Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't find correct slotted hex nut for wheel motor hub

I have a Parker motor. TL0240US080AAWM on a Zero turn Husqvarna mower iZ6123 TKAA model 968999259
The shaft dia appears to be 1", but Husqvarna's parts diagram says that it is a 3/4" nut (part number 539101332 3/4" slotted hex nut). I know that the measured bore of the correct nut is more than that (closer to 1") and Husqvarna's diagram gives the incorrect part number.
I am unable to find a replacement nut.

What are the specifications (diameter, pitch) of the threading at the end of the shaft where the slotted hex nut goes to fasten the wheel to the hub?

Thank you
Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no idea what it is. Go and buy yourself a thread pitch gauge- std. and metric. Start by measuring the pitch so you know if you have std. or metric size axle thread. Then measure the diameter of the axle in this case. If you don't understand let me know, I'll try to help. It's gonna be raining for 2 days and I need something to do!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

The Parker motor manual seems to indicate it is a 1-20 UNEF slotted hex nut. I googled, and they are very hard to find. Why do they use such hard to find parts?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's not hard to find if you talk to the right people. Try Fastenal on Monday, they'll get you one in a day or two. You won't get one off a shelf- that's true.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Fastenal has only 1-14 plain un galvanized. I think that Hydro-Gear part 51821 at http://www.rcpw.com/hydro-gear-parts/genuine/51821.html might work

Thank you
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you talk to Fastenal or did you use the online catalog? I never come across something like that they couldn't get. I'd order from that link you got and be done with it.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I did talk to the local Fastenal dealer earlier in the week. Their website sells only the 1-14 plain slotted nut. I was surprised that they didn't have it either
Old 04-12-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

and $6 ain't bad. You'll prolly have to pay more for the shipping
Old 04-13-2014, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammi View Post
The Parker motor manual seems to indicate it is a 1-20 UNEF slotted hex nut. I googled, and they are very hard to find. Why do they use such hard to find parts?
@ Shammi. If it's a castle nut,( a slotted hex nut) go to Napa. More then likely, it's a automotive or truck nut. You can also try a local trailer dealer, it just an axle nut. If you have the old one, take it with you so they can match it up.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
@ Shammi. If it's a castle nut,( a slotted hex nut) go to Napa. More then likely, it's a automotive or truck nut. You can also try a local trailer dealer, it just an axle nut. If you have the old one, take it with you so they can match it up.....
Not in this case. UNEF is an extra fine thread. Good luck finding anything with that thread at Napa. I'm sure the OP appreciates your response but it ain't going to happen anywhere off the shelf. That nut will probably be made to order at Fastenal. 1 would cost as much as a dozen. OP found a great source for it at just $6 a pop.

UNEF is used to hold the HIGH torque of the nut and to keep it from backing off over time. It is VERY rare to find a UNEF anywhere in the world. Tie rod ends are about the only application I can think you will find this on a vehicle on the road.

Tags
parts lookup