Register free!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Surfactant rate- application or final mix

I'm trying to use proper rates of surfactant in hopes of using low rates of chemicals.

On most labels an 80/20 surfactant rate is listed at 1 qt per 100 gallons. So you would mix 1/3 oz per gallon.

Does the application volume make any difference in your experience? I use a zspray and wonder if an increase in surfactant might help with a low rate of spray? I've been using the 1/3 oz per gallon rate of 80/20 in spring and fall. I switch over to mso in the summer with celcius apps and drop to 1/4 oz.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure does. What kind of tips are on a Z Spray? I know AI tips need a little more surfactant to work well on account of the larger drops and how the tip works. It places bubbles on the surfaces that need to burst and spread out on the leaf. A regular high drift straight cut fan works well with 1 qt/100 gallons. Running AI tips, I use up to 2 qt/100 gallons. Most labels place a ceiling of 5% concentration in the finished solution. When applying something with MSO, I use a 1/2% concentration in warm weather and 1% in cool weather.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-15-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Sure does. What kind of tips are on a Z Spray? I know AI tips need a little more surfactant to work well on account of the larger drops and how the tip works. It places bubbles on the surfaces that need to burst and spread out on the leaf. A regular high drift straight cut fan works well with 1 qt/100 gallons. Running AI tips, I use up to 2 qt/100 gallons. Most labels place a ceiling of 5% concentration in the finished solution. When applying something with MSO, I use a 1/2% concentration in warm weather and 1% in cool weather.
I'm running the AI purple 1/3 gallon stock tips. I'm starting a round of MSM at 1/4 oz per acre on warm season(burned some centipede at 1/2 oz last year). Turf is in transition and I may increase my normal surfactant rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1/3 gallon means either fine drops or widely scattered drops. Neither is good for weed control. My lowest I will go is 1/2 gallon per 1000.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've thought about changing nozzles to a higher volume or even lower volume with finer spray. I have found the AI nozzles to be a good mix of coverage and drift control. I could change pressure but the droplet size would still be extra coarse.

When you say 1% solution I'm assuming its 1 qt to 100 gallons even though the units are the same?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No. 1% is by volume. A 1% solution is 1 gallon per 100 gallons. Changing to a lower volume with a fine spray might not be the best idea. Concentrated droplets less likely to land on target.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Got it. My math was off too quick on the keyboard and calculator.

I ran in early spring at .8% solution and got good results.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my test of July 2013, at 92 degrees. A non-ionic surfactant caused no damage to the grass. I used 1 percent, 2 percent and 8 percent.
Weed control was not greatly increased--except the herbicides worked better when a surfactant was added when spraying oxalis.