Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thats a joke.....there is no comparison. Have you even looked at a Kubota frame? How many 10000 hour Hustlers have you seen? 8000 hours? 6000 hours? 4000 hours?
Posted via Mobile Device
THE NEW HD 72 WEIGHS 1600 POUNDS, and that is with a small air cooled gas motor. The chasses on the Hustlers are the best built designed frames I have seen and that is why I buy them. They have these stupid problems that if they would fix would by far make the best Z design chasses wise.

I went to the Kubota dealer last year and looked at them and gee a bit involved, the Hustler weighs more than a Kabookie because it has more a good bit more steel in it. The new Hustler HD is by far the toughest made ZTR on the market. 1600 and no fat like on my TT Scag. It weighed about the same but a good 200 pounds of the mower served no purpose and was lard, just a awkward design.

Even the old Super had about the best frame chasses out there and some feel it was a better chasses than the new one because of weight and compactness, every single dealer told me the new Super HD was by far the best built Z on the market and said $ for $ it was a bargain.

The drive on the new Hustler is so underrated, with a wheel motor change you could use that system in a tractor pull. The pumps on the new Super can haul 4 or 5 thousand pounds of tractor around at a good clip.

That company should build small light pull behinds to go behind it and put 2 speed wheel motors on it and it would stomp any mower on the market for versatility and productivity. Not even close, this is where Z's are going and they are the first one up to the plate with the new drive they use on the HD that can bridge the gap between big tractor pig and small compact Z.

A true 40 or 50 horse mega Z with tow behinds I think is the wave of the future for do it all cut huge area mowers.

You would have one machine to do it all and would no longer need a Batwing pig and a Z combo.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the way the new 104 Hustler came out with is stupid and they should have built what I posted above.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
THE NEW HD 72 WEIGHS 1600 POUNDS, and that is with a small air cooled gas motor. The chasses on the Hustlers are the best built designed frames I have seen and that is why I buy them. They have these stupid problems that if they would fix would by far make the best Z design chasses wise.

I went to the Kubota dealer last year and looked at them and gee a bit involved, the Hustler weighs more than a Kabookie because it has more a good bit more steel in it.
This information is incorrect. The Kubota 60" gas weighs 1763 lbs. Diesel 60" weighs 1810 lbs. There is no comparison, Hustler is tiny compared to Kubota. Look at the frame, its a huge tractor frame.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
This information is incorrect. The Kubota 60" gas weighs 1763 lbs. Diesel 60" weighs 1810 lbs. There is no comparison, Hustler is tiny compared to Kubota. Look at the frame, its a huge tractor frame.
60inch is 1667, and the 72 is 1770. Hustler is 1600 even for the 72. Their diesel comes in at 1760. The frame is 1.5" x 3.0" .187" steel which is just 7 gauge tube steel.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
60inch is 1667, and the 72 is 1770. Hustler is 1600 even for the 72. Their diesel comes in at 1760. The frame is 1.5" x 3.0" .187" steel which is just 7 gauge tube steel.
Huh. I just got those numbers off the website. Ah w/fuel and without fuel. Just saw it. Either way the Hustler is no match.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyway to much BS about Hustler.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Anyway to much BS about Hustler.
If you want to get down to it the reason why the hustler weighs so much is because the deck is 2 11 gauge plates welded to a 7 gauge plate. Their are 2 ways of reinforcing things, bulking steel up or using a design to strengthen it.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
If you want to get down to it the reason why the hustler weighs so much is because the deck is 2 11 gauge plates welded to a 7 gauge plate. Their are 2 ways of reinforcing things, bulking steel up or using a design to strengthen it.
I will give Hustler honors for deck construction, but not cut quality. Hustlers frame is as good as my Gravely but no match for Kubota's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In shopping for mowers, Hustler wasn't even in the ballpark with the Gravely's and Deere's I am checking out....
Need a quality cut first and foremost.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I do not know how the new Hustler work with the added weight and height on the HD but I was just shocked at how well a 72 worked as compared to my 60 or my other 60's I have owned. The Hustler was about as low height wise as you could get and not to heavy so I just assume it is as good as anything. The thing about the Hustler's n general I like is if a part or bolt is not needed it is not there like on my Scag TT it was a MESS and my JD was a mess as well not as bad as the Scag but not made as well either.

This is industrial work so I can get away with tearing the turf up, under normal cutting this would be totally unacceptable so my 72 really isn't the best just the best for being able with a good operator to claw on a hill.

A 9 inch rim makes it so you cannot run low air pressure because the bead area is smaller and the tire will pop off the bead? that is the purpose of a bigger rim, you can run lower pressure and the bead will still stay on while the tire can mesh more solidly to the surface because the added rim support through out the whole tire = BETTER TRACTION.
WOW You have that backwards The bigger rim with shorter sidewalls you cant run lower pressure I run 3-4 lbs in my 9'' tires on my 60'' I have never pop a tire off a rim. 25x13x9 are a low pressure tire . on my 72'' I run 5lbs never pop a bead.

Back in the 80s/90s The tires I use to run I ran them with bead locks but they was 8'' rims with shorter sidewalls But when I came across 25x13x9'' HD Field track tires never needed bead locks again.

My tires have more volume with less pressure then your tires are low volume of air= high pressure in the tire

The 25x13x9'' tires will give you a better ride over the 26x12x12'' tires

Its simple math