Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
I went out and tested both the RSD 48" and the Snapper Pro s50xt 48". I like them both and the dealers are both good. Same turn around time should it need repairs. The Snapper has better hydros and a removable floor pan. Not sure how important a removable floor pan is for maintenance? Also, not sure which deck would be better, the ICD or the Hustler.

Retro said he is out of the RSD models, so I guess they are doing good.

He said that they've both (RSD and ZT Elite) been good sellers but that he can't seem to keep up with the RSD's because they've been selling so well.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I can see why. It is a great unit. I'd much rather get the RSD over the Raptor. Glad I didn't settle last yr when I started my search.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the extra stoutness and the few extra bells and whistles of the BB, what I don't like is that to get something comparable to the BB in Hustler lineup, I'd have to step up to the Fastrak and spend 1k more. And I'm already stretching my budget with the ZT Elite. I definitely don't want to spend any more than 4-5k for my needs.

BUT Hustler has the warranty and the 50 years in the bizz to make up difference. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
I can see why. It is a great unit. I'd much rather get the RSD over the Raptor. Glad I didn't settle last yr when I started my search.

I concur. It doesn't pay to go with the Raptor when there's the RSD. The extra $1000 you spend is well worth the cost considering what they're giving you.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Interested in this thread. New to the forum, but in a similar dilemma. Considering the Hustler Raptor 42". What is the RSD? Who makes it?
Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
Interested in this thread. New to the forum, but in a similar dilemma. Considering the Hustler Raptor 42". What is the RSD? Who makes it?

Hustler (R)aptor (S)uper (D)uty.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the clarification. I've been looking at so many different mowers, they are all running together.

I have a similar setup....1/2 acre yard in a residential neighborhood. I'm targeting the 42" mainly because I live on a cul-de-sac lot meaning my front is narrow, small and somewhat harder to navigate a bigger unit. The back is a different story. Large and a little irregular shaped because of the cul-de-sac shape. Right now, part of the yard has a slope (about 7-10 degrees) away from the house. We want to do some landscaping and possible re-grading but not 100% sure the right plan of action. But that being said, I only anticipate my open space will get more obstacles making me want to stick w/ the 42".

When comparing the Raptor to the RSD, I obviously see some upgrades, but I'm not sure how much impact they will have on an average home owner mowing 26 weeks/year at max for 30-40 minutes each time (w/ ZTR). So maybe 15 hours per year is my assumption.

The hydros is probably the biggest difference, but looking at the data sheets it doesn't seem like there is a night & day difference. Yes, the 2800's are better. Am I missing something?

http://www.hydro-gear.com/main/produ...transaxles/ezt
http://www.hydro-gear.com/main/produ...saxles/zt-2800

Speaking of the hydros...how will this unit do for moderate towing of attachment? I'm not looking to haul 500+ lbs of dirt and firewood. But some general common attachments? And does the Raptor or RSD have a built-in hitch, or is that an upgrade?

Also, the blade tip speed is different....16,700 (42") vs 18,600 (48"). I'm not sure how to analyze that data. I know 19,000 is the max but will 16,700 produce a noticeable windrow?

For the price point of the Raptor, you get a better frame, deck and manufacturer vs the "big box" store units but at the box store price of $2800. Not that it matters, but I plan to purchase with cash. I can afford either the Raptor or RSD, but don't want to over spend on the "my d*ck is bigger than yours" syndrome.

Maybe you've already analyzed these points, and can chime in. Or maybe they are relevant speak to your purchase decision also. Either way I'd like to hear more on them.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got the Toro MX4260. I looked hard at the Hustlers and probably would have purchased one but there is little dealer/service support in my area. I won't try to sell you on the Toro but my only concern is the sealed hydros. Other than that it is a little tank with a 10 gauge fabbed deck, sides (skirts) are 7 gauge, and a bull nose front trim.

Also price bagger and mulch kit. With tax this added nearly a grand to the MSRP, which was discounted by $200.00.

Regarding tires from what I understand wider tires don't necessarily mean better traction.

Regarding deck size a smaller width deck means less scalping, better cut on any undulating ground areas, as well as better maneuverability, and easier to store.

In the end I bought my mower because of the number of service shops that are in my area and are reputable and certified.

I really wanted a commercial WB but they cost as much or more and I figured I could do better with leaves, dethatcher, etc., with the Z.

Best of luck- from what I've gathered Hustler seems to be an excellent choice.

DC
Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=nolimits76;5028161]Thanks for the clarification. I've been looking at so many different mowers, they are all running together.

I have a similar setup....1/2 acre yard in a residential neighborhood. I'm targeting the 42" mainly because I live on a cul-de-sac lot meaning my front is narrow, small and somewhat harder to navigate a bigger unit. The back is a different story. Large and a little irregular shaped because of the cul-de-sac shape. Right now, part of the yard has a slope (about 7-10 degrees) away from the house. We want to do some landscaping and possible re-grading but not 100% sure the right plan of action. But that being said, I only anticipate my open space will get more obstacles making me want to stick w/ the 42".

When comparing the Raptor to the RSD, I obviously see some upgrades, but I'm not sure how much impact they will have on an average home owner mowing 26 weeks/year at max for 30-40 minutes each time (w/ ZTR). So maybe 15 hours per year is my assumption.

The hydros is probably the biggest difference, but looking at the data sheets it doesn't seem like there is a night & day difference. Yes, the 2800's are better. Am I missing something?

http://www.hydro-gear.com/main/produ...transaxles/ezt
http://www.hydro-gear.com/main/produ...saxles/zt-2800

Speaking of the hydros...how will this unit do for moderate towing of attachment? I'm not looking to haul 500+ lbs of dirt and firewood. But some general common attachments? And does the Raptor or RSD have a built-in hitch, or is that an upgrade?

From what I understand the 2800s are serviceable; the ezt's are not. The next question, of course, is how much that matters. I know a new transmission is more than 600 bucks, not counting labor. So if you cannot service a spent ezt transmission and have to buy a new one, better start saving now.

I'm praying the ezt's last me a decade. By that time I'll be golfing, fishing, or napping, not mowing.

DC
Old 05-04-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking around, I found another thread here where a member, retrodog, stated the EZT's were rebuildable about 70% of the time. The thread dates back to 2012, so it may no longer be relevant. But I'd love to hear more about this for anyone in the know.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316442&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I liked the old thread, the only thing I don't agree with is a customer having to buy a pump.. We rebuild the ezt's (can be done 70% of the time, izts are a little better on the percentage), and we charge between $90 to $150 a pump. For the customer they would prolly chance breaking them open to potentially save $800 bucks or so... They are so easy to rebuild, most of the time its just the rebuilt kit is all you need, bearings, gaskets, and new oil.