Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Z's carry all there weight over the rear wheels? by the way the kabuki has a high center of gravity
when are you going to give it a rest everything sits lower than waist high. When have you heard of anyone flipping a z on a hill? Its about impossible. You slide, not flip. Most z's are 80-20. diesels have a better transfer than gas. Your hustler I bet is 70-30 or worse due to how heavy the deck is. Scag I imagine is similar. The better the transfer the better it will do on hills.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
when are you going to give it a rest everything sits lower than waist high. When have you heard of anyone flipping a z on a hill? Its about impossible. You slide, not flip. Most z's are 80-20. diesels have a better transfer than gas. Your hustler I bet is 70-30 or worse due to how heavy the deck is. Scag I imagine is similar. The better the transfer the better it will do on hills.
It is not impossible to flip a Z on a hill, the area I due has washed out gullies and all kinds of holes from rodents and the likes, the people who were doing it before me would not take a 60 on it because they were afraid of dropping a wheel in a hole sliding down and going over. It can happen here with no problem.

The 72 is wider and carries all that deck weight low so it is much safer in my apt, the video of the Kabukie was not impressive and when I went and looked at one the whole drive train and motor and all sat pretty darn high. A lot higher than my Super. I am not saying it would not be better than what I have but the laws of physics are stacked not in its favor at all.

Whenever I took this job on 4 years ago the first thing I did was check to see if I had the right mower to do this, a dealer outside my town sold Grass Hopper and Grass Hopper diesel as well as Hustler. I just did not pull this out of my butt, I asked them what was the best Z for doing slopes and they told me what I had would be tough to beat and I asked them about a GH diesel and the dealer told me point blank no and stated the additional weight of the diesel would cause the mower to slide the bottom.

I am not saying you are wrong at all and you may very well be right but my reasoning came from this one conversation with this one dealer and he basically said that. So that is why I never really went looking for anything else because the one dealer.

By the way I think with dual wheels my mower could do that with the invention Mchippy put up as a aid.

There was another thread where this same conversation came up about a year or 2 ago and another person verified posting with me what I found and that is his 72 ate his 60 for lunch on steep inclines and if you catch something solid or drop a wheel in a hole one of these mowers sliding down sideways can and will go over. A 60 would be alot easier to flip over a 72.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just called the Kwick Kut people and I have seen that machine before on the net and watched the videos, they told me exactly what I already know.

# 1 the Kwik K with single tires can only do 30 degrees, it is able to do 40 because the duals. Which means duals on a ZTR should be good for another 10 degress which puts it at probably the same. He said the only reason they do not attempt over 40 was the engine will burn up.

# 2 He said the machine is able to do what it does because it is a skid steer and it is wide and has a low center of gravity, all it is is a big ZTR.

# 3 He said in areas that the turf is sandy or soft being lighter is better to keep from sliding down the hill and tearing the property up but said if the ground and turf is solid extra added low weight is not a problem.

So basically what it means is a properly set up smaller Z that has the right geometry should be able to do what a Kwik Kut does at a fraction of the price or maybe more. The machine is 60,000 $ vs 15 for a Z mower that should be able to do the same thing.

The morel of the story is a dually Z should really be able to do alot more work in some instances. The modern smaller Z is going to be putting alot of these bigger size tractors on the trailer coming up shortly.

The ZTR's have not reached there full potential but should be there soon.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dude you are brand loyal blind.

you're just like the energizer bunny lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
No I am not, it's just Dixie Chopper and the Kubota were designed by Pollocks by todays standards. Cool Pollocks however , who can argue with mowers that will get you laid on the first date and both of them can do that. The Kabukie with the whew factor of a Ferrari and the twin motored DC with the appeal of Big Foot the monster truck.

All the mowers that follow that basic same design that everybody has switched to that was somewhat perfected by Hustler ( they never seem to get it right } with the single belt running the entire deck and real simple to work on design are great mowers. I look at some of these new mowers that are perfecting that design and they are so clean and easy to work on. There are so many great products today that follow that one simple design, so many choices now.

The DC and Kabukie aren't in on it however.

I talk the Hustler HD up because people do not realize what Hustler has in the HD if they could figure it out, that thing with a EFI 40 horse set up right with 2 speed wheel motors dual 26 tire option and pull behinds will do what a 60,000 $ 15ft cut full size tractor will do and a 60,000 $ Kwik Kut will do in one small compact ZTR package that can mow small residentials as well.

I looked at the Altoz and thought they may have put a real drive in it but they did not.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
He thinks if he says it enough it will come true....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd just like to meet a girl that would put out because of a mower....

My wife just rolls her eyes and says "here we go again..."
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
The 0' to 78' is referring to the water depth from the shore....
Yes I understood
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I totally agree with your statements about reducing the rim size and increasing the sidewall, but still... I guess I'm not that brave. On our Lazer Zs I run 24x12x12 HD Field Trax and they are much better than the factory turfs. I've contemplated over the years about putting some fluid in the wheels. I've looked into Rimguard but there isn't a distributor anywhere within 100+ miles. We run fluid in the tractor and it's night and day difference in stability.
Well Im not brave like I was 10 yrs ago when I mowed a Lawn since the 80s this one lawn is 2-1 slope every week. Now I have a lot of 3-1 slope one that maybe 2.5-1 slope in few spots
The guy has it now tore the hill up. He has rolled a Exmark down it and there a 10ft concrete wall and he drop another Exmark off it all in 3 years having it.
Now he just trims it I mowed it for 20 years with no problems

Rules I stick to on steep hills cant be wet and it cant be dry and spray it to kill broadleaf off so its only grass.
You know what clover is like after cutting it( its slick )
Old 04-17-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
No I am not, it's just Dixie Chopper and the Kubota were designed by Pollocks by todays standards. Cool Pollocks however , who can argue with mowers that will get you laid on the first date and both of them can do that. The Kabukie with the whew factor of a Ferrari and the twin motored DC with the appeal of Big Foot the monster truck.

All the mowers that follow that basic same design that everybody has switched to that was somewhat perfected by Hustler ( they never seem to get it right } with the single belt running the entire deck and real simple to work on design are great mowers. I look at some of these new mowers that are perfecting that design and they are so clean and easy to work on. There are so many great products today that follow that one simple design, so many choices now.

The DC and Kabukie aren't in on it however.

I talk the Hustler HD up because people do not realize what Hustler has in the HD if they could figure it out, that thing with a EFI 40 horse set up right with 2 speed wheel motors dual 26 tire option and pull behinds will do what a 60,000 $ 15ft cut full size tractor will do and a 60,000 $ Kwik Kut will do in one small compact ZTR package that can mow small residentials as well.

I looked at the Altoz and thought they may have put a real drive in it but they did not.
Are you in a Retirement Home you on here all day do you even mow grass
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a hill mower a dealer near me sells

2nd pic I hate be this guy
Attached Images