Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

How many lawns to make a living?

Ok so here is my idea. I am starting a small lawn business at the moment, and I think its a good time to start getting a couple customers and grow over the years. I am a freshman and high school and was wondering around how many lawns would I need a week to make a decent living. (around 50k) I was thinking if I could start getting jobs in high school that would make a better way to get into the business and wouldn't have to worry about making ends meet.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

walkerway

You think mowing grass is easy money don't ya, think again. Cranky customers, long hot days, breakdowns, rising fuel costs, and everyone else that wants to start a lawn care business low balling it and ruining it for the professionals.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I started working for another lawn company when I was 14, started driving the trucks and ztrs when I was 16.

Now I am 21, and in my 3rd year of college and I am just now starting a business.

I would work with another company for a couple of years before going out on my own, helps you learn the tips and tricks to make sure you do a safe, quality job everytime.

Even working for another company, I was making $12/hr, and always had waaay more money than my other friends who were getting $9/hr at whatever crappy restaurant they worked at.

It aint that bad being able to be the kid in highschool with a truck, 2 motorcycles and a boat.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanracer View Post
I started working for another lawn company when I was 14, started driving the trucks and ztrs when I was 16.

Now I am 21, and in my 3rd year of college and I am just now starting a business.

I would work with another company for a couple of years before going out on my own, helps you learn the tips and tricks to make sure you do a safe, quality job everytime.

Even working for another company, I was making $12/hr, and always had waaay more money than my other friends who were getting $9/hr at whatever crappy restaurant they worked at.

It aint that bad being able to be the kid in highschool with a truck, 2 motorcycles and a boat.
Your last sentence says it all!

Work hard and learn from your mistakes...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haake View Post
Ok so here is my idea. I am starting a small lawn business at the moment, and I think its a good time to start getting a couple customers and grow over the years. I am a freshman and high school and was wondering around how many lawns would I need a week to make a decent living. (around 50k) I was thinking if I could start getting jobs in high school that would make a better way to get into the business and wouldn't have to worry about making ends meet.
It's going to take a lot of work, going into my 5th year in business and I don't pay myself $50,000 a year... Granted I'm still growing and reinvesting in the business so that's mostly why. This year will be two crews of two guys each and around 75 lawns per week, one grass crew and one landscape crew.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan on 50k a week then probably 2500 plus accounts. For 50k a year just mowing you will need about 85 accounts not including any overhead. If you add in landscaping, you make a lot more. Mowing should be 1/3 of you income at most. It is to keep you busy. Not sure you have to worry about that just yet. If i were you i would work on getting a few years of experience wile you have free living expenses.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start mowing lawns in your neighborhood and get a job working for a respectable lawn care company. I was fortunate enough to have a neighbor who had an extremely successful lawn care business. He taught me everything I know about commercial mowing. Working with him gave me the knowledge to go from being a kid witha mower to a professional landscaper and lawn care provider.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All depends on your market 1 lawn or 100 lawns to get you to clear 50k
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haake View Post
It could take one lawn or it could take more.

If you write a business plan, you will be able to answer your own question.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on the size of the lawns you're mowing. In Vegas the average lawn is 1200 square feet. In the mid west people have several acres. Personally my average lawn is around 4500 square feet. My average client pays 32/week for mowing. My mowing season is about 28 weeks. To gross 50k that's 60 clients. Personally I use 95% Exmark 30's and 21's so my equipment cost is really low. In my area I would guess the number of clients to NET 50k would be the 75 client area. That's 15 lawns/day. If you get into fertilization, weed spraying, bush trimming, and other services the number of clients could be as low as 50ish. After a couple seasons of mowing 15/day it can easily get you considering going up to 100 clients, hiring someone to help you, and earning as much if not more and working less hours. As you grow and gain experience you will learn a lot and get a feel of where you want to be. I don't think most people want to be mowing for 40 years solo though.