Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stimpmeter - 11 to 12

Weather - 06/09/14 - 06/15/14

High = 90*
Low = 70*
Scattered afternoon shower's

You can't get a humidity forecast more than 2 day's in advance, but right now it look's comfortable.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USNC0529
Old 06-08-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Look at these picture's, that's as close to target golf and not being anywhere near the desert as you can get. I read that there was 1150 sprinkler head's before the renovation and 450 afterward's. That is what a golf course with only center line irrigation look's like in the summer. I think this is going to be a good tournament.

http://www.pinehurst.com/golf/courses/no-2/

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/course/index.html
Looks like we could get a tee time on the 26th, that would be sweet, if I had been playing some.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, you only have to pay $475 per person and that's before your caddie fee. I think that's about $75 and a average tip is about $50. I only know one person that's played #2.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Yeah, you only have to pay $475 per person and that's before your caddie fee. I think that's about $75 and a average tip is about $50. I only know one person that's played #2.
Ive played Torrey Pines, the only Open Course Ive played.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thereís going to be a lot of brown on the course this week and a lot of rough edges. I wonder how this will be taken by the players and by the public. Remember when the players had a fit about all the brown grass at Shinnecock in 2004, which resulted in Mark Michaudís departure?

I understand that Coore and Crenshaw were trying to bring No. 2 closer to its original design and look, but I think that it can be easy to forget that everyone (even the great golf GCAs of the old days) are at least partially influenced by their environment.

I think that Ross, Tillinghast, Mackenzie, Maxwell, et al., designed/built courses with rough edges and lots of brown turf because those were the achievable maintenance standards of the day. Especially in the Great Depression era, irrigation of and maintenance of rough areas (and many fairway areas) wouldnít nearly have been on their radar screens. Does this mean that they wouldnít have wanted maintained rough areas if they could have had them? Does this mean that if Donald Ross had been a designer in 2000 vs 1920, he wouldnít have done anything differently? Should we shun air travel by players and spectators to these tournaments in preference of trains and old cars, just because thatís how things were done in Donald Rossís heyday?

I get it Ė the course looks cool and probably plays great. So, what is our aim here? Are we trying to play the same thing that Donald Ross intended (get out the gutta percha balls and persimmon woods)? Are we trying to play the same thing that was in the old B&W photos (letís go back to sand greens)? The purpose of the redesign doesnít seem clear to me.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Thereís going to be a lot of brown on the course this week and a lot of rough edges. I wonder how this will be taken by the players and by the public. Remember when the players had a fit about all the brown grass at Shinnecock in 2004, which resulted in Mark Michaudís departure?

I understand that Coore and Crenshaw were trying to bring No. 2 closer to its original design and look, but I think that it can be easy to forget that everyone (even the great golf GCAs of the old days) are at least partially influenced by their environment.

I think that Ross, Tillinghast, Mackenzie, Maxwell, et al., designed/built courses with rough edges and lots of brown turf because those were the achievable maintenance standards of the day. Especially in the Great Depression era, irrigation of and maintenance of rough areas (and many fairway areas) wouldnít nearly have been on their radar screens. Does this mean that they wouldnít have wanted maintained rough areas if they could have had them? Does this mean that if Donald Ross had been a designer in 2000 vs 1920, he wouldnít have done anything differently? Should we shun air travel by players and spectators to these tournaments in preference of trains and old cars, just because thatís how things were done in Donald Rossís heyday?

I get it Ė the course looks cool and probably plays great. So, what is our aim here? Are we trying to play the same thing that Donald Ross intended (get out the gutta percha balls and persimmon woods)? Are we trying to play the same thing that was in the old B&W photos (letís go back to sand greens)? The purpose of the redesign doesnít seem clear to me.
Ive never seen the point of 12" rough, its not very enteraining to watch a professional hack a ball out of 30 feet. Then a really bad shot winds up where the patrons have been walking and the player winds up with a nice lay.

I miss the days of Persimmon woods, and shot making golf. Its all about distance now. The average Joe cant really play a 7600 yard golf course.

Modern technology is causing the game to become less popular. The same thing happened to Tennis in the early 1980s.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope one day tiger gets back to his old self. It's really sad what America has done to him. I understand he's a poster boy. But his personal life shouldn't have affected his career like it did

I can't remember any one ever getting hit as hard as he did
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I hope one day tiger gets back to his old self. It's really sad what America has done to him. I understand he's a poster boy. But his personal life shouldn't have affected his career like it did

I can't remember any one ever getting hit as hard as he did
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure he has a messed up Heart, and that's his problem. Golf and Golf Patrons have treated him very well.

The mechanics of his swing has caused him what appears to be perminate injurys.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Sure he has a messed up Heart, and that's his problem. Golf and Golf Patrons have treated him very well.

The mechanics of his swing has caused him what appears to be perminate injurys.
Injuries get the best of us. I tore a ligament in half when I was a kid after that I couldn't golf anymore.

That injury came back to haunt me in basketball going into high school. I made it to the "junior Olympics" bowling though. But that caused it's own problems.

How many 8 year old kids did you know that had arthritis ? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Injuries get the best of us. I tore a ligament in half when I was a kid after that I couldn't golf anymore.

That injury came back to haunt me in basketball going into high school. I made it to the "junior Olympics" bowling though. But that caused it's own problems.

How many 8 year old kids did you know that had arthritis ? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't know you could get hurt before your 40, now approaching 50 everything hurts.