Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

hears some tips for getting more life from near worn out 2 cycles. buy and install a e3 spark plug. run the gas /oil mix at 32/ 1 vs 50/1. more oil in mix makes better compression.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Putting new rings in a handheld is crazy easy guys, these motors only have 3or4 moving parts in the crankcase, rebuilding can be done in an hour. Unless you have a 4-mix, which isnt that much harder.

Most of the time all you need is a base gasket for when you separate the cylinder from the crankcase. That is if you don't re-use it (halfassed, but works most of the time.)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Reading most the other posts,, I believe I'm in the right place,, I have an old srm-210 echo, It's run like a champ for years but today the trimmer head stopped moving even at full throttle. is this a clutch problem? If it is,, I can do R & R (remove and replace) but I'm no mechanic..
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don'z View Post
Reading most the other posts,, I believe I'm in the right place,, I have an old srm-210 echo, It's run like a champ for years but today the trimmer head stopped moving even at full throttle. is this a clutch problem? If it is,, I can do R & R (remove and replace) but I'm no mechanic..
It could be, was it making any out of the ordinary noise ? You need to see if the clutch shoes are frozen....A gear head could have gone bad, rare, but it does happen, drive shaft could be shot, clutch cup could be stripped...You need investigate.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Will start disassembly tomorrow morning, no strange noises, just stopped turning.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully it is as simple as the drive shaft having slipped out of the clutch drum assembly.
Or you could try some 32 to 1 mix in it.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

srm-210

I've known that the clutch was on its way out for a while, just hoping it's not anything more serious. And why would I use 32:1 in an engine that takes 50:1?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don'z View Post
I've known that the clutch was on its way out for a while, just hoping it's not anything more serious. And why would I use 32:1 in an engine that takes 50:1?
In theory with the thicker gas/oil mixture, there would be more oil collecting on the piston rings, leading to higher compression.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Good and bad news on my echo srm 210, wasn't the clutch but that does need to be replaced, just can't afford it right now, but the flex shaft and inner liner were both broken, replacement parts ran me about $60.00 so looks like i got away cheap this time. thanks to everyone for their input on this.