Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2003, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

need info about general lawn care

I'm starting my own business and I wanted any advice anyone would give me. I have been in the business since I was 14 and currently own a 20", 6 hp Murray push mower, a Craftsman curved bar trimmer. I've been doing the lawns of two older ladies and a younger lady and have just made a contact with a gentleman who has three group homes and wants me to do his lawns this season. I am considering buying a Wright Stander mower which I have seen several of the lawn guys in this area using. I was also wondering if an Echo trimmer or a Stihl trimmer would be better. I appreciate any info!!
Old 03-19-2003, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/index.html
Old 03-19-2003, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome aboard.

Try the Search button above the 'EverythingGreen.com' icon at the top of the page. Search for 'Wright Stander' or Echo, etc. and you will get lots of old threads about these topics.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ed. I checked your profile and see you are 16 years old. My advice is it check with your school and see if you can get into a vocational program for horticulture.(landscaping). I also started doing landscaping at 14 years old. As my interests grew I found myself signing up for a horticulture class. I also signed up with the FFA or Future Farmer of America. I started my company with two partners at the age of 16 years old. (Before I could drive) My one partner was old enough to drive. We (3 of us) saved all our money to buy used commercial mowers and equipment. We didn't have any credit or co signers. I am no longer with my partners but don't miss them. (more money in my pocket). I always heard from older people that I could not do it. I stuck to my guns though. The road was not always a smooth one but I got past the pot holes through time. Just about everything I said I was going to do I did. I will be 31 on April 11. I own my own house. Plan to get married in October. And own a clothing company. You may find some guys will get on you for being so young but don't let it bother you one bit. If you stick to your guns you will be one of the many success stories. Lots of luck to you Ed. Keep us posted!!! Travis
Old 03-19-2003, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ed, about the trimmers, We have Echos and Stihls. The guys like either trimmer equally well, but I prefer the echo because it starts on the first pull, every time. I am not saying anything bad about the Stihl, but to me, the Echo feels better balanced.
Hey, don't let the age thing get to you. I sometimes get comments about the fact that I am a woman and not a big, burly man. Just smile and say that your work speaks for itself. Good luck, we have been at it for only five years and I still hear it!
Old 03-19-2003, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ed
Do some searching on this site, theirs alot about trimmers on the site along with stand on mowers and walkbehinds. Also take alook at whats in your area as far as dealers are concerned, and talk with them if they seem to be great people to deal with then demo out a machine and see how you like it.
Echo here and also Scag
Matt
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds
Old 03-21-2003, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks alot for all the info. I will probably buy the Echo since it is a few bucks cheaper. Also my uncle who used to be in the business, used them and he says that they are good. Another question. Do you usually bag the grass clippings? My one customer is very picky about that and I was wondering if that is an issue to worry about.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ED

I was wonder are you still going to school? Please Ed if your not stay in and get that high school diploma you will never regert it, and as AGG Lawn said check with your school or community college. I am glad to see that you are industrious, hell my kids are sucking me dry with their college tuition. Anyway back to you. I also started out young learned all I could from father and others in the business then joined the navy and now I am starting my own. I find that this sites and others like this are very helpful. Your are doing the right thing asking question. I would save my money this year and but commercial equipment as I could afford it. Its take time to get it all together, but keep up the good work and it will all come together for you. and yes there will be times where you are not going to want to get up, but remember when those mowers are sitting idel you are not making money. One more thing Please get an education.
"Later DUDE and God Speed"

"I wish I had a son like you"
Old 03-21-2003, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I've read quite a bit on Lawnsite about passing out flyers to get you more business. I was wondering how succesful that is. I saw one post that said success level was high while another post that said that the success level was low.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ed, about bagging. DON'T. Definitely try to mulch. If it looks great mulched - that is what I do. For the first 3 years, we only bagged. What a time sucking waste of money. You lose money all the way around. On a few of our accts - the grass is so long and we start early, so it is usually wet and we have to bag. You don't want to compromise quality. Now, I am looking at this from the point that I have never charged more to bag a lawn than to mulch it. There are some guys that charge per bag or per hour if it takes longer to bag. We don't, but it might be another avenue to explore if a customer insists on having it bagged.