Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I can tell you the best that ive noticed on hills between a exmark, dixie chopper, and huster. I have hundreds of hours on all 3 with a 60" for each one. Dixie makes a great mower, but not for hills, they sit up to high which is great for a better field of view when mowing but not for hills. Exmark isn't bad but their controls are a bit jerky which can make all the difference when on a steep hill. Hustler I must say I liked the most for hills out of the 3, simply because it had much smoother hydros and would allow for minor turns or adjustments on hills that the exmark would simply jerk and loose traction. As many others said on here 72" decks are better (and they are) but that should be obvious because of the added weight and wider center of gravity however, they certainly do tear up turf like crazy when on steep slopes. I may add a stander to the collection next because I like the idea of a lighter more versatile machine.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I am in enjoying you fight for a kubota GMLC when you are a gravely fan I do concur though, there is no physical way you will ever brake a kubota frame. Its vertical plate steel. So you would have to tear over a foot of plate steel shear off 20 bolts on the axle. Its just not going to happen, period.
Long before Gravely I was and still am a Kubota fan. No other mower is built like a Kubota. In most of my reviews I always compare the build quality to Kubota. It really is industrial strength. I like to base my opinions on personal experience, not some stories I heard from other people. Hustler, Scag, Gravely and JD make some of the strongest machines. But honestly Kubota is in a different class. Just look at the weight of them...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 04-14-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I have looked at tires and the stock tires on a Hustler need help, Dixies are nice mowers but come on just use your eyes and look at some of the newer designs.

It's a fairly current model 60 Dixie and in good shape and it is a backup but still cuts the grass nice however. The biggest complaint they have with it is the hydro's are not nearly as smooth as the Hustler.

A 1979 Harley is not going to run with a CBR 1000.

Thanks for the info.
Newer designs of what hustlers looks like Exmark or a scag ,Toro, Badboy,Country clipper, Dixion,Wright, Grasshopper Gravely All different paint and everything has different items but all look like
Mowers that's has there own look is DC Ferris Kubota

Control I think the hustlers are to hard to push vs my velvet touch DC controls
On Hustler there to much free travel I think.
I demo one The ride is way to rough at speeds I cut on my DC

I do like Hustler if I ever buy one it be the Trimstar WB but so far don't need one I demo one for a steep Cemetery 18 acres all hills I was going buy 2 for my employees I would still run my 01 DC the hills so steep I wasn't going let no body run a ZTR on it beside me.
City thought I was to high So the city is doing it there self they tried Hustlers they ended up buying 4x4 mowers the hustlers couldn't stay on the hill safely

Say if it works for you and you are happy that's only thing that matters.

If would change your tires and rims to 25x13x9 you will have better traction and a smoother ride

Have a good day
Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grasshoppers look different too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You dont see many of these around..

http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library...s-Brochure.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
You dont see many of these around..

http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library...s-Brochure.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
No but it sure looks like the old kubby
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are the advantages of a F series Kubota, Jacobsen type of mower?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember doing a little research about the Massey Ferguson mower some member here said it had a stamped deck except for the 72" or something like that. I see if I can find that thread

here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=159200

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=150355

Last edited by DXN1EL; 04-14-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXN1EL View Post
What are the advantages of a F series Kubota, Jacobsen type of mower?
4 wheel drive with a cab and a ton of attachments. We used them to mow and snowblow grass landing strips about 10 years ago. I no longer have the contract.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Newer designs of what hustlers looks like Exmark or a scag ,Toro, Badboy,Country clipper, Dixion,Wright, Grasshopper Gravely All different paint and everything has different items but all look like
Mowers that's has there own look is DC Ferris Kubota

Control I think the hustlers are to hard to push vs my velvet touch DC controls
On Hustler there to much free travel I think.
I demo one The ride is way to rough at speeds I cut on my DC

I do like Hustler if I ever buy one it be the Trimstar WB but so far don't need one I demo one for a steep Cemetery 18 acres all hills I was going buy 2 for my employees I would still run my 01 DC the hills so steep I wasn't going let no body run a ZTR on it beside me.
City thought I was to high So the city is doing it there self they tried Hustlers they ended up buying 4x4 mowers the hustlers couldn't stay on the hill safely

Say if it works for you and you are happy that's only thing that matters.

If would change your tires and rims to 25x13x9 you will have better traction and a smoother ride

Have a good day
I do not know how the new Hustler work with the added weight and height on the HD but I was just shocked at how well a 72 worked as compared to my 60 or my other 60's I have owned. The Hustler was about as low height wise as you could get and not to heavy so I just assume it is as good as anything. The thing about the Hustler's n general I like is if a part or bolt is not needed it is not there like on my Scag TT it was a MESS and my JD was a mess as well not as bad as the Scag but not made as well either.

This is industrial work so I can get away with tearing the turf up, under normal cutting this would be totally unacceptable so my 72 really isn't the best just the best for being able with a good operator to claw on a hill.

A 9 inch rim makes it so you cannot run low air pressure because the bead area is smaller and the tire will pop off the bead? that is the purpose of a bigger rim, you can run lower pressure and the bead will still stay on while the tire can mesh more solidly to the surface because the added rim support through out the whole tire = BETTER TRACTION.

Last edited by Realslowww; 04-15-2014 at 08:58 AM.