Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGE2 View Post
No click from the starter but the fuel pump would run and if I pulled the PTO I could hear it click.
Beats me. That means you had no signal to the solenoid for whatever the reason
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with how that is done and what the adjustment should be. What's your theory on the new regulator issue? and why does it start after a couple of minutes?

The charging system has nothing to do with the start or run circuits of the machine, The only thing they have in common is all are ran through the ignition switch.

Quote:
the single wire connected to the start switch was corroded pretty bad and appeared as though it may have overheated at some point.

The fact you found a corroded/rusty post IS a sign of overheat, Overheat causes burnt contacts on the inside of the switch...... That may be why it was acting all funky, I've never cleaned corroded/rusty post just for that reason. I'd suggest replacing the ignition switch AND cut the connector off the charge wire and replace it as well, Re-install the new regulator then re-test everything......

I posted a link to PTO clutch adjustment instructions in the bottom of post #20......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
The charging system has nothing to do with the start or run circuits of the machine, The only thing they have in common is all are ran through the ignition switch.

The fact you found a corroded/rusty post IS a sign of overheat, Overheat causes burnt contacts on the inside of the switch...... That may be why it was acting all funky, I've never cleaned corroded/rusty post just for that reason. I'd suggest replacing the ignition switch AND cut the connector off the charge wire and replace it as well, Re-install the new regulator then re-test everything......

I posted a link to PTO clutch adjustment instructions in the bottom of post #20......
Okay thanks. I will order new switch and re-test.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link on clutch gap; Seems straight forward.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Oops! I should have posted my results. I checked clutch gap and replaced ignition switch and burnt wire end. I put the new voltage regulator back on as well as RestoRob suggested. Everything seems to be good on it. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
Posted via Mobile Device