Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Grasshopper won't crank

2010 Grasshopper - 729T drive. 3 cyl.Kubota water cooled. I by-passed the seat switch. With the key on, & I pull the PTO switch I can hear the clutch clunk. The headlights work, deck lift works. With the key on, I ran a wire from positive battery terminal to the starter & nothing happened. I replaced all the fuses. The battery has 12.9 volts. I'm stumped.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

What about the neutral safety??
Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
What about the neutral safety??
Arms are out. I can hear them click. I don't know how to test them.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Unplug steering arm safety switch, one at a time, an replace with a jumper wire. Test each side with jumper wire in place, one side at a time.
you need to order the Grasshopper electrical troubleshooting service book. It tells you how to diagnose any Grasshopper electrical problem using mainly only a trouble light, and sometimes an ohm meter.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Unplug steering arm safety switch, one at a time, an replace with a jumper wire. Test each side with jumper wire in place, one side at a time.
you need to order the Grasshopper electrical troubleshooting service book. It tells you how to diagnose any Grasshopper electrical problem using mainly only a trouble light, and sometimes an ohm meter.
I have that service manual. I know where the switches are , but can't see them or any wires going to them. How do I get access? Also the manual talks about a relay. Is this located in the console ?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The safety switches should be on each side, right at the base of the swing-out handles. you might want to take off the fenders to get better access as I recall.
Your parts book should give you a general idea of where the relay is. I do not believe it is in the consol. It has been 7 years since I last worked on Grasshoppers. I think that relay is located somewhere under the seat area possible on the inside of the side frames. ( this is a guess from what little I can remember).
Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
2010 Grasshopper - 729T drive. 3 cyl.Kubota water cooled. I by-passed the seat switch. With the key on, & I pull the PTO switch I can hear the clutch clunk. The headlights work, deck lift works. With the key on, I ran a wire from positive battery terminal to the starter & nothing happened. I replaced all the fuses. The battery has 12.9 volts. I'm stumped.
So your saying you jumped a wire straight from the + side of the battery to the solenoid blade connector & nothing happened? or to the battery lug? First things first, make sure you starters good & you got a good ground to the motor. Jumping the battery lug on the starter straight to the solenoid via screwdriver blade should make it kick in & spin the starter. If you got good + & - to the battery & 12.+ jumped to the solenoid you will get a spinning starter...if not then you got a bad solenoid/starter. Work your way back from the starter/solenoid to the relay, then to safety switches all the way to the ign switch.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Longh story short - it was the PTO switch. I put a new one in & it fired right up. I noticed some corrosion on the contacts and switched switches. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images