I smell a shop vac rep
Posted via Mobile Device
That's funny!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay1622 View Post
When I worked for an irrigation supply house, the Toro P-220 series valve was really popular with the commercial repair guys. It's a 3-way (in-line or angle) and has lots of cool features.

Around $60 for a 1" but good value IMHO.

I had an irrigation tech tell me he would use the P-220 angle set up and had a cool trick if their was ever debris stuck in the valve. He would install it with a ball valve right before the inlet on the angle set up, which he would close, then take out the plug on the inlet side of the in-line connection and hook up a Male Apapter with IPS hose and another ball valve. Then he could open up the first BV and flush out debris. He said he got a lot of use from that set up.

I have not had any chance to use it, but maybe somebody else has done it this way and can point out the Pro's and Con's
How many guys even install shutoffs before valves? Not a big deal on small resi systems but large commercial jobs, ive always appreciated isolation valves for repairs or isolating leaks.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
How many guys even install shutoffs before valves? Not a big deal on small resi systems but large commercial jobs, ive always appreciated isolation valves for repairs or isolating leaks.
I doubt that you've ever seen a system designed with proper isolation. I never have.
For repairs there should be isolation prior to each valve or manifold of valves.

Mainlines should have valves in place at reasonable intervals for maintenance and emergency shut down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I doubt that you've ever seen a system designed with proper isolation. I never have.
For repairs there should be isolation prior to each valve or manifold of valves.

Mainlines should have valves in place at reasonable intervals for maintenance and emergency shut down.
I would agree for any system outside small residential (< acre).
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I would agree for any system outside small residential (< acre).
Small residential systems don't require isolation valves. Properly installed they have working backflow assemblies to isolate the irrigation from the domestic water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
So agreed. I have one condo community that is not going to have the water turned on anytime soon. Mainline and 1.5" valve were broken due to new construction a few weeks ago. We dug it up, prepped it, staked and taped it off, and now it is buried under many feet of dirt. The pipe is open, and I can't fire up the system until that is fixed. With an ISO valve in the mainline, I could start up probably 80% of the system. This project has been a nightmare for three years.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
So agreed. I have one condo community that is not going to have the water turned on anytime soon. Mainline and 1.5" valve were broken due to new construction a few weeks ago. We dug it up, prepped it, staked and taped it off, and now it is buried under many feet of dirt. The pipe is open, and I can't fire up the system until that is fixed. With an ISO valve in the mainline, I could start up probably 80% of the system. This project has been a nightmare for three years.
It's just my opinion but I feel that anytime there's a tee or cross on a mainline there should be a valve on each downstream line. That allows repairs or leak detection testing to be performed without shutting down the entire system.

In all residentials (as Kirl was referring to) water flow can be mitigated with backflow or master valves for isolation. There's more drain time and mess but at least the waters off for repair or testing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
I have big resi up on the seacoast. 28 zones or so. We have an iso between the front and rear. Athltic fields get one at every valve.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
I have big resi up on the seacoast. 28 zones or so. We have an iso between the front and rear. Athltic fields get one at every valve.
At the valve, that's my point. There should be an ISO valve on the mainline after any tee or cross to boot. Shutting the valve down won't help a mainline leak or break. Sounds like your fields are installed similar to ours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
. Sounds like your fields are installed similar to ours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty much standard design for most designers I would imagine. Have only seen a handful of prints for fields that didn't have em.