Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Good Points. I definitely glossed over those points. I think what I'm trying to say is that still, it doesn't have a commerical rated engine, and the hydro's are only 2800's right?

In most experience what usually goes first, a deck, or a transmission, and what costs more to repair/replace. Granted replacing a deck is expensive, but repairing a crack isn't that big of a deal if you know some good welders.

Although the armrests are a pretty nice selling feature. I don't understand why all ZTR's don't have them standard.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

No, still no commercial grade engine on this particular model, but the Kawasaki ' s that come standard are still known to last twice as long as other engines such as the B&S and Kohler. I believe the "FX" series of Kawasaki's engines are commercial. And yes, the ZT-2800 comes on the SD.

Both true about the transmission. And I happen to know plenty of welders. Lol. But from what I gather about the transmission, for my yard, if it lasts me 10 years like it supposed to then that's plenty. And I totally agree with the armrests being standard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I think with 1/2 acre of land, you'd maybe put 30 - 40 hrs on the unit a year? Either unit should last 8+ years if you take care of it, but my worry is the sealed transmission. I've been looking at the Raptor and SD also. I have just under an acre with flat land, but it is rough and has low spots. I wanted to stay with a smaller deck to avoid scalping as much as possible. I still need to stop by the Snapper pro dealer by me, but the SD is where I am leaning (foot deck assist and serviceable hydros are nice). My Hustler dealer carries Toro too, but Hustler is a better deal for the $4000 mark. It's just a lot of money for me, so I am taking my time so I don't have buyers remorse.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I would be willing to say that the Toro MX series is very similar to the Hustler SD, albeit deck construction is probably a little bit less hefty. Price is probably more for the MX though...

BTW good that you are taking your time... I took about a month of looking around looking into what I would want, and finally found some great guidance here on this forum. Pulled the trigger on a Walk behind Bobcat 48" yesterday. Hardest part of it was justifying the expense to SWMBO. LOL
Old 04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Ha, yea I can imagine. I started off the WB route, but I have my 21" for that. My dealer steered me to the ZTR, but that may be because they mainly only have Walkers and they are expensive. I figured a ZTR would just be faster for those lazy days. I was looking at the MX4260 also actually. It's priced between the Raptor and SD models so it is not bad really. I think Toro has rebates going on right now anyway. Too many damn choices.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Go out and drive them... I drove the Timecutter and thought, "wow this is great!" Then I drove a Bobcat ztr and there is no comparison... Much smoother on the hydro's vs. the Toro Timecutter. If you can, I would suggest going for a test drive.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Both the pioneer and Titan are solid choices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
I think with 1/2 acre of land, you'd maybe put 30 - 40 hrs on the unit a year? Either unit should last 8+ years if you take care of it, but my worry is the sealed transmission. I've been looking at the Raptor and SD also. I have just under an acre with flat land, but it is rough and has low spots. I wanted to stay with a smaller deck to avoid scalping as much as possible. I still need to stop by the Snapper pro dealer by me, but the SD is where I am leaning (foot deck assist and serviceable hydros are nice). My Hustler dealer carries Toro too, but Hustler is a better deal for the $4000 mark. It's just a lot of money for me, so I am taking my time so I don't have buyers remorse.
8 Years would be fine with me! And it would probably be less than 30/40 hours a year. And hey man, 4K is a lot of money for me to invest in a lawn mower too. I'm right there with ya on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeetShooter View Post
I would be willing to say that the Toro MX series is very similar to the Hustler SD, albeit deck construction is probably a little bit less hefty. Price is probably more for the MX though...

BTW good that you are taking your time... I took about a month of looking around looking into what I would want, and finally found some great guidance here on this forum. Pulled the trigger on a Walk behind Bobcat 48" yesterday. Hardest part of it was justifying the expense to SWMBO. LOL
Not really a fan of the Toro brand. But congrats on your purchase and I hope you're enjoying that Bobcat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
Ha, yea I can imagine. I started off the WB route, but I have my 21" for that. My dealer steered me to the ZTR, but that may be because they mainly only have Walkers and they are expensive. I figured a ZTR would just be faster for those lazy days. I was looking at the MX4260 also actually. It's priced between the Raptor and SD models so it is not bad really. I think Toro has rebates going on right now anyway. Too many damn choices.
Again, not a fan of the Toro brand, but to each his own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeetShooter View Post
Go out and drive them... I drove the Timecutter and thought, "wow this is great!" Then I drove a Bobcat ztr and there is no comparison... Much smoother on the hydro's vs. the Toro Timecutter. If you can, I would suggest going for a test drive.
Read my comments above on the Toro. Lol. Thing is, the dealers around here don't really let you demo any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Both the pioneer and Titan are solid choices.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know this is going to sound silly, but I don't really like the looks of the Exmarks. And I REALLY don't like their pricing. But yeah, solid piece of machinery otherwise...and as whole, people really seem to love their Exmarks.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep the opinions coming guys. But back to the original question...

What about the 48'' versus the 54'' in my situation? What would you guys do? And after extensive (read: exhaustive) research, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going with the Hustler brand. Best bang for my buck in the $4000 price point, plus they've been in business the longest. Which is always a bonus. (And I know that's not everything because some companies that have been around for a very long time have fallen off, but not really the case with them).
Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

The raptor SD also has beefier spindles and higher blade tip speed than the standard raptor. One of the major selling points for me on the 54" Raptor SD was the 18,900 FPS blade tip speed. The stock low lift blades do an excellent job cutting and dispersing the clippings; there isn't even the slightest hint of windrows after cutting.