Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-19-2003, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Rookie Set-up

Just thought I'd post just to check it out. I just started this year and here's what I've done thanks to reading the posts here....

Equipment:
44" toro superflow deck 15hp Koh walk behind with sulkie
Stihl bakpack/stick edge/trimmer
16' trailer

I got a dba and set up a business checking. Trying to keep everything business related separate. Advertising using flyers. So far I only have 3 residential accounts . I'll keep out there though and see what happens.

I am not sure about mulching or not. I hear a lot about doubling up my blades? Does this really work? How about the mulching kit? I've heard both good and bad. Let me know, and wish me luck!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: htm msn hotmail - attachment.htm (904 Bytes, 175 views)
Old 03-19-2003, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what was the attachment I downl oaded and there was nothing there. Looks like your off to a great start though. keep pluggin it will come
Old 03-20-2003, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Harry,
The download was a picture of my letterhead. It's not working though..I guess. What do you know about the best way to lay stripes? How about running double blades? I visited Eric's site and his lawns are absolutely beautiful!!! What do you think?
Old 03-21-2003, 04:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself have never tried running doubles. I mite this year. best way to lay some some stripes is mowing back and forth laying the grass down in each direction. Eric did lay some beautiful stripes. plus the day he took those pics was perfect made them look awesome. especially when the light catches the stripes just the right way
Old 03-21-2003, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

My experience with mulchers is that the pressed deck-type mowers, such as Toro or John Deere, do not mulch well at all, or even discharge as well as a welled deck, such as E-Mark, Bunton or Skagg. I use Exmark mulchers nearly all season (except when excessively wet and growing fast in spring) and expect to continue to do so.

Also worth noting is the difference in mulching with a three blade deck, vs. a two blade deck, (i.e. a 36 inch deck), the three blade deck mulches more efficiently, pulls a better vacuum and doesn't blow the leaves ahead of the deck, the way a 36 in deck will.

Good luck with the Toro.