Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #71  
Old 04-15-2014, 01:09 PM
wssolutions wssolutions is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 33
Opinion for Best ZTR for Hills-Original Post

I have a ZD326P, but IMO the Steiner 230, although a 14"TR, out performs the ZD on hills. The weight transfer system, low COG, high floatation tires and front deck are all components to it's impressive performance on slopes.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
This information is incorrect. The Kubota 60" gas weighs 1763 lbs. Diesel 60" weighs 1810 lbs. There is no comparison, Hustler is tiny compared to Kubota. Look at the frame, its a huge tractor frame.
You talking 3 cylinder gas and diesel, if the Hustler had a diesel on it it would be about 1900 or more.

I will go look at them again frame wise out of curiosity but I looked at one and new why the local airport didn't use them anymore, I looked the whole thing over big time and the most impressive thing I liked was the motor and the deck belt other than that you could keep it. I would like the body work for my Hustler's however. On hills 1800 pounds is your enemy big time. Gravity takes it's toll on weight, just look at a old grandma with big ti tties. Oh yaa that mower will sag to the bottom for sure.

I love the Kubota look and style but no way do I want to maintain something like that long term but I am a grease monkey, we have a dealer here locally and people know better, they move very few units. To much to go wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by wssolutions View Post
I have a ZD326P, but IMO the Steiner 230, although a 14"TR, out performs the ZD on hills. The weight transfer system, low COG, high floatation tires and front deck are all components to it's impressive performance on slopes.
That thing is designed for that right? expensive as hell right?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I will give Hustler honors for deck construction, but not cut quality. Hustlers frame is as good as my Gravely but no match for Kubota's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Their frames are better than Gravely's , a 72 Hustler has an extra 100 pounds of steel in the mower over the Grave 72.

Kabookie hydro is no match for the Hustler either.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-15-2014, 03:05 PM
wssolutions wssolutions is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 33
Opinion for Best ZTR for Hills-Original Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
That thing is designed for that right? expensive as hell right?
A new Steiner 235 with a 60" flip up deck compared to a Kubota ZD326P with a 60' deck, no. I bought my 230 last year with a 60" and a 72" deck for 6500. It has a 28HP Kubota diesel compared to the 26HP on the ZD. Here is a picture of the Steiner and the cut, the mower is not your typical ZTR, SCUT or anything else.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-15-2014, 03:35 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
You talking 3 cylinder gas and diesel, if the Hustler had a diesel on it it would be about 1900 or more.

I will go look at them again frame wise out of curiosity but I looked at one and new why the local airport didn't use them anymore, I looked the whole thing over big time and the most impressive thing I liked was the motor and the deck belt other than that you could keep it. I would like the body work for my Hustler's however. On hills 1800 pounds is your enemy big time. Gravity takes it's toll on weight, just look at a old grandma with big ti tties. Oh yaa that mower will sag to the bottom for sure.

I love the Kubota look and style but no way do I want to maintain something like that long term but I am a grease monkey, we have a dealer here locally and people know better, they move very few units. To much to go wrong.
I posted the weight of the diesel hustler, its the same as the Kubota diesel. Also like said your extra weight is in the deck. You have over 100 lbs more steel in the deck, its just 3/16 tube steel for the frame. You are also wrong about the hydro. I've pulled good size trees with it, I've pulled my truck with it and countless other things. It just doesn't have the speed of a hustler. It also has no belts on the hydros, direct drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wssolutions View Post
A new Steiner 235 with a 60" flip up deck compared to a Kubota ZD326P with a 60' deck, no. I bought my 230 last year with a 60" and a 72" deck for 6500. It has a 28HP Kubota diesel compared to the 26HP on the ZD. Here is a picture of the Steiner and the cut, the mower is not your typical ZTR, SCUT or anything else.
Its also 4wd :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,018
I'd rather have a Ventrac over a Steiner... which technically they are the same, guess it's like Toro Exmark...
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Their frames are better than Gravely's , a 72 Hustler has an extra 100 pounds of steel in the mower over the Grave 72.

Kabookie hydro is no match for the Hustler either.
Not true. Gravely's 400 frame is 1.5"x3" tube just like Hustler, but Gravely's is thicker. Just not as long of a wheel base. Kubota make their own hydro's. Hustler has a loooong history of hydro problems.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I posted the weight of the diesel hustler, its the same as the Kubota diesel. Also like said your extra weight is in the deck. You have over 100 lbs more steel in the deck, its just 3/16 tube steel for the frame. You are also wrong about the hydro. I've pulled good size trees with it, I've pulled my truck with it and countless other things. It just doesn't have the speed of a hustler. It also has no belts on the hydros, direct drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just went and looked at the Kubota's, I was blown away by how beautiful they are. I have not looked at them in a while. The price for what you get was pretty pretty darn good. I looked at the 332 72 and it was only 13,199. That mower is the type of thing you put in the living room and dress it up like a Xmas tree and forget about Jesus and worship the Kabukie GOD.

No way would I want that as a commercial cutter but a ranch owner or like I would buy it in a heart beat. The mower has at least a 100 pounds of fat maybe closer to 200. No way would it take near the abuse of a Hustler HD!!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!! No way is the single trans axle hydro as good as the quality of the Hustler seperates but I could be wrong about this because they look good. I just know the hydro pumps on the Hustler can run 2 or 3 72 inch mowers at once and at a good speed.

The mower is a work of art and the most beautiful Z I know of just to much to mess with for a abusive commercial cutter. That thing sits way and I mean way Higher than my Hustler and with all the added weight I cannot see how it could hold a hill as well or close. Maybe it can but the laws of physics are not in it's corner at all.

By the way 10MPH is to slow in this day and age of 330 MPH Funny cars..

Last edited by Realslowww; 04-15-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.09860 seconds with 8 queries