Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
If you want to mow steep....

This is probably our overall steepest property. On the water side we'll cut it with a wb, it's not too bad, but even a X-series TT will side in a few spots. The bad part is it goes from 0' to 78' deep in about 3 feet. Not something I want to try with a ZTR.
If its that steep the mower wouldn't even sit on it From the pic looks like 2-1 slope I could mow it with my DC Depending on the ground conditions I have just like that I had for 5 year been lucky never been in the pond last 3 companies has been in the pond the customer told me on wood

Now this side we contract out for 4 cuts a year. The guy that does it uses a Bobcat T770 with a brush hog on the front. He goes across most of it, but still... not something I'd like to do. I have been up and down a few swipes with the Kubota B, but even with it we had about 210lb of front end weight.
Now this be no problem mowing with my DC but not 4 times a year I mow that with my 18ft batwing

Oh ya, the overall length is approx 850' and the water side is approx 70' high and the spillway side is approx 210'. So if someone wants to calculate the incline feel free.

Someplaces just aren't made for a ZTR.
If you set the mower up right you can mow steep stuff I found out over the years the best motor to run on steep stuff is the EFI Back when I did things with a carb motor had fuel issues steep inclines
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I should take a pic of a hill by me where they guy outfitted duals on his old garden tractor to mow it. Its this steep or steeper
Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's about like that on the water side as steep but not as steep for as long but overall more to mow longer and wider also all torn up in spots where I use a WB and you have to weed eat. The Z will do a lot of it but you have to get it where the front is pointed up at 2 or so Oclock and you cut sliding practically sideways across with the mower and you have to be real careful or you just slide to the bottom. fortunately they put a fence up so you do not go into the crock pits. On this job you can get killed on multiple fronts. They hauled a 10 foot Gator out of a area I mow at the edge with the WB and weed eat the edge and the pond was only 50X75 and had a 10 footer living in their. I new he was there but had no idea he was 10 foot. All kinds of Rattle snakes and water Mocs . It is on a swampy marsh preserve section of I 75 in FL. If it is wet at all you cannot cut with my Z at all, maybe if I had ribbed tires? I was real impressed the way my 72 will set up in just the right position to make it happen. I really like my 72 mower, the best purchase I ever made. I was always told by dealers don't get a 72 they scalp.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think with some guys it's an ego thing. These are the same types that throw a 60" ZTR on a small city lot just because they have one. Sometimes you just need to factor working longer into your price and work smart and safe. Money isn't worth anything if you aren't around or able to enjoy it.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
If you set the mower up right you can mow steep stuff I found out over the years the best motor to run on steep stuff is the EFI Back when I did things with a carb motor had fuel issues steep inclines
The 0' to 78' is referring to the water depth from the shore....
Old 04-16-2014, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I should take a pic of a hill by me where they guy outfitted duals on his old garden tractor to mow it. Its this steep or steeper
Now that is a cutting machine, a modern 72 with duals will do that with a drive in torque mode like the new Super has, the Kabuki drive may be able to handle that as well but I don't know. I do know this these new Z's with the all in one units like the 5400 Dyna they are selling in these ZTR's will not take that kind of abuse.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
It's about like that on the water side as steep but not as steep for as long but overall more to mow longer and wider also all torn up in spots where I use a WB and you have to weed eat. The Z will do a lot of it but you have to get it where the front is pointed up at 2 or so Oclock and you cut sliding practically sideways across with the mower and you have to be real careful or you just slide to the bottom. fortunately they put a fence up so you do not go into the crock pits. On this job you can get killed on multiple fronts. They hauled a 10 foot Gator out of a area I mow at the edge with the WB and weed eat the edge and the pond was only 50X75 and had a 10 footer living in their. I new he was there but had no idea he was 10 foot. All kinds of Rattle snakes and water Mocs . It is on a swampy marsh preserve section of I 75 in FL. If it is wet at all you cannot cut with my Z at all, maybe if I had ribbed tires? I was real impressed the way my 72 will set up in just the right position to make it happen. I really like my 72 mower, the best purchase I ever made. I was always told by dealers don't get a 72 they scalp.
You keep voiding my question Lets see a pic of your mower
If I remember right last summer you talk a lot but never would show a pic of your setup you have
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I totally agree with your statements about reducing the rim size and increasing the sidewall, but still... I guess I'm not that brave. On our Lazer Zs I run 24x12x12 HD Field Trax and they are much better than the factory turfs. I've contemplated over the years about putting some fluid in the wheels. I've looked into Rimguard but there isn't a distributor anywhere within 100+ miles. We run fluid in the tractor and it's night and day difference in stability.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You keep voiding my question Lets see a pic of your mower
If I remember right last summer you talk a lot but never would show a pic of your setup you have
I never post pictures or take them, I am real bad about that. I think the last picture I have of myself was when I was about 3 and a 1/2. I have movie cameras and plenty of cameras just do not use them. Never even loaded film in them.

I know either put up or shut up.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Now that is a cutting machine, a modern 72 with duals will do that with a drive in torque mode like the new Super has, the Kabuki drive may be able to handle that as well but I don't know. I do know this these new Z's with the all in one units like the 5400 Dyna they are selling in these ZTR's will not take that kind of abuse.

They arn't new and they are way heavier than a normal Z. It weighs 3100 lbs