Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2003, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Grading Price?

I went to give a bid today to a guy who just bought a new home without lawn or landscaping. He wants a bid for everything: sprinklers, hydroseed, pavers, retaining wall, and grading. The one thing I am unsure about bidding on is the Grading part of it. The other stuff I have no problem with. The lawn is about 10,000 sq.ft. It is a complete mess. There are mounds, ruts, high spots, low spots, rocks, etc. My job is to level it with a slope away from the house and prepare the dirt for hydroseed. I will be using a skidsteer, rakes, and shovels. Any advise?

How in the world do I figure up a bid for this? I want the other work so I want to try and tackle this one.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

why not sub it out

there is a learning curve with grading for sure. You will use a grader box w/ the skid steer? Don't try it with the loader alone!
I would charge $500 myself for grading/bed prep. Grader box then pulverizer. 4-5 hours if it's flat.
You'll likely have to add some topsoil?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I charge $500. a day for a skid steer and operator. Any other laborers would be billed out separately. And of course extra for materials.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 03-19-2003, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Mike Bradbury

Who would I sub this job out to? I definetely
wouldn't sub it out to another landscaping company. Who else would come out to do this type of work? Thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

newspaper

There are always guys advertising "bobcat work" or "grading" type stuff in the paper or trader mags.
Why wouldn't you sub it to another landscape co? ( I know the answer, but what harm does it really do if it's a type of work that you don't do?)
Old 03-19-2003, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some guys need to check there EGO's at the door...

Whats the big deal about sub-bing to another landscape company? If you don't do that kind of work, who else are who gonna get to do it? I understand your concern about another company's trucks on your job, but lets face it, if you caan sub them out and make a few bucks... I thinks its worth a shot at your ego for the day....
Old 03-19-2003, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that inclusion is much more profitable than

exlusion. hey it works both ways you know. Most guys are grateful for the sub work and will repay the favor if possible. Much better to be buddy/buddy with competitors. Can't do everything.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Farbio... Have you done any of this before? If not you should know when you are out of your league. Either that or you will end up "eating" the job.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 03-19-2003, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think my ego is the reason I don't sub out to other landscaping companies. The main reason is I am in competition with them. I don't feel any dislike towards them or anything. I have thrown jobs at other companies and they have done the same for me. I just feel awkward having another landscaping company at my job site.

Anyways, the guy I hire to pull pipe for sprinkler systems is going to grade it for me. He does just about everything.

Hell no I'm not out of my league Paponte! I have done my fair share of commercial and residential landscaping. Retaining walls, sprinks, pavers, sod, etc. I just don't do have much experience with grading. I own a skidsteer but only have a bucket and no attachments yet. This job just doesn't seem like something I want to tackle with just a bucket.

THanks for the advice.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you rent the attatchments. We charge by the hour for grading/ machine use. In your situation I would include it and since you have a guy that knows how to grade you've got it made.