Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2000, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey fellas, i am new to this site so bare with me please. I am starting up business as we speak but.....one question i am bugged by is the difference in price for same lawn...? I was told by a buddy that does landscaping here in Md. and he says always switch your price depending on what neighborhood your in. In other words the people with loot charge them accordingly the average joe a little less....What do you guys think, any advice would be appreciated.....Thanks
Old 09-01-2000, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't, but know some who do. I charge by how much work there is to do. I don't rip anyone off to begin with. I do try to give old people a little bit of a break, but not much.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 09-01-2000, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Guntruck, We're in MD. also and we have a fixed hourly rate
nomatter where we are cutting, I think we're better off all
the way around with these guide lines.

Good Luck!
jerryslawnservice@home.com
Old 09-01-2000, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with jerry.... figure oout what it cost to run each peice of equipt. per hour factpre that in on your price,factore in taxes,insurance,your truck than figure what your going to make start out right.
Old 09-01-2000, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much!!!!

I had a lady one time ask me if we were going to charge her more because of where she lived. Obviously it has been done before but we don't. We base the price on lawn alone and not where someone lives.
Old 09-01-2000, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

all in agreement

Good well thanks guys. Sounds like thats the route to go , not to mention actually treating the customer fairly.

Thanks again
Old 09-02-2000, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am not going to go against any thing said here...But it will be hard to find properties that are exactly alike. They may be the same size, but more may be expected by one customer than another. One may have hedges that differ slightly adding to your work. One customer may have a thicker lawn requiring slower or double cutting during rapid growth periods.

Basically what I am trying to say is that I've personally never have run across two properties that are identical, even if they appear to be the same size. We have some 6000 sq ft lawns that pay $125 a month and some that pay $80 month.
Old 09-02-2000, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The amount of time determends the price. A plain one acre lot is easier and faster to cut than a one acre lot with a house, pool, fence, ect... You get the picture. Trimming usually is a big factor in the price.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-02-2000, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, but I'm guilty of cutting breaks now and again. Two weaknesses: Older people and children. I've been known to help out the single mom, or the family that I know are good people, may not have much, but are in the straits. One example was a guy who had three children, lived in a rather dumpy house, and had a broken mower so he asked me to come look at his lawn. I did his lawn and he was very thankful. I found out subsequently that he and his wife were devoted christians and I KNEW he was a hard worker by the clothes he wore and the calluses on his hands. When I asked if these were his kids, he claimed proudly. "Why, yes."
When he asked how much he owed me, I cut him the deal of the week. I found out later through an aquaintance of his that the reason they didn't have hardly any money was that he was holding two full time jobs with overtime to pay for medical expenses incured by his terminally ill 5 year old daughter. I would do it again tommorrow if I had the chance. Seniors are the same way to me. Sometimes people just don't understand that some of these folks are on a very fixed income, some only collecting S.S. and just can't afford these type of expenses. The way I see it, I can ALWAYS make it up when I get to the doctor's accounts. Well,thank you for allowing me to share this chapter with you, and God bless you all.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-02-2000, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Giving

RUNNER >>>Way to Go !!!!!!!!! We could all give a little more. What you truely give from your heart you will recieve in return 5 fold. Profit is important, but I thank GOD every day for the profits I recieve. There is plenty of profits out there.
Continue the good work, Runner. GOD Bless.
Gen.1:11-13
Gods people beautifying God's creation !