Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
Make a promise - Keep a promise. Your image is everything!!!!
True, true... I haven't counted over the years, but I know it's been at least over a dozen clients we've picked up because the other guys just wouldn't do what they said, or they just wouldn't show up regularly. I mean, if you're full time why in the world wouldn't you keep a regular schedule?

I think people are also afraid to properly price their services and end up letting the homeowner talk them into doing a lot of freebies that should have $5, $10 tacked on.

Oh ya... also do the little things that count! If it's trash day on a property we are on, we take the cans back to the house. If the newspaper is on the grass, we put it on the porch. If there are some toys in the yard, move them out of the way.

Don't get me started on the last one, but I can't count the number of guys I see out there that are too lazy to move a freaking basketball or powerwheels car, whatever out of the way. That looks so horrible on the LCO to leave something in the yard that can easily be moved and just mow around and leave a mess.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&L View Post
Agreed. There have been countless times that I answeres my phone and some old lady says " wow, I'm supprised you answered".

I used "Radians" ear putty and put ear buds in it when it was setting in my ear, then once cured, I cut a little hole with a razor. They are decent at noise reduction, but makes the world silent with ear muffs over them. I used earbuds with a mic on them, so I can hear my phone while running wquipment.

1 Learn your cost breakdown on every thing.

2 Have a car phone charger in the truck

3 Keep back up equipment, even if it doesn't leave with you every day

4 Smile occasionaly

5 Keep a few sprinkler risers and a removal tool. The day you don't take it is the day you break 2 high sprinklers at a new property

6 Buy once, cry once.

7 if you do mulch and rock, keep a small divider box with samples of locally available stuff

8 turn it down or sub it out if its beyond your ability

9 sharpen your blades when they need it

10 don't be scared to save up some money. A strong positive cash flow let's you execute multiple projects more efficently and snag killer equipment deals when they pop up. Plus, it will be a rough winter if you don't
Posted via Mobile Device
Referring to #5 if you could please elaborate on that one a little. I'm new to this business, and I came close to ripping off a sprinkler head today, and wondered what I would've done if I would've hit that. Where do I purchase what your referring to thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It always seems like i hit the invisible fence for the dog. I always have some weather proof wire nuts with me to do a repair.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep a first aid kit avalible , have super glue
If a hege shear hits your knee cap the glue is fast and has saved the day 3-4 times over the years.

Keep baby wipes on hand, or a water cooler of Luke warm water( no ice) : you never know when dog mess will end up on a workers face.... Our yours,
Oil, grease, grass slime, you never know when you will become dirty on job.

GET A SPARE TIRE FOR YOUR TRAILER
you never know when you will have a flat 10 miles out and it looks so professional to go 10 mph and everyone hearing thud,thud thud.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo View Post
Referring to #5 if you could please elaborate on that one a little. I'm new to this business, and I came close to ripping off a sprinkler head today, and wondered what I would've done if I would've hit that. Where do I purchase what your referring to thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you break one here, you get a fine for wasting water, or a guy comes out and fixes it. Then you get a bill for 90$

These are the removal tools

http://www.google.com/search?q=sprinkler+riser+removal+tool&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=7kNPU5LVB-m6yAGVl4C4AQ&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA

You press it in to the remaining piece of the riser and it cuts into the sides just enough to let you un-screw it.

I keep a small tote with a few of the most common sprinkler parts. A few of each size riser from 1/2" to 6" in length. A few different pop up heads and an assortment of nozzles. 1/4" drip line and conectors, because you'll find some one day with a string trimmer
I also have glue, primer,tape, wire, wire nuts, Rainbird solenoids a cheap 6 chanel timer and a few small scraps of 1/2" and 3/4" PVC pipe with me. The time it takes to go to home depot and back, takes more time than the simple repairs do. My "kit" has more in it than I'd take if I only did mows, but i do a lot of irrigation work.

I'd check to see if you have a JDL (John Deere Landscapes) or Ewing Irrigation close by. They offer classes sometimes, but I've never been. May be worth looking into and they can answer some of your questions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of that around here. Must be based on location
Old 04-20-2014, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
Limited Liability Corp.
It's limited liability company
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
It's limited liability company
Posted via Mobile Device
Corporation and company are the same thing.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
Not at all
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
Not exactly
Posted via Mobile Device