Register free!

Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

19-0-6 .15 Dimension with older lesco ride on machine setting?

Went out and found an older Lesco ride on spreader. Curious what guys that have these machines set them at? Putting down 19-0-6 .15 Dimension. My older walk behind unit I always left a 13. But with the machine now changes it up a bit. What would you guys think? Thanks nothing in search function. I am in lower CT.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think anyone here will be able to help you. Every spreader is tweaked a bit different. My lesco hopper on my PG Mag runs a range of 10 (lower rate fert) to 13 (higher rate fert). Usually Fert + Pre, for me, runs at the lower end of the scale. I have a good feel of the hopper now, and do not bother calibrating as I can just tweak the setting a little from base and get pretty much right on.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I don't think anyone here will be able to help you. Every spreader is tweaked a bit different. My lesco hopper on my PG Mag runs a range of 10 (lower rate fert) to 13 (higher rate fert). Usually Fert + Pre, for me, runs at the lower end of the scale. I have a good feel of the hopper now, and do not bother calibrating as I can just tweak the setting a little from base and get pretty much right on.
Never used a riding one before so this will be new to me. Going to fart around on it at my place in morning. I think I am safer spreading at a lesser rate until I get used to it. If I need to go back so be it. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good stuff DA. Best way to calibrate a spreader is to run in on 3 or 4 lawns. By then you pretty much have it nailed down. This is how I was trained by ChemLawn back in 1979, and it always worked.

Some guys go off the "fert bag suggestions" for calibration rate, some use buckets, etc, etc. All this is bull hockey and is never accurate anyway. The only true/accurate method is to use the spreader on "actual" lawns.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't guess. Start out accurate. Put in a full bag--measure the sqft covered, (even if its more than one lawn). Adjust up or down; repeat, until you are between 100 and 110 percent of your exact rate. You don't want callbacks for crabgrass.
Your new equipment goes faster. Walking is about 2.5 mph. Riding is more like 4 mph--you need 160 percent more outflow per minute.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Don't guess. Start out accurate. Put in a full bag--measure the sqft covered, (even if its more than one lawn). Adjust up or down; repeat, until you are between 100 and 110 percent of your exact rate. You don't want callbacks for crabgrass.
Your new equipment goes faster. Walking is about 2.5 mph. Riding is more like 4 mph--you need 160 percent more outflow per minute.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2une View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
This is very true! I have been in the business 18 years now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=RigglePLC;5003489]Don't guess. Start out accurate. Put in a full bag--measure the sqft covered, (even if its more than one lawn). Adjust up or down; repeat, until you are between 100 and 110 percent of your exact rate. You don't want callbacks for crabgrass.
Your new equipment goes faster. Walking is about 2.5 mph. Riding is more like 4 mph--you need 160 percent more outflow per minute.[