Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #151  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
If you want to mow steep....

This is probably our overall steepest property. On the water side we'll cut it with a wb, it's not too bad, but even a X-series TT will side in a few spots. The bad part is it goes from 0' to 78' deep in about 3 feet. Not something I want to try with a ZTR.
If its that steep the mower wouldn't even sit on it From the pic looks like 2-1 slope I could mow it with my DC Depending on the ground conditions I have just like that I had for 5 year been lucky never been in the pond last 3 companies has been in the pond the customer told me on wood

Now this side we contract out for 4 cuts a year. The guy that does it uses a Bobcat T770 with a brush hog on the front. He goes across most of it, but still... not something I'd like to do. I have been up and down a few swipes with the Kubota B, but even with it we had about 210lb of front end weight.
Now this be no problem mowing with my DC but not 4 times a year I mow that with my 18ft batwing

Oh ya, the overall length is approx 850' and the water side is approx 70' high and the spillway side is approx 210'. So if someone wants to calculate the incline feel free.

Someplaces just aren't made for a ZTR.
If you set the mower up right you can mow steep stuff I found out over the years the best motor to run on steep stuff is the EFI Back when I did things with a carb motor had fuel issues steep inclines
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
I should take a pic of a hill by me where they guy outfitted duals on his old garden tractor to mow it. Its this steep or steeper
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
It's about like that on the water side as steep but not as steep for as long but overall more to mow longer and wider also all torn up in spots where I use a WB and you have to weed eat. The Z will do a lot of it but you have to get it where the front is pointed up at 2 or so Oclock and you cut sliding practically sideways across with the mower and you have to be real careful or you just slide to the bottom. fortunately they put a fence up so you do not go into the crock pits. On this job you can get killed on multiple fronts. They hauled a 10 foot Gator out of a area I mow at the edge with the WB and weed eat the edge and the pond was only 50X75 and had a 10 footer living in their. I new he was there but had no idea he was 10 foot. All kinds of Rattle snakes and water Mocs . It is on a swampy marsh preserve section of I 75 in FL. If it is wet at all you cannot cut with my Z at all, maybe if I had ribbed tires? I was real impressed the way my 72 will set up in just the right position to make it happen. I really like my 72 mower, the best purchase I ever made. I was always told by dealers don't get a 72 they scalp.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,110
I think with some guys it's an ego thing. These are the same types that throw a 60" ZTR on a small city lot just because they have one. Sometimes you just need to factor working longer into your price and work smart and safe. Money isn't worth anything if you aren't around or able to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
If you set the mower up right you can mow steep stuff I found out over the years the best motor to run on steep stuff is the EFI Back when I did things with a carb motor had fuel issues steep inclines
The 0' to 78' is referring to the water depth from the shore....
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I should take a pic of a hill by me where they guy outfitted duals on his old garden tractor to mow it. Its this steep or steeper
Now that is a cutting machine, a modern 72 with duals will do that with a drive in torque mode like the new Super has, the Kabuki drive may be able to handle that as well but I don't know. I do know this these new Z's with the all in one units like the 5400 Dyna they are selling in these ZTR's will not take that kind of abuse.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
It's about like that on the water side as steep but not as steep for as long but overall more to mow longer and wider also all torn up in spots where I use a WB and you have to weed eat. The Z will do a lot of it but you have to get it where the front is pointed up at 2 or so Oclock and you cut sliding practically sideways across with the mower and you have to be real careful or you just slide to the bottom. fortunately they put a fence up so you do not go into the crock pits. On this job you can get killed on multiple fronts. They hauled a 10 foot Gator out of a area I mow at the edge with the WB and weed eat the edge and the pond was only 50X75 and had a 10 footer living in their. I new he was there but had no idea he was 10 foot. All kinds of Rattle snakes and water Mocs . It is on a swampy marsh preserve section of I 75 in FL. If it is wet at all you cannot cut with my Z at all, maybe if I had ribbed tires? I was real impressed the way my 72 will set up in just the right position to make it happen. I really like my 72 mower, the best purchase I ever made. I was always told by dealers don't get a 72 they scalp.
You keep voiding my question Lets see a pic of your mower
If I remember right last summer you talk a lot but never would show a pic of your setup you have
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
If you set the mower up right you can mow steep stuff I found out over the years the best motor to run on steep stuff is the EFI Back when I did things with a carb motor had fuel issues steep inclines
I totally agree with your statements about reducing the rim size and increasing the sidewall, but still... I guess I'm not that brave. On our Lazer Zs I run 24x12x12 HD Field Trax and they are much better than the factory turfs. I've contemplated over the years about putting some fluid in the wheels. I've looked into Rimguard but there isn't a distributor anywhere within 100+ miles. We run fluid in the tractor and it's night and day difference in stability.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You keep voiding my question Lets see a pic of your mower
If I remember right last summer you talk a lot but never would show a pic of your setup you have
I never post pictures or take them, I am real bad about that. I think the last picture I have of myself was when I was about 3 and a 1/2. I have movie cameras and plenty of cameras just do not use them. Never even loaded film in them.

I know either put up or shut up.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Now that is a cutting machine, a modern 72 with duals will do that with a drive in torque mode like the new Super has, the Kabuki drive may be able to handle that as well but I don't know. I do know this these new Z's with the all in one units like the 5400 Dyna they are selling in these ZTR's will not take that kind of abuse.


They arn't new and they are way heavier than a normal Z. It weighs 3100 lbs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.08139 seconds with 8 queries