using my Prime membership.

$18.79 divided by 320 oz = 5.87 cents per ounce

Been using Valvoline for decades with no issues.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of oil preferences it's always more economical to buy in bulk. Oil bottles and jugs have a high cost of packaging. 16 and 55 gallon drums are even cheaper when available through a distributor. Since oil doesn't have a shelf life there is little risk. Its just the initial cost that is hard for some guys to bear. It is a good end of tax year write off if you need to spend some money.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Regardless of oil preferences it's always more economical to buy in bulk. Oil bottles and jugs have a high cost of packaging. 16 and 55 gallon drums are even cheaper when available through a distributor. Since oil doesn't have a shelf life there is little risk. Its just the initial cost that is hard for some guys to bear. It is a good end of tax year write off if you need to spend some money.
What are you paying for 16 gallon drums ?
Old 11-19-2014, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
What are you paying for 16 gallon drums ?
420 Mobil 1 synthetic 15w50
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info !
Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I was always told to use sae 30 weight for my mowers. I have a wright stander and a dixie chopper. The dixie has a generac motor and burns gas pretty quick (at least I feel as though it does) the dealer I bought it from said its normal to have it burn some. I've tried to use 10w-30 and it doesn't last at all. What type of oil do you guys (the pros) use?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I run napa synthetic, I spend extra for individual quarts as it's far easier and faster for my guys to do oil changes with out having to measure and try to get it right.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I run napa synthetic, I spend extra for individual quarts as it's far easier and faster for my guys to do oil changes with out having to measure and try to get it right.

I am the One Quart guy also. But then I do very little of my own mechanic work any more. I have used the same shade Tree Mechanic for 20 years now. He but Bulk oil and has a portable oil tank that actually measures the Oil as it fills engines. He also has a oil Suction device for draining oil. But then he is a full time Mechanic and has all the Toys that make his job easier.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use the Amsoil 4 stroke small engine SAE 30. I figure next to the trucks , the mower is your next largest piece of equipment investment wise generally and so why try to cheap out on oil? Please no Amsoil Rep Post now though. Buying in bulk sounds interesting though especially on the Mobil 1 syn. I used to use Mobil 1 Syn in trucks and equipment but switched to Amsoil maybe two years ago or so!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!