Register free!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Tank mixing 3way & Drive

I have been using Threeway for about a year now, and just ordered a 1/2 gal of Drive XLR8. I know these two can be tank mixed, but are they used together in the same concentration as they are when used alone? The rep at JDL told me that 3way can damage turf when applied in high temps. Is this a concern with Drive? I mostly spot treat, but I typically end up treating 3-5 lawns through the year(usually when summer annuals pop up because homeowners didn't believe me when I told them to apply a pre-emergent.) Any other opinions or advice about these two products would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

3 way can get risky in high temps, but if you time your pre's, you shouldn't have to do blanket apps in the summer.

I've never done a blanket app with quinclorac, I only use it for spot treating CG
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

CG is my main concern. I usually pick up a few neglected lawns through the season that are overrun wit the stuff. I'd like to give Blindside (metsulfuron) a try, but it's pricey. My good customers pay me to apply Pre-m, and the cheapskates won't pay for the price of blindside. FWIW, I found Drive on amazon for $65 shipped. It was $95 @ my local JDL store.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm still trying to learn more about different herbicides, and what they're most effective for and at which times of the year etc. has anyone noticed 3way being kind of hard on young fescue seedlings? I had a patch in my back yard that I reseeded about a month ago and henbit, chickweed, and clover started coming through pretty good, so I sprayed the area lightly with 3way. It seemed like the seedlings did not take to it too well. They have since bounced back and look healthy, but it was worrisome. It's surprisingly difficult to get good info about herbicides. The labels give lots of info, but I'd like to talk to more experienced applicators. I don't really sell these services too much at the moment because I'm not 100% confident in my knowledge of it. I'm going to sit in on some classes at JDL soon, so hopefully that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tried heavy does of spreader sticker and found no injury at high temperatures--it seldom rises above 95 around here.
No injury from a three way, at high temps, either.
Cannot find the post and photos at the moment.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

What's a heavy dose of surfactant? I mix Lesco spreader sticker at 0.75oz/gallon. I haven't seen any damage to mature plants, but the 3-4 week old fescue did not much care for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mix both at label rates and let er rip.
Yes, you need to avoid 85 degree + heat and or drought conditions.
Otherwise, let fly. I have had no problems with this combination out of a PG.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
I'm still trying to learn more about different herbicides, and what they're most effective for and at which times of the year etc. has anyone noticed 3way being kind of hard on young fescue seedlings? I had a patch in my back yard that I reseeded about a month ago and henbit, chickweed, and clover started coming through pretty good, so I sprayed the area lightly with 3way. It seemed like the seedlings did not take to it too well. They have since bounced back and look healthy, but it was worrisome. It's surprisingly difficult to get good info about herbicides. The labels give lots of info, but I'd like to talk to more experienced applicators. I don't really sell these services too much at the moment because I'm not 100% confident in my knowledge of it. I'm going to sit in on some classes at JDL soon, so hopefully that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is why most recommend seeding Fescue in the early fall. You're not in as much competition with the weeds, and if done early enough, you can use preM's against every thing you listed, or will be thicker and there won't be as much open area for weeds to come in.

Read a lot. Ask a lot of questions, and start experimenting.

I used left over bermuda and fescue sod pieces from installs to test different combinations on.

Your local Ag ext office may be able to get you some good info about your area. Local Sod farms can be a big help as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I did reseed in the fall, but had 2 pretty good size patches where none of the fescue came through. The bermuda wasn't dormant when I seeded (September) and none of the fescue came through those two places. In hindsight, I should have killed the yard, tilled in some organic topsoil, then reseeded. It's an 8,500ft^2 yard, so I just couldn't muster the nut to kill it. I never got around to it in late fall or early winter, but it finally started to irritate me this spring, so I've been working on those patches. It's starting to look nice. Not a trophy yard, but good looking nonetheless. Fescue in SC is an UPHILL battle...
Good call on the ag extension office. I'll go talk to them next week. I hoped when I took the pesticide applicator's exam that I would learn about all the different chemicals and their best uses. Unfortunately that was not the case. The guys at JDL have been helpful, and I've talked to the horticulture dept. head at the local tech school, but I still do not feel terribly knowledgeable on the subject.

While I'm asking questions, does anyone use Blindside? Is it worth the extra $$?
Posted via Mobile Device