Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

thoughts on hydroseeding

Has anyone dealt with hydroseeding? Is it something that could be used on a residential lawn?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes it is. Works well.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

How did you prep? Apply it? What kind of cost is associated? I have a neighborhood whose lawn is weed ridden. It is mostly shaded. I was thinking a fescue. What would be the best course of action? In central Oklahoma.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fwiw. In my market rates have dropped slighly over the years. I was told pick anything....just don't hydro seed.

Research your local market before jumping in.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Fwiw. In my market rates have dropped slighly over the years. I was told pick anything....just don't hydro seed.

Research your local market before jumping in.

Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroseeding in alaska ranges from .08-.12 per square foot.

full on lawn installs can run from .65-.72 per square foot.

Im not sure I understand the question when someone asks "will to work for residential lawns?"

The grass seed doesn't know what kind of zoning the municipality has.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Hydroseeding in alaska ranges from .08-.12 per square foot.

full on lawn installs can run from .65-.72 per square foot.
That is probably pretty typical in most areas. I did about 60 hydroseeding jobs last year ranging from very small to a couple of acres. Last year I had a minimum charge of $ 275.00 which I am moving up this year to $ 295.00. That will cover up to about 3000 sq. ft. Above that I am at 10 cents a foot until I hit around a half acre then it moves down to about 8 cents a foot. Those with bigger more expensive machines may have a higher minimum. I have heard as high as $ 500.00. That is for grass. We have a lot of hillsides here and I get a fair number of Crown Vetch jobs for hillsides and those are about 15 cents a foot and $ 350.00 minimum.

The cost to hydroseed can vary a lot. My cost per sq. ft. is about 2 1/4 cents per sq. ft. In hotter climates where a heavier application is needed or if someone wants to throw in everything including the kitchen sink into the mix, things like bio-stimulants, co-polymner jels, etc it can run as high as 4 cents a foot. I am sure if someones costs are higher they may charge a bit more as well. I have heard of guys who charge as high as 20 cents a foot which is still a fraction of the cost of sod.

FWIW I get most of my jobs from my membership in the Hydroseeding Association (IAHP). The jobs I do are about 80% residential, and 20% commercial.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No; it won't work. BECAUSE...you said it was mostly shady. Seed will not correct a shade problem. Kill weeds. If you have 4 hours of direct full sun per day, and you have good irrigation--then fine. Hydroseed with a top quality fescue. Trim trees, add paving stones or bark mulch, as needed.
If too shady, you want a ground cover plant that is adapted to your climate. Like Monkey grass.

http://mastergardener.okstate.edu/ar...shadelawns.htm

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...015028852.html
Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

The reason I asked if it would work for residential is because I have only seen it used in oilfield applications or road construction or such.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are lots and lots of residential lawns hydroseeded. Around here we have more lawns hydroseeded than done with sod.

As far as the shade situation goes if it doesn't get any sun at all that would be a problem. I will agree with Riggle that if it gets 4 hours of sun a day then it should work. I am going to attach a couple of photos of one of the jobs I did last year. The photos are the back yard which was sunny and light shade. Some of the front was the same. There was a part of the front that was total shade. The only sun that it got was what filtered through the trees. I did have to reseed that area and used a 100% Fescue and did get ok results, not great but he has grass growing there. The rest of the lawn did come in great.
Attached Images