Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

HELP Exmark Lazer Z won't start up after trailering

So here's the issue. Ive got a early 2000's exmark lazer z 25hp air cooled mower, single barrel carb. Model and serial number are, Lz25kc604
It has been a great machine all it's life. All of last season I experienced a major problem when ever I trailered the machine from lawn to lawn. When I would move the mower from lawn to lawn I would get ready to mow I'd turn the key and the motor would crank and crank. It doesn't make the normal noise when cranking. It pops and backfires and if you're lucky one cylinder will fire and it will run for ten seconds on one cylinder then die out. After repeating this process of getting the mower to fire on one cylinder the battery will run dead. Eventually (and I have no idea why) everything returns to normal, the motor cranking is normal and both cylinders fire and everything smooths out and it will run perfect all day long, until it is shut off and trailered again. I assume it has to be something to do with bouncing on the trailer. When it isn't trailered it will fire up every single time at my house. Possibly the carb is flooding? Or the magnetos for the spark plugs are bad? I am ruling out everything in the safety system because that has been disconnected.The motor was just rebuilt at the end of last season (rings, lifters, valves, push rods) and it didn't solve the problem. Again the machine runs perfect once it gets started. It's extremely frustrating. I have tried shutting the fuel off before trailering, and even tried shutting the fuel valve off and running that line running to the carb totally empty to prevent flooding. Neither trick has worked. Where should I begin my trouble shooting? Any suggestions?

Last edited by orb95; 04-01-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Bouncing is probably flooding it. try turning off your fuel inbetween trips and see if that helps.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I have tried that, turning off the fuel tank selector valve then moving to the next job. That doesn't help. Also tried shutting that valve off while the machine is running until it runs dry. That doesn't work either. Also forgot to add into the original description it is a kohler command horizontal shaft engine.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

The ONE trick that does work is leaving the machine idling on the trailer when I am driving. But I'd like to solve this issue so im not idling away my gas because a lot of my accounts are 40 minutes apart.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does it start if you just shut it off let it sit a minute then turn it back on?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, if I'm on a lawn mowing and I shut it off to trim or something when I jump back on it to load it up there is no problem at all. I could start and stop the machine as much as I wanted on the same lawn.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know exactly what your saying . When you turn it over it as if there is no compression at at ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridalandcare View Post
I know exactly what your saying . When you turn it over it as if there is no compression at at ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes exactly. The motor seems not to be cranking over correctly. Like it is not building compression at all, and just back fires when it floods with fuel from cranking. Have you experienced this problem?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What weight oil are you using?

Oldtimer