Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Sponsor

How long do you think you will continue to be employed by the city?. How much do you have presently saved towards this new business?. Besides a truck new or used, will you need a trailer as well?. Are you earning enough money now to cover your expenses to live?. You do understand that when you go into business for yourself you will have no guarantee of work, benefits, retirement funding, paid vacation time or sick leave.
Just realize that if you want to be a Solo operator be prepared for many changes and what ever you do
make sure you have enough money in reserve to cover all of your daily living expenses for 18 months.
Some members believe this is to long of a period of time. I believe if you run out of money to cover all of
your daily living expenses, not business expenses within the first 18 months you should seriously reconsider
this business venture. I would recommend contacting score.org this organization can help you create a business plan and help advise you moving forward with starting any new business. There is no charge to participate and I believe you can gain a really strong appreciation of what starting and running a business is all about.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Jackson III View Post
I work cutting grass for the city of Montgomery. I make $9.35 and hour, I am going to start part time I hope to make the business full time. I did mow lawns in my neighborhood long time ago, I plan on being solo.

I am looking at getting the following tools

Stihl FS90R String Trimmer

Stihl BR500 or BR550 Back Pack Blower

Stihl Hedge Trimmer

Honda 21'' Commerical Mower or Exmark or Toro 30'' Commercial Mower.

I don't have a truck at the moment so I cant start this year. I am trying to build up my credit so I get a Chevy or a Dodge pick up truck.
Get a BR 600 you will need that power for clean ups.

Can your current auto pull a trailer? Small 4 x 8 trailer from Harbor Freight and you can get by without a truck for awhile.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Jackson III View Post
I work cutting grass for the city of Montgomery. I make $9.35 and hour, I am going to start part time I hope to make the business full time. I did mow lawns in my neighborhood long time ago, I plan on being solo.

I am looking at getting the following tools

Stihl FS90R String Trimmer

Stihl BR500 or BR550 Back Pack Blower

Stihl Hedge Trimmer

Honda 21'' Commerical Mower or Exmark or Toro 30'' Commercial Mower.

I don't have a truck at the moment so I cant start this year. I am trying to build up my credit so I get a Chevy or a Dodge pick up truck.
I make 30-40 an hour. Solo guy. I'm 16. Going solo can certainly get you more money per hour, but as another guy said, there would be many changes from what you are doing currently.

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't like dodge. FYI, i started in my car. I folded 21" mowers in the back of my hyundai. I really didn't have a choice; it was sink or swim. I think a little fear is a good motivator.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not quitting my current job no time soon. I can save a good bit of my earning to. I live at home with my parents.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I know I will need a trailer. But I am trying to start off small for my first year. Yes we use a Stihl BR600 blower for leave clean up in the fall.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

You'll get there , just keep sight of your goals. You may be able to pick up a used 36" walk behind for less than a commercial Honda or Toro Turfmaster, though those are both very nice mowers. The Honda leaves a very nice finish. I'm a part timer my self, and know it's daunting getting started. If you can get a few small accounts, you could get by for a couple of seasons with a Honda homeowner model. They leave a very good finish, are fairly robust, and at $400+/- it will pay for itself quickly. I wouldn't ordinarily advocate buying homeowner equipment, but at the volume you'll likely be doing I don't think it'll be a problem. I mean, the Honda and Toro commercial models are over $1,500.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried mowing with the Honda homeowner models they just don't last.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
I make 30-40 an hour. Solo guy. I'm 16. Going solo can certainly get you more money per hour, but as another guy said, there would be many changes from what you are doing currently.
At 16 you may be running a business, however if you honestly believe that going Solo can get you more money per hour you are sadly mistaken IMHO.
The OP I believe has a full time job and more than likely receives benefits
and perks that most FT Solo operators could only dream of just getting started with a new business. The OP while working for the city ATM has very low
overhead in comparison to Solo operators that have many expenses and no guarantee of work, benefits. I hope for the OP'S sake he thinks long and hard
about his future employment opportunities.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Definitely start working in Spring, but if you are just doing a small lawn service I would start organizing and getting things ready in the late winter, so when work season comes you have everything all prepared.