Register free!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of plow damage thus far

We have 1 large commercial I turned on yesterday.

When I got to the third clock there was over 15 saddles/heads damaged and counting..

God bless the shop vac for cleaning out muddy holes and clearing dirty lines.

The shop vac so far this year is my favorite tool hands down...

I'm not a fan of dewalt by any means, but the battery lasts and the vac itself takes a beating and keeps on ticking!!!!!

I'll dump my pics for the past few weeks.

It looks like someone ripped the drip with my fittings and then a dog came by and tore the inline apart.

Builder system we maintain after its installed...FREE house washing!!!

Anyone ever see or hear this happen with a tank? Looks like the stem failed. Thats all I got I'm not a well guy. Although I wish I was.

http://s660.photobucket.com/user/whi..._1258.mp4.html

DAM plows! Keeps us busy

We had this account.. Landscaper/ designer came in and installed the drip after planting. We lost the account to the landscaper.. Years went by landscaper did the turn on, never had good flow.. Well, We got paid handsomely to come in and fix the problem..Wasn't hard to figure out after I found it was only fed once by 17MM drip netafim. To guess they put 3-4 rolls per zone, 6 zones....Even with the down hill the drip wouldn't work properly.. As we all know, Either you pay me to do it right, or you pay me even more to fix the mistakes

The plastic bag really is the trademark of the piker....

Time for work be good lads!!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shop vacs work, I don't care what some people think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of old systems were installed without valve boxes. A plastic sheet covering for the valves was as good as they got. There was even an accessory sold, a yellow-painted square of steel plate welded to a spike, that could be stuck in the ground next to the valves, presumably for locating with a metal detector.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
A lot of old systems were installed without valve boxes. A plastic sheet covering for the valves was as good as they got. There was even an accessory sold, a yellow-painted square of steel plate welded to a spike, that could be stuck in the ground next to the valves, presumably for locating with a metal detector.
In a lot of school systems that I've located (-3' depth) there's a pvc tube with a plastic plug over the concrete vault. I assume that it's for identifying the vault with a probe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is/was an accessory that might match that, being a locking rubber plug for 2-inch PVC pipe. It operates with a square key like for a log lighter valve. Its stated purpose was for access to brass sprinkler angle valves with the brass-cross handle, used for system drains.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Ive seen em made of plywood.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen them made out of coffee cups .

Always a good laugh when discovered
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 gallon disposable plastic flower pots are popular here, especially for extensions or wire splices.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New place for the TDR in the go to arsenal of trouble shooting.

A few years ago we took over the service on this account. A few things I hate about going here is a rotor zone is tied into drip beds for roses and other plantings.YUCK. Also the dedicated drip zones are fed with only 17mm tubing, 1 feed @ valve. These drip zones work ok because the well kicks serious a$$. Clay in a few areas, with drip buried about 6-8 inches down in some places. The problem was the installer put the privet with full sun sandy soil on the same hydrozone as the heavy clay shady rodies. So for the past few years the plants never grew. The 5x25 side strip spray nozzles for the turf draining down the hill and the heavy buried drip in the clay soil there was no gas transfer for the plants. This is what I would call a classic example of double watering and not paying attention to soil/shade/sun.

So I had Jerry get in there find the netafim, rip it out put in ram tube to feed rest of zone. Took him a while as it was deep and the landscapers just put down fresh mulch, yay.

Same Job, the sod is ordered, a lot of pipes are cut, sod installers will be here in a few hours. It would of been nice if someone told the water guy.

Same place- Mice in the valve box gets you open line at the clock.

Action shot of the shop vac.

Jerry getting in on replacing some leaky valves. No I didn't rebuild the manifold. No need to it was in tact. The valves on the other hand were worn out.

I'm a big fan of these little brushes to clean dirt off male and female fittings.

With my multimeter at the doctor's I am forced to use the snapper..
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have been sucking up clients from this "irrigation contractor" for years.
His father used to just put regular wire splices in a bag wrap it in duct tape and done. No econo box no protection.
Now his son has taken over the business. He used silicone wire nuts, an econo box, and still puts the bag around the splices with electrical tape!!! MOVING UP in the world on his installs!

Talk about a waste of time, energy and money.

This yard used to look so good until the septic repair.

I really love big water (for me) jobs. Soccer field for a town in Brewster. 2 inch main. I-40'S throwing in a box formation.

Pic of the 5hp booster. System runs on a PMV boosting the water from the 1.5 poly line coming in about 1000 yards from street. The volume is clearly there, but the flow needs a kick up in pressure. Turn on this year Zone 1 is on, nothing. Zone 2 same, finally 3 comes up. Zones 1 and 2 were deadheading that booster for god knows how long. My guess is the pump is burned out.
Call the well guy! Also Why do you suppose they used the 1 inch copper after the pump into the 2 inch main?

IMHO the pump does not sound right.. Video of pump running.
http://s660.photobucket.com/user/whi..._1322.mp4.html

Bottom of the T cracked. PITA to get this sucker back up and running.

The smallest tiny crack at this bottom T.

WTF~

Some hack (not me) buried this wire 2 inches below grade. So naturally I cut it and had to jump it. Used 4 90's to keep stress off pipe, put in new valves.

The co workers usually hook up to the gas line just to nail down the right spot to dig!.. Always double check your local utility companies.

Action shot of Jerry finding the gas.. 4 FEET DEEP! Like I said before show it to me at least 1 time and ill feel good about it.. At this install we still dug it right at the meter, half way down the stretch, and close to the street.

Jerry is a great worker, loves to learn and has really shown his worth this season. He knows how to dig the grass right keep the mess down ect... Glad to have him

Got to love the 255 at times... This day in particular the steering tire threw a chain, barely got it on the trailer. Any way Got to love squeaking through a gate!

After the 255 went down I picked up the 410for the front yard.

My back already hurts from just looking at all this drip.

Action video of Jerry using shop vac!!! GO JERRY!
http://s660.photobucket.com/user/whi..._1308.mp4.html

Picked up this client this year, previous service tech just left his old solenoids in the box... HACK! PICK UP YOUR trash.