Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Proline 32" WB gear problem...

Or something...

On the concrete and other flat surfaces it runs great. Once on the grass it bogs down and i have to push it to get it moving again. Once up to speed its fine until i hit a thick area or have to use the brakes, then it stops moving again.

Totally new to walk behinds so cut me some slack please
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Proline 32" WB gear problem...

engine is running but the wheels arent moving when weight added? Try tightening the transmission belt. It is the belt that connects the bottom of the engine to the transmission. There should be a bolt that you loosen up and then move the pulley to tighten it.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Correct. Engine runs great and when brakes are applied the axle (?) Spins. As soon as the brakes are released, it stops spinning and the tires dont move until i give it a good push.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check the tranny and wheel belts. With both handles released the wheel belts should have half an inch of play. Tranny belt, really can't get it tight enough. Might be time to change all the belts. They glaze over on the sides and get slick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I bought it used, and changed the fluids but didnt change the belts. Will do that tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Whatyaknow....tightened the tranny belt and it works beautifully. Thanks a million guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you tighten the engine to trans belt on the ones with the spring tensioner? I tore mine down the other day for a clutch repair, and now it's really, really weak in pulling power. The spring is hooked to the tensioner arm and to the hole in that tab on the frame, but the belt is still pretty loose. The belt that was on there was old, so I replaced it with a standard V-belt (automotive belt) that was the same length. Same problem. I can reach under there and grab the belt and slip it on the pulleys by hand, doesn't seem right. The one thing I noticed when I had the engine out is that when I put it back in, there's a visible gap (maybe 1/8th of an inch, maybe a little less) between the top and bottom sheaves of the pulley on the shaft on the bottom of the engine, above the clutch. That didn't look right, but I didn't look at it when I took it apart, either. There's no way to lock the tension down on the belt from what I can tell.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

To the first poster, you want to get a spare belt as soon as possible, those transmission belts like to fail often, especially after they've been tightened... Find yourself a belt to replace the one that's on there, then keep it in the truck so you're not caught off guard when it does fail, I usually replace at least two a year... The good news is those belts aren't terribly expensive and...
I believe on the Toros you can use an 4L-400W Napa belt but...

You can NOT use an automotive belt in place of it, do NOT do that!
You need an industrial / agricultural rated belt, automotive belt won't last long (20 minutes maybe).
Make sure you tell them it's for a lawn mower, or you can always go to the Toro dealer.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll get the proper belt. I wonder if it's not the gap between those two sheaves that's messing me up, though. The tensioner is like it was when I took it off. Oddly enough, my transmission seems to be making some groaning sounds...hope that isn't about to kick it.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its not unusual for them to make groaning noises. Especially when they get a little damp such as morning dew. Belt dressing helps on all the belts of these mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device