Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how people do it...

I know it's been beat to death but I'm going to beat it some more. I don't know how some of these low ballers do it. I bid a property today at $120/mo for mow, edge, trim, blow, keep beds weed free and prune the landscaping. It was a small ish yard that would take me thirty min max on a long day to do but I can't imagine working for less. When I told her the quote she looked at me like I had three heads and told me I was high, she had gotten two other quotes, one for $75 every ten days and one for $90 for the same services I was offering (weekly). That's a little better than 20 bucks a cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did you do the math on what you posted? 75 every 10 day is 225 a month .The other was 30 less a month.so your in between both bids.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear, it was 75 a month mowing every ten days. Basicly $25 a cut. The thing about every ten days down here, though, is that it's horrible for the grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dr. Cornwallis; 04-23-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Low overhead
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it is everywhere man. I get those looks to lots of people with 2000 dollars Zero turns trying to make money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I know it's been beat to death but I'm going to beat it some more. I don't know how some of these low ballers do it. I bid a property today at $120/mo for mow, edge, trim, blow, keep beds weed free and prune the landscaping. It was a small ish yard that would take me thirty min max on a long day to do but I can't imagine working for less. When I told her the quote she looked at me like I had three heads and told me I was high, she had gotten two other quotes, one for $75 every ten days and one for $90 for the same services I was offering (weekly). That's a little better than 20 bucks a cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
That customer will be looking for a new service provider when that guy goes under. Low overhead is one thing $4 a gallon fuel alone demands a higher price. Simple math would enlighten thes guys but that's not happening. I can't tell you how many times I get the call "your much higher than the last guy" oh ya why aren't you staying with him? "I don't know where he is he just stopped showing up". People chasing peanuts in a race to poverty, who have no clue their real cost of doing business. They will always be there. There's plenty of people out there who want to work with a hard working, honest, professional who aren't interested in risking working with someon who has no insurance, and are willing to pay more for it, go find them. Btw right next to the middle school in my home town a guy has a giant professional made sign in his front yard "home of the $15 cut" I forget his company name but I laugh every time I see it.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

People don't care ,they will use you at the low price till you go out of business then find another smuck to do it.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
People don't care ,they will use you at the low price till you go out of business then find another smuck to do it.
Exactly. And I don't blame them for it. If they want to roll the dice to save a buck and deal with a revolving door of (unskilled usually) service providers that's their choice. I just refuse to waste my time with those types of customers.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

If your making 20 on a yard that takes a half hour I don't see how that's unreasonably low and going to cause you to go out of business unless your driving way out of your area to do it
Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I get a couple of those every month!! I also land several a year like that at my price. Those seem to be the best customers as they've had the bottom of the barrel and now want consistent service!