Register free!

Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What about just the opposite when they WRAP the truck and trailer with a god awful design that is hard to read??? I believe there is a thing of TOO MUCH signage that screams desperations. More than Half the wrap jobs I see on the road, I can't read. I gave up trying to read them years ago when wraps first came out.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Does anyone have a legit reason NOT. To letter them? It cant cost you any business
If you saw the way I drive it might.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I once stopped to look at a property before had my truck lettered and noted that the guy across the street was keeping an eye on me.
I walked the lawn and went back to my truck where I started making notes, and preparing for the next few jobs - I sat there for about ten minutes. When I looked out my window, there he was, standing in his drive with his arms folded across his chest, staring at me.

I put the window down and said "Becky called and asked for an estimate for the lawn."
The fact that I used the person's name eased his mind - he was uneasy about this stranger walking around his neighbor's house and not knowing what he was up to. We chatted for a bit and he mentioned that he has small children and doesn't take chances. "We all keep an eye out for each other."

Being legitimate and looking legitimate are two different animals.
Even people in uniforms and signed trucks need to be questioned. In my town, anyone that drives into a neighborhood is noticed and often questioned. Interestingly enough, this tends to happen in the lower class neighborhoods most often. Lots of crime and criminals in those neighborhoods, so people tend to be extremely street smart there. In the rich neighborhoods, people tend to not give a $T. After they drive their Lexus into their garage and lower the door, whatever is going on outside is not their concern.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-04-2014, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IES View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I have seen many instances of people putting themselves in danger sharing the road with company vehicles with the idea of the company having really good insurance. I used to drive a lettered company vehicle 7 years ago. People would cut you off and cry that you were driving recklessly or they would follow a truck carrying gravel or dirt and complain about things hitting their car. Well then, Forrest, get off my bumper!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's all about business branding. If you do good work, people notice it and it helps that they know who you are and which company is doing it. Free advertising plus the people that see your trucks around town are likely to give you a call for work since they remember the logo or the name.

It's so cheap to letter a truck, had my logo professionally done for cheap too. Why not?!?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IES View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I have seen many instances of people putting themselves in danger sharing the road with company vehicles with the idea of the company having really good insurance. I used to drive a lettered company vehicle 7 years ago. People would cut you off and cry that you were driving recklessly or they would follow a truck carrying gravel or dirt and complain about things hitting their car. Well then, Forrest, get off my bumper!

The best is the people who jet in front of you from the lane over when you're coming to a red light...I drive very conservatively and keep lots of space but...I guess these people don't realize that trucks towing trailers don't stop as quickly as cars... The ten feet you just gained by cutting in front of me at the last minute might have been in my calculations for braking to a stop...

Haha, didn't mean to turn this into a complaint forum for Florida driving!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some yo-yo's see company trucks as a tort target. Your insurance is better than theirs so a free car, etc is a possibility. They do not drive like maniacs near a 1992 Toyota Camry with faded paint and the trim crumbling.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see both sides of the argument. Many times a lettered truck looks pretty bad. A State Farm insurance agent has a lettered truck in his shopping center parking lot. Brand new Toyota that has been ruined with his wrap job. All the facebook, twitter, etc crap looks terrible. Whatever happened to just putting your name, phone number, and website on a truck?

I always assumed a main reason for not lettering was people not wanting to 'tag their daily drivers. Pretty common for the boss to drive a non lettered truck while the rest are tagged.

The amount of people purposely putting themselves in harms way for something that isn't publicly traded is slim.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I see both sides of the argument. Many times a lettered truck looks pretty bad. A State Farm insurance agent has a lettered truck in his shopping center parking lot. Brand new Toyota that has been ruined with his wrap job. All the facebook, twitter, etc crap looks terrible. Whatever happened to just putting your name, phone number, and website on a truck?

I always assumed a main reason for not lettering was people not wanting to 'tag their daily drivers. Pretty common for the boss to drive a non lettered truck while the rest are tagged.

The amount of people purposely putting themselves in harms way for something that isn't publicly traded is slim.
You would be surprised. A company truck just says "mess with me" I can't do anything about it. Like I said people are not on their best behavior. Things are done to commercial vehicles because a third party is involved.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hate to use a Hillary quote but "what difference does it make"? I don't have any markings on my truck, everyone that needs to know what I do for a living knows what I do, I am plenty busy and my Home owners association forbids vehicles with signage. Is this one of those busy body threads?