Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

McLane Reel Mower versus Toro Rotary Mower

After talking with several of you on here i've gotten some great advise on what mower to use for my Zeon Zoysia grass. I know a reel mower is the best however, after further research i've noticed a lot of people say reel mowers are best for larger yards with a more straight away approach. I have about 5-7k square feet of Zoysia grass with areas that are not so straight such as around walkway that is curved and then near driveway (site won't let me upload photos for some reason, sorry). I've been told that getting a really good Toro Rotary will be just as effective because of all the turns in my yard. What are your thoughts and or advise??

thanks.

B
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

False. A McLane reel is one of the most easy to turn and manage reel mowers. It is as simple as making two mower width clean up passes around all edges and obstacles, then cross mowing the middles. If you run the drive at a reasonable speed, it negotiates turns no problem at all. This mower and the greensmowers are very hard to manage if you insist on running it at full speed. You would be horrified to know what I mow with a Toro GM1000. Not a straight line anywhere. The kinds of lawns I deal with have curving edges, free form landscaped areas in the middle and then are not flat.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Go for the reel mower...cutting with a reel mower is like the difference between getting a shave from using a old dull electric razor or getting one using a straight razor. One will will be shaggy and rough and the other will be perfectly smooth
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys that was a huge help.

Brian
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use an old beat up Mclane for my yard of about 12k sq ft and it is probably the easiest to navigate at full speed compared to top of the line brands like Toro. The cut from a Mclane will be miles better than any rotory mower.

With your amount of turf you could get away with getting it professionally sharpened once a year. I find the actual cutting more enjoyable and relaxing with a reel as well. With a rotory, you are essentially 'ripping' the grass instead of cutting it
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried or know of anyone using a McLane 17inch push reel mower (non motorized)?? When trying to find a place to buy the 20inch motorized one this one kept popping up and was curious if this was worth the $300 savings.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't. It is not powerful enough and the clip rate not low enough to mow zoysia.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738