Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2015, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere z235 mower deck

I bought this mower a few months ago. The warranty is basically pointless. Should have know better to go to a big box store.

So anyway I hit a decent size metal stub of a post while mowing. Bent the blades terribly. Changed the blades. Was cutting horrible. Scalping everywhere. Changed the spindles next. Did everything in an order so I didn't mess anything up. Get it all back together and its still the same, except the blade hits the deck on one side while engaging the PTO. I banged the deck back. Still does it slightly. But it still cuts like crap. Scalps badly. I've tried leveling the deck. Everything.It cut pretty well before this

New deck complete is just under $800 shipped.

Anyone have any insight to share before I get any deeper into this?

Is there a deck from another mower that might work? Thanks for all of your help
I'd like to get it back on the trailer instead of sitting in my yard lol!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like the deck is bent where the spindles mount. You can try checking it by putting a long level on top of the spindle pulleys and checking for squareness, level, etc. then tweek the deck or shim the spindle housings as needed.
I remove the deck and flop it on a piece of plywood on my trailer ramp/gate to get it up where I can work on em'. If the deck is on a good flat bench/work surface it makes it much easier to figure out what the phluck is goin on, no?
Have you checked the deck lift linkage/mounts, etc. ? Tire pressures, etc.?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

......AMF!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I did check. Nothing looks bent. Tires are good. I've tried the linkage and adjusted the deck low and high and it still does the same thing. I like the idea of checking the deck if I get time today I will pull it off and get it on my trailer to see
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2015, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pic of scalped grass from it, but can't seem to upload on my phone. Ill try again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2015, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what to tell you but if you're mowing your own yard you're in slightly better shape than if you're mowing commercially, the thing about it is... If you're a homeowner and this is your lawnmower you most likely need a new deck (it's cheaper if you transfer spindles and pulleys and everything off the old)... That's the good news, the bad news is if you're mowing commercially you need a new mower because the z235 isn't rated for commercial duty and it's only a matter of time before the next repair bill comes around.

The skinny of it is, that deck is made of 13-gauge steel which is about 0.09 inches thick.
A commercial-rated deck would be made of 7-gauge steel which is 0.18 inches thick.

There is a big difference, the commercial deck is made of steel twice as thick and I speak from experience when I say 7-gauge steel is nearly indestructible. 13-gauge on the other hand, you hit something hard enough it's bent.
No doubt about it.

As for the warranty, they wouldn't cover this regardless of where you bought it.
If you damaged the machine it's like crashing a car, warranties don't cover this.
The only good news in this case would be, a new deck set you back I am thinking several hundred (3, 4, 5, 6 maybe 7).
Which is good because commercial rated decks run well over a thousand, then again it wouldn't have bent.

You might be able to tweak it somewhat straight IF you can figure out where and how.

Last edited by herler; 07-30-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I don't know what to tell you but if you're mowing your own yard you're in slightly better shape than if you're mowing commercially, the thing about it is... If you're a homeowner and this is your lawnmower you most likely need a new deck (it's cheaper if you transfer spindles and pulleys and everything off the old)... That's the good news, the bad news is if you're mowing commercially you need a new mower because the z235 isn't rated for commercial duty and it's only a matter of time before the next repair bill comes around.

The skinny of it is, that deck is made of 13-gauge steel which is about 0.09 inches thick.
A commercial-rated deck would be made of 7-gauge steel which is 0.18 inches thick.

There is a big difference, the commercial deck is made of steel twice as thick and I speak from experience when I say 7-gauge steel is nearly indestructible. 13-gauge on the other hand, you hit something hard enough it's bent.
No doubt about it.

As for the warranty, they wouldn't cover this regardless of where you bought it.
If you damaged the machine it's like crashing a car, warranties don't cover this.
The only good news in this case would be, a new deck set you back I am thinking several hundred (3, 4, 5, 6 maybe 7).
Which is good because commercial rated decks run well over a thousand, then again it wouldn't have bent.

You might be able to tweak it somewhat straight IF you can figure out where and .
I didn't get a chance to pull the deck off. Yes I shouldn't of bought the mower. I hit a thick piece of metal. From what you said the deck took a beating if that thin of metal.Really thinking the deck has warped. Mostlikely a piece of metal got caught by the blades and starting tearing the deck up. The blades were toast.
Local JD has a deck but its a shell for $500
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSLLC View Post
I didn't get a chance to pull the deck off. Yes I shouldn't of bought the mower. I hit a thick piece of metal. From what you said the deck took a beating if that thin of metal.Really thinking the deck has warped. Mostlikely a piece of metal got caught by the blades and starting tearing the deck up. The blades were toast.
Local JD has a deck but its a shell for $500
Posted via Mobile Device
If this were my machine I would certainly go over the entire machine first and make sure it's not something else, ultimately I'd still like to see where it is bent before springing for a replacement. Not saying which could be at fault but for example it could also be a spring came loose or a bracket broke so I'd look it over real good because even at $500 it's a lot of work and money to replace a deck.