Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The hydro gear 5400's are capable of 19 mph. These are what the cheetah, 400 series, and altoz are using, plus many more at this point. But just because they are capable of 19 mph obviously doesn't mean the mower manufacturers are using all that speed. I can cut around 13 mph with good results but for the best cut quality on high end accounts 11 mph max, sometimes 8-10 mph. In reality you need some pretty smooth turf to go much faster than that. Most of those crazy fast speeds are meant for transport or just knocking down grass where cut quality isn't a priority.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The one I tried I really liked the Generac, it killed the Kohlers that came on the Hustlers but the mower had no foot pedal to raise the deck. I have noticed how wide the Dixies are in the rear. It is no problem to space the rear out more on a mower. I have put longer studs in the hubs before and shimmed them out.

I am surprised on a 9 inch rim you do not blow off the rim. When I do this job I just lower the air pressure to where it looks good by eye. I have to be real careful because this thing is so steep it will blow the tires right of the rims on the WB and Z if the air pressure is to low.
Do you even know what tire pressure is in your tires
You saying you eye ball the tires tells me Do you even mow at all. I check mine every day with a gauge

Lets see a photo of your hustler and how wide the rear is

All my DC has a foot pedal to raise the deck DC

Boy you need to read some books on rims and tires

Taller sidewalls on small rims there is more volume so less pressure needed to keep tire on the rim
Shorter sidewalls on big rim there is less volume so more pressure is needed to keep tires on.
Someone mows steep hills should know this
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
except I think scag is literally the fastest now.
DC has one now a Propane mower that runs in the 20s
But with speed you need a higher speed deck and scag does not have that
Only way scag to have a nice cut is to go slow all that speed it can do is a waste
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would also like to see pics. All of us have put our money where our mouth is and post a ton of pics of our business, equipment, and reviews....
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 04-16-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to mow steep....

This is probably our overall steepest property. On the water side we'll cut it with a wb, it's not too bad, but even a X-series TT will side in a few spots. The bad part is it goes from 0' to 78' deep in about 3 feet. Not something I want to try with a ZTR.
Name:  20130826_164712 (Medium).jpg
Views: 54
Size:  76.8 KB

Now this side we contract out for 4 cuts a year. The guy that does it uses a Bobcat T770 with a brush hog on the front. He goes across most of it, but still... not something I'd like to do. I have been up and down a few swipes with the Kubota B, but even with it we had about 210lb of front end weight.
Name:  20130826_163123 (Medium).jpg
Views: 54
Size:  97.4 KB

Oh ya, the overall length is approx 850' and the water side is approx 70' high and the spillway side is approx 210'. So if someone wants to calculate the incline feel free.

Someplaces just aren't made for a ZTR.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
If you want to mow steep....

This is probably our overall steepest property. On the water side we'll cut it with a wb, it's not too bad, but even a X-series TT will side in a few spots. The bad part is it goes from 0' to 78' deep in about 3 feet. Not something I want to try with a ZTR.
Attachment 289488

Now this side we contract out for 4 cuts a year. The guy that does it uses a Bobcat T770 with a brush hog on the front. He goes across most of it, but still... not something I'd like to do. I have been up and down a few swipes with the Kubota B, but even with it we had about 210lb of front end weight.
Attachment 289489

Oh ya, the overall length is approx 850' and the water side is approx 70' high and the spillway side is approx 210'. So if someone wants to calculate the incline feel free.

Someplaces just aren't made for a ZTR.
Wow!! Thats steep and no joke. I have some that steep but no where near as large. The water sure doesn't help either...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't like mowing with a side of danger?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Wow!! Thats steep and no joke. I have some that steep but no where near as large. The water sure doesn't help either...
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya, I'm a decent swimmer but still, I have no desire to try to play Houdini and escape from a ZTR. There's no place to turn at the bottom of the water side either, just large rock and a foot path. It's about 48' wide at the top, so that's about the only place to use a ZTR and even then you don't want to get right at the edge.

We cut that side every 3rd week, so I definitely get my exercise in. The location is one of the main water reservoirs for a nearby city, I think the plaque says it contains over 500,000,000 gallons of water.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had a hill that was even steeper but not as tall. It was about 25 feet tall. But about a mile long. Had to be cut every week

One crew used 21s. Another used a trimmer. He was very fast and looked even better than the 21s. I could cut the complex and he'd be done the hill before I was on the lazer lol. Wasn't a hack job at all all he did was run the trimmer was 3 years

We tried a 36 but it rolled right over
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
We had a hill that was even steeper but not as tall. It was about 25 feet tall. But about a mile long. Had to be cut every week

One crew used 21s. Another used a trimmer. He was very fast and looked even better than the 21s. I could cut the complex and he'd be done the hill before I was on the lazer lol. Wasn't a hack job at all all he did was run the trimmer was 3 years

We tried a 36 but it rolled right over
Posted via Mobile Device
If a guy knows what he's doing you can get an great cut with a trimmer/brushcutter with bicycle handlebars. Before we got the contract the Core of Engineers would use college students to use trimmers on the water side. But you pay 5 guys min wage in 90 degree heat and you see what you get! haha.