Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2012, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone have experience with the gravely ocdc?

looking for a ocdc for my gravely hd52. Gravely has one for around $200 but i cant tell how it works and how far it sticks out. anyone have any pics or videos of one in action?
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have two. They work great, but, to be honest, I seldom install them. The flexible discharge chute is, in my opinion, too large. I've never measured, but I'm guessing it sticks out 9-10 inches from the mower, which makes it somewhat of a pain around tight landscaping. It also tends to increase clumping in tall and/or, wet grass, just like most any other discharge device.

They do, however, work for what they are designed for. They have a 1/2 closed and fully closed feature. Fully closed, you are going to leave a windrow of grass, but I have used mine while mowing roadside ditches for the safety aspect. With the chute up, toward the road, it definitely decreases the chance of throwing a rock, with minimal windrowing. Even partially closed, clumping will be a problem if the grass is tall and thick, similar to, I'm guessing, any other OCDC out there.

The one major design flaw is the fact that, unless you use them consistently, they tend to get a buildup of grass and debris on the blocking gate itself, making it difficult to operate because of sticking. If you use one a lot, or remember to cycle it every so often, preventing the clippings from building up, that problem is minimal. Also, the handle, when on fully open, is extremely close to the fuel tank, which has a tendency to be a bit awkward, and, occasionally, make it difficult to get it in the locked open position.

All that said, they are pretty simple mechanically, and well built, and will prevent clippings from being thrown into landscaping, or rock and gravel from hitting, say, a parked car. Once you get them assembled, installation and removal is simply a matter of removing one bolt, so, if for example, you only have a day or two you really need to use them, it is no big problem to remove and re-install.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Might as well go with a www.PowerChutedesign.com
Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I have two. They work great, but, to be honest, I seldom install them. The flexible discharge chute is, in my opinion, too large. I've never measured, but I'm guessing it sticks out 9-10 inches from the mower, which makes it somewhat of a pain around tight landscaping. It also tends to increase clumping in tall and/or, wet grass, just like most any other discharge device.

They do, however, work for what they are designed for. They have a 1/2 closed and fully closed feature. Fully closed, you are going to leave a windrow of grass, but I have used mine while mowing roadside ditches for the safety aspect. With the chute up, toward the road, it definitely decreases the chance of throwing a rock, with minimal windrowing. Even partially closed, clumping will be a problem if the grass is tall and thick, similar to, I'm guessing, any other OCDC out there.

The one major design flaw is the fact that, unless you use them consistently, they tend to get a buildup of grass and debris on the blocking gate itself, making it difficult to operate because of sticking. If you use one a lot, or remember to cycle it every so often, preventing the clippings from building up, that problem is minimal. Also, the handle, when on fully open, is extremely close to the fuel tank, which has a tendency to be a bit awkward, and, occasionally, make it difficult to get it in the locked open position.

All that said, they are pretty simple mechanically, and well built, and will prevent clippings from being thrown into landscaping, or rock and gravel from hitting, say, a parked car. Once you get them assembled, installation and removal is simply a matter of removing one bolt, so, if for example, you only have a day or two you really need to use them, it is no big problem to remove and re-install.
so is the rubber discharge deflector still used as well. I dont use my deflector at all because it sticks out so far. I only want a ocdc for the exact reason you are talking about. mowing towards streets, landscaping, cars etc.

could you any way get a couple of pics of it installed on your mower? i would really appreciate it. thanks!
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They include their own rubber discharge chute, and it is actually larger, both in width, and length, than the regular one.

Don't have one installed right now, but can stick one on tomorrow, if I get time.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the factory OCDC on both of my Gravely's and love them. Love them so much the mulch kits for both mowers never left the box. I run them all the time.

That rubber chute IMO is garbage. I remove them from all my mowers. I didn't see any point in running them if I was going to have the blockers on there. It just gets in the way sticking out and all. First thing I did when I got my mowers was remove them. I noticed the OCDC's came with rubber chutes too. Well when they got installed , once again, the rubber chute got removed. I have OCDC's on both mowers without the rubber chute.

We had to make a slight modification to the 252 to keep it in place. Since we took the rubber chute off. When it came all the way up to the fully open position it wanted to rock back and forth a bit and come out of position. the rubber chute actually kinda kept it in line. we welded an inch long piece of metal on either side of it. Now it stays in line and I don't have that rubber chute in the way. I can take a pic if you want. let me know.

there is a pic of them here
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...95#post4353495

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
2011 Gravely Pro Walk 36 Hydro 16HP
1 Stihl KM110 with hedge trimmer and edger
2 Stihl FS90 - Stihl HS45
Husky 435 16" - Stihl MS290 18"
Stihl BR600 - Husky BT150 - Stihl BG85
Generac 3100-PSI 2.8-GPM Pressure Washer
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

"It is not hard what we do. It's like anything else in life. Add will power, desire, and the ability to look for solutions...not excuses. Then you will succeed."
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

do they slide up and down or do they flip?
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILLIAMS64 View Post
do they slide up and down or do they flip?
Slide up and down.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm debating on getting the ocdc from gravely for my new 460 it seems low and not real easy to operate it seems like the handle is low and far away I have power chutes on some of my mowers. Does anyone else have any feed back on this?

2005 F-350 powerstroke utility
1999 F-350 V10 4x4 pickup
1993 F-350 4x4 Dump
2 16' Trailers
2014 Gravely pro turn 460
2013 Gravely Pro turn 460
2009 Ferris is500
2005 Kubota L3130 4x4 tractor
A few 21s
Stihl & Echo handhelds
A lot miscellaneous items
Old 03-01-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsmi57 View Post
I have the factory OCDC on both of my Gravely's and love them. Love them so much the mulch kits for both mowers never left the box. I run them all the time.

That rubber chute IMO is garbage. I remove them from all my mowers. I didn't see any point in running them if I was going to have the blockers on there. It just gets in the way sticking out and all. First thing I did when I got my mowers was remove them. I noticed the OCDC's came with rubber chutes too. Well when they got installed , once again, the rubber chute got removed. I have OCDC's on both mowers without the rubber chute.

We had to make a slight modification to the 252 to keep it in place. Since we took the rubber chute off. When it came all the way up to the fully open position it wanted to rock back and forth a bit and come out of position. the rubber chute actually kinda kept it in line. we welded an inch long piece of metal on either side of it. Now it stays in line and I don't have that rubber chute in the way. I can take a pic if you want. let me know.

there is a pic of them here
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...95#post4353495

do you feel you get mulch results without having a mulch kit on?

Ive never run a whole lawn with the ocdc closed.